Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I Be Counting Calories? page

Wildrose is offline Senior Member

Should I Be Counting Calories?

I'm just wondering about this...

My weight loss has been a bit stalled out for around 2 months. My personal trainer thinks I should lower my calorie count, which sort of varies between 2,000 to 2,200, to 1,800. I dunno though. Sometimes I dip that low or lower naturally, but if I try to do it deliberately I generally feel hungry. Should I just wait for my weight loss to resume naturally? I'm around 250 lbs, 5'4 and female so I have a long way to go. Thanks!

Paleobird Guest
    Maybe track for a couple of weeks just to get an idea where you stand, then re-evaluate.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Maybe track for a couple of weeks just to get an idea where you stand, then re-evaluate.
    This.

Knowing your base resting metabolic rate for maintenance and then tracking for a little while to see where you fall in regards to toal calories vs. energy expenditure is useful. But you don't have to anal track it forever. In fact, I rarely do now. Once I got used to the level where my body sort of just felt "right" (which did require playing around with overall caloric intake a bit) I stopped worrying about it and just started going with the flow a bit more.

I eat a little more on lifting days but just a bit.

kiwigal is offline Senior Member
    Yes I now have to count calories. No fun at all LOL

Bobert is offline Senior Member
    200 cal should make 0 difference being 5'4 250 female.

I would look at in no order

1. Insulin response via meal frequency
    2. Sugar carb response(fruit) also in relation to insulin
    3. Inflammation caused by allergy or lack of micro nutrient

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    If you have a trainer, then you're working out which means building muscle. Continue to eat intuitively and measure, don't weigh. Let your clothes tell you what's working
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yes this sounds right.
    I did just that to put on weight- In doing so, I realized I needed to increase calories by about 15%.
    The calorie counting exercise 'recalibrated' what I saw as the right amount of food to eat - after that I stopped counting and just ate the new normal amount.

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Plateaus are really normal as your body resets! Make sure that as you lose you are reducing your caloric intake to fit your new body! A smaller body needs less fuel. I'd track for a week and then readjust basted on what you find. I'm in total agreement with other suggestions about insulin ect.
    Good luck with your journey!

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Out of interest - how do people count the calories in fresh foods - vegetables, fruits, meats, eggs etc?

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Out of interest - how do people count the calories in fresh foods - vegetables, fruits, meats, eggs etc?
    then there's something else: thermogenic effect of food is dependent on meal size! So if you ingest 1g of protein which is usually reported as 4kcal/g, its thermogenic effect (energy spent to metabolize it during digestion, or energy lost for its being metabolized) will be greater if you eat a big meal rather than a small! So you may end up effectively eating 3kcal per gram of protein instead of 4 ...

Tricky, isn't it ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast