Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to tackle my live long sleep problem once and for all!!!!! page

Michiel is offline Member

I need to tackle my live long sleep problem once and for all!!!!!

Primal Fuel
    It is terrible. I have been sleeping terribly bad forever. I can't remember when I slept good in this country (The Netherlands). In Spain I slept good at a ranch where you slept in a pitch black room so today I will buy some cardboard to seal my windows when I sleep. Hope that helps.

I am already not using electronics enough hours before bedtime, I even read and write by candlelight. I bought a set of towels yesterday to darken my room with by using ductape, but they fell of during the night and I woke up at 5 am, after no more than 5 hours of mild sleep. I cancelled my appointments today to have a little sleep after, which always goes with waking up every half hour or so.

I had some very deep sleep when I started paleo april 1st, but now it seems to not go so well anymore. It is getting summer and my big windows on the south aren't working for sure. Hopefully that is fixed today.

Eating fish seemed to help. I'll give that a bigger try today. Maybe buy so quality fish oil supplements?

Any suggestions would be so appreciated. I am recovering from a mental illness and bad sleep is the big stressor of that all. I can truly say it has been ruining my live so far.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Meditate for at least 30mn in the evening and don't eat too much just before going to bed. You need to lower your stress level. Have you checked your cortisol levels ? Chronically elevated cortisol has also a negative influence on T4 to T3 thyroid hormone conversion and can therefore induce further sleep issues.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Some people find eating carbs as part of their evening meal helpful for sleep. I don't know what carbs you eat, but you could try eating the majority of them with your evening meal.

Also, alcohol is not good for sleep quality.

Thanks, yes alcohol is not a good idea. It is very nutrient depleting and gets me tired for days. I hardly drink it, but did so two weeks ago. Bad idea even though it was little.

I like the meditation idea. Focussing on love for 30 minutes or so could be could. I probably have a cortisol problem, but do not know what to do against it.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Michiel,

My wife is trying to fix a cortisol problem (that is why I know a little about it). Her cortisol levels are erratic throughout the day and that is not good (should be highest in morning and decrease toward evening). It also has a effect on thyroid function: her TSH and T4 levels are normal but T3 is a bit low. It is most likely because of her cortisol level, which affect liver function for T4 to T3 conversion (creates reverseT3 which is inert and a dead end: rT3 will not go back to active T3). She has been taking some supplements (but also for up-regulating her progesterone among other things): agnus castus, arctic root, NT-factor, and other stuff which I can post back later.

Thnx but I really want to tackle the root of the problem.

The problem unfortunately remains unsolved. And it is my my main problem

Last night I turned of all equipment with wifi in it. Believe it or not but this actually stopped a nagging feeling in my head.

Today I am going to buy plants for my room. I find being inside frustrating day and night. I feel so toxicated. When I have the energy I'll put all sorts of plastics in boxes and clean my room with some kind of natural cleaning soap.

I am even considering building a green wall inside my bedroom.

But first some plants today.

Any advise is more than welcome!!! I am desperate.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium helps me sleep. I take 250mg in the evening.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Check into the amino acids l-theanine and Gaba. I take that with magnesium just before bed and it seems to make a big difference.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the magnesium suggestion.

Maybe getting some exercise during the day as well?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

jammies is offline Senior Member
    magnesium is a good suggestion. You could also look in to melatonin, 5-htp, or l-tryptophan before bed. They all are parts of the seratonin-melatonin-sleep hormones, but not everyone reacts well to them, so make sure to start slow and do your research. Personally, I find 5-htp to be very sedating.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast