Thread: Hiking with Converse Chuck Taylors page

Mainer is online now Senior Member

Hiking with Converse Chuck Taylors

Ok, so I want some Vibram 5 Fingers but have to work up to this barefoot thing. I ditched the Chuck's at the gym and went with a really sweet and inexpensive aqua shoe that rocks. Will post pics later. Meanwhile I hiked for the first time up Spruce Mtn behind the house in hightop Converse Chuck Taylors.

So how was it?

It was a nearly barefoot experience and my feet are feeling it a bit, but in a good way. They were very grippy so I think they will work for awhile. I may progress to the aqua socks and then to the Vibrams........or...........I may stay with the aqua socks, who knows. I love them in the gym.

Meanwhile was going to take a pic of me in the Chucks and camera died. Did manage to snap a pic of the view which is awesome, you can see Mirror lake and the Penobscot Bay (Atlantic ocean) in the background.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mainer; 05-17-2010 at 06:14 PM.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

zibsca is offline Junior Member
    Gorgeous views, lucky you having it behind your house! I've been wondering how Chucks would work on trail, I'm not quite ready to go barefoot. Thanks for reporting back, I'm definitely going to try this.

Bird Goddess is offline Senior Member
    Chuck Taylors are flat and lack support, so they kind of are like a barefoot experience. What I love about Vibrams is the unique and very comfortable seperation of the toes. I've been wearing Vibrams for about a month, and now when I'm barefoot, I notice there is more space naturally occuring between my toes.

fxdwgmikeb is offline Senior Member
    I run outside in Vibram 5's. My gym shoes are feelmax, love them but hard to obtain in the US. My go to shoes for most every thing else are Converse. I buy them and remove the insoles for a little more room and better feel. Really wish they would make them in wide sizes.

Mainer is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by fxdwgmikeb View Post
    I run outside in Vibram 5's. My gym shoes are feelmax, love them but hard to obtain in the US. My go to shoes for most every thing else are Converse. I buy them and remove the insoles for a little more room and better feel. Really wish they would make them in wide sizes.
    I would agree on the width comment too!

Thanks Zibsca, really feel blessed to have this view by taking a 30 minute hike up the mountain behind the house. There are more awesome hikes around the area that offer even more spectacular views of the Atlantic Ocean. As far as the converse on the trail I am happy so far. I am going to attempt a hike in the aqua shoe this weekend possibly.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes