Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is 30 minutes of jogging 4-6 times per week considered chronic cardio? page 2

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Eureka5280 View Post
    Great comments guys! I guess what I really should be asking is this: What should I be doing to increase my cardio fitness and stamina as thoroughly and quickly as possible, while not putting my body at risk of excessive inflammation or tissue damage?

If there is a better way to get my heart, lungs, and legs in shape so that I don't feel embarrassed trying to keep up with my friends on the mountain bike trail or on a tough 2 hour uphill hike then I am absolutely willling to replace jogging with whatever that is.

Thanks again!
    Do tabata's on the bike. There is just too much evidence out there today coming from experts such as Barry Ross, that you want to do short intense sprints with a short period of rest to build up endurance. The second part is following his methods of resistance training to get stronger.

Everyone here knows me as a big BBS fan. However, Barry Ross teaches strength training without going to fatigue so that you can go to fatigue in the sport you enjoy.

(Barry Ross trains Olympic athletes such as the Chinese Speed Ice Skating team.)

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    Do tabata's on the bike. There is just too much evidence out there today coming from experts such as Barry Ross, that you want to do short intense sprints with a short period of rest to build up endurance. The second part is following his methods of resistance training to get stronger.

Everyone here knows me as a big BBS fan. However, Barry Ross teaches strength training without going to fatigue so that you can go to fatigue in the sport you enjoy.

(Barry Ross trains Olympic athletes such as the Chinese Speed Ice Skating team.)
    +1

Tabata's on the stationary bike, strength training and daily walking. Wash, rinse, repeat. Increase the number of Tabata sets or increase the duration of the set to force adaptation. The strength training needs to be progressive too. Walking will get you time on your feet plus get the joints and connective tissues toughened up for the hiking.

Enjoy your new lifestyle. You'll be amazed at improvement over time without the huge time commitment and without slaying yourself through the workout grinder.

noquit is offline Junior Member
    Wouldn't it all depend on your heart rate?

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Hunter gatherer humans probably did far more than that.

Given modern transport and abundance of food within arm's reach at any given moment, 30 minutes a day looks gigantic effort.

FYI, when i was in military academy, walking or anyother form of mechanised trasnport was prohibited during the first term. "On the double" was the only acceptable mode of transport. First term lasted 6 months and that meant we jogged a lot. Everyone came out much stronger after the term.
    Few but ripe.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eureka5280 View Post
    I know marathon running and excessively long steady state cardio is considered harmful, but where do you draw the line? Is 30 minutes too much to do on a regular basis? Is there a duration that would be appropriate for a primal lifestyle, or is it the steady unchanging pace that makes jogging any significant distance a poor exercise choice overall?

Personally I enjoy jogging, although I've never really been in shape to go more than 30-45 minutes most of my life anyway. I find it gives me time to think and reflect, I suppose a long daily walk would provide the same time for introspection though.

Thanks for any advice or perspective you guys can provide!
    Are you happy that you can only last 30-45 minutes? If not change the course. Decrease the time and increase the intensity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12