Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I Be Counting Calories? page 2

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    then there's something else: thermogenic effect of food is dependent on meal size! So if you ingest 1g of protein which is usually reported as 4kcal/g, its thermogenic effect (energy spent to metabolize it during digestion, or energy lost for its being metabolized) will be greater if you eat a big meal rather than a small! So you may end up effectively eating 3kcal per gram of protein instead of 4 ...

Tricky, isn't it ?
    Wow that is even trickier, indeed.

To be honest I only consider calorie counting to be useful if you're eating foods that your own body cannot measure the intake of - i.e processed foods - and since i almost never eat them, I don't count calories either. I saw someone on here post a general principle of paleo which is that you are eating foods that your body can monitor and when you've had enough, you'll stop and not be hungry again until you need more. It works, and the longer you eat this way, the better it works.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I think tracking, to see where you are at now, definitely. If you decide you need to reduce your calories, take a look at intermittent fasting, and alternate day 'fasting'. Those are both alternatives to the standard 'low-calories all the time' plans that may have such a bad effect on your metabolism.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Out of interest - how do people count the calories in fresh foods - vegetables, fruits, meats, eggs etc?
    If you measure out a cup of something, say spinach, AFTER it's cooked, look at the caloric total of the cooked food.

But if you measured the cup out BEFORE you cooked it, basically when it was still raw, take the raw caloric total in one cup.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I have been counting my calories for a long time, using livestrong.com/myplate. I tend to be somewhere between 2k and 2,200. Sometimes I dip lower. Hmm, I'll have to think about it. Maybe some fasting might help.

BigChris is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    I have been counting my calories for a long time, using livestrong.com/myplate. I tend to be somewhere between 2k and 2,200.
    same here with me (well ok I only tray when I'm eating right - ie on and off for years)
    .. thu if I don't track then I can/do easly get way more cals very quickly and without trying.
    04/23/2012 Initial Weight : 445 lbs
    06/27/2012 Current weight : 403 lbs
    07/29/2014 Goal weight : 200 lbs

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    I have been counting my calories for a long time, using livestrong.com/myplate. I tend to be somewhere between 2k and 2,200. Sometimes I dip lower. Hmm, I'll have to think about it. Maybe some fasting might help.
    Don't tell your trainer you are fasting. Tell them you cycling calories.

Sent from my Nexus S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12