Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is 30 minutes of jogging 4-6 times per week considered chronic cardio? page

Eureka5280 is offline Senior Member

Is 30 minutes of jogging 4-6 times per week considered chronic cardio?

I know marathon running and excessively long steady state cardio is considered harmful, but where do you draw the line? Is 30 minutes too much to do on a regular basis? Is there a duration that would be appropriate for a primal lifestyle, or is it the steady unchanging pace that makes jogging any significant distance a poor exercise choice overall?

Personally I enjoy jogging, although I've never really been in shape to go more than 30-45 minutes most of my life anyway. I find it gives me time to think and reflect, I suppose a long daily walk would provide the same time for introspection though.

Thanks for any advice or perspective you guys can provide!

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Some people would say yes, I disagree. If you like jogging then go for it. I like jogging too and have done it 4 to 5 times a week. I usually don't do more than 1 to 3 miles and a lot of times I alternate my running with walking intervals.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    If you are doing it because you enjoy doing it, then no. Jogging for 30 minutes will not raise your cortisol levels or cause inflammation. Chronic cardio is long, generally over an hour. Make sure you lift heavy things too.

You may consider running fractally. Start your jog, after a warm up, pick a point 100 yards ahead or so, and run really fast to that point, then slow down (or even walk), then start again. The best part is that runners call that a fartlek, which is the funniest word I know, but I've got the mentality of a 10 year old boy! It's better than just running at the same pace.

But the short answer is no, that's not chronic cardio.

Thanks guys! I'll try to vary my pace a bit and get some sprints in there as well.

Graycat is online now Senior Member
    Running might do nothing for you in terms of improving your appearance, but I don't thing it would hurt either. I run approx 25mi every week and love it.
    I like strength training too.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    I'll vote yes, seems like a lot of jogging. That's 3+ hours a week!

TheyCallMeLazarus is online now Senior Member
    30 min a day x 5 sessions weekly = 15 miles if you are slow, or about 25 miles weekly if you're on the fast side.. That is a lot of running.

I would agree with the gist of the previous posters, but I would add this: As a previously competitive triathlete, I constantly am warning people against what "going jogging" means for so many of my friends. What it means is that they go out, pick a rough distance, and run it as fast as they can without passing out or vomiting....to put it bluntly, that is a very stupid way to run if you intend to get faster or run longer. The saying is "long slow runs make long, slow runners."

I would look at running a given distance as fast as you can as "The Test". I recommend doing that no more than 1-2 a month. It is killer on your body in inflammation and everything else you don't want. "The Test" makes you weaker and slower. It is only meant as a means of tracking progress. The people that ignore that and simply "go run" is what makes it "chronic cardio" to me.

Cardio in itself is not bad, but it must be regimented. It's not like gym work, where literally about any combination of heavy compounds will make you stronger. Cardio has the ability to make you LESS fit, and that is unique to it.

Tempo runs (I heard Satan laughing for every one of those, pure misery), fartlek done spur of the moment, hills, pulls, all combined with a lot of LISS training (I hike Mt Mansfield in VT every Sunday, for example) is what will make you better at the beating that is pushing your pedal to the floor that is "The Test". You have to prepare first.

Sisson has a name for those that don't understand this premise, but it is known in the endurance sport community very well. "Clydesdales", "Survival Shufflers", "Milage Donkeys" = the more polite "chronic cardio" label. The very elite level will start to resemble it due to the need to make the body adapt to the stressor, but it's a really nasty trap.

Just vary it up, prob do a little less (I trained for full Ironman's with 4 days a week, 5-6 is excessive), and only take "The Test" when you get a free T-shirt at the finish line Good luck.
    Last edited by TheyCallMeLazarus; 06-05-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Great comments guys! I guess what I really should be asking is this: What should I be doing to increase my cardio fitness and stamina as thoroughly and quickly as possible, while not putting my body at risk of excessive inflammation or tissue damage?

If there is a better way to get my heart, lungs, and legs in shape so that I don't feel embarrassed trying to keep up with my friends on the mountain bike trail or on a tough 2 hour uphill hike then I am absolutely willling to replace jogging with whatever that is.

Thanks again!

astromom is offline Member
    I'm 7.5 weeks into eating primal and I still run frequently, although the last couple of weeks work has made for fewer runs. I love to trail run, so I plan to keep doing it and I think I will still try for that 50K I'd planned before going primal. I usually run at a comfortable pace, with the occasional fartlek run when the mood strikes me. Lately since going primal, I'm more willing to forgo a run and go for a hike with my family or run with my 10-year old daughter who runs a 12+ minute mile. Personally I think if I am really enjoying it, it isn't doing harm. I find running to be a good way to clear my head as well.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Eureka5280 View Post
    Great comments guys! I guess what I really should be asking is this: What should I be doing to increase my cardio fitness and stamina as thoroughly and quickly as possible, while not putting my body at risk of excessive inflammation or tissue damage?

If there is a better way to get my heart, lungs, and legs in shape so that I don't feel embarrassed trying to keep up with my friends on the mountain bike trail or on a tough 2 hour uphill hike then I am absolutely willling to replace jogging with whatever that is.

Thanks again!
    1) You are not putting yourself at risk of excessive inflammation or tissue damage jogging 4-6x week for 1/2 an hour. Full stop.

That said,

2) Jogging 4-6 times a week for 1/2 an hour is the least efficient way to improve your fitness. You're better off doing 10 hill sprints (total time, about 15 minutes when you factor in the rest between sprints) or intervals (running for 1 minute faster than normal, walking for 2 minutes).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast