Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Sausage not steak' increases heart disease risk ........harvard study today BBC news page

Paneristi is offline Member

Smile 'Sausage not steak' increases heart disease risk ........harvard study today BBC news

Primal Fuel
    Well looks as though theyre finally getting the message

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8688104.stm

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Not so sure if I agree with them on the salt or the nitrates, those are blunt assumptions with little substantiation. It is pretty high in arachidonic acid which can definitely lead to heart disease in excess and processed stuff doesn't have anywhere near the nutrient content of good meat. The little bit at the bottom where they concede that all they came up with is correlation, not necessarily causation is worth mentioning too. People more likely to eat processed meat are people who are more likely to eat other junk, they are the ones who indulge in EVERYTHING. Good of them to mention that.

*hugs mr. beef tongue* You're golden, buddy. Fucking golden
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

A.M. Roots is offline Member
    you and those cow tongues. I have to ask my farmer friends and see what's up. You've piqued my interest enough now. I will stab into that shit. I never ever thougt too. Can't promise I'll dig it but I have to say, has to be better than trype. I find the smell unappealling. I know it's good but, ugh.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Beef tongue is very fatty, very cheap, and I couldn't cook a steak if my life depended upon it but I can clean a cow tongue and throw it in a crock pot.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    My grass-fed guy sells his tongue for 10 cents a pound more than the beef variety pack. You can get a cow's head, too. I was thinking of having it delivered to the office.

Whopper is offline Junior Member
    seems to me that even those who like their bacon and sausage could always pick up the uncured or unsmoked variety, and have even less to worry about. not ordering the sausage and bacon breakfast at denny's isnt a bad start haha.

i just hate when meta analysis or epidemiological studies that show correlation come out with big headlines like 'sausage a day increases heart risk', which is what everyone's going to remember, instead of thinking about what aspects of it might be important, or considering confounds and causation.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    I may have to try cow tongue. I am cooking hearts at the moment so tongue can't be much worse. And sausages are shit if you look at the ingredients. Full of bad oils and flour.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Sausage isn't a dish, it's just a vehicle for meat with other stuff. They can be 100% perfect primal - my butcher makes sausages from lamb, extra lamb fat, salt & pepper, lemon zest, and some spices. They are ridiculous with a bit of tatziki and a lemon wedge, and if you're getting crazy, an onion sauteed in butter and some wilted spinach.

FrankOcean is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Sausage isn't a dish, it's just a vehicle for meat with other stuff. They can be 100% perfect primal - my butcher makes sausages from lamb, extra lamb fat, salt & pepper, lemon zest, and some spices. They are ridiculous with a bit of tatziki and a lemon wedge, and if you're getting crazy, an onion sauteed in butter and some wilted spinach.
    God! I just watched Julie & Julia and everything is better with butter!.. Just put brocoli, mushrooms, onions and few almonds in a casserole with butter and it was like heaven...

A girl friend of mine told me,"you will die soon!!" and I replied, Julia Child was almost 92 years old when she die, and she was really thin for most of her life.

She kept quiet after that

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    I like the occasional sausage in my primal omelet ... there are also different brands of sausages, and some contain lots of additives (sometimes even carbs) while others are - except for the salt and nitrate of course - quite compatible with the primal lifestyle. Surely you shouldn't base your diet on sausages, but IMO there's nothing wrong with the occasional indulgence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast