Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chips replacement? page

Waterlily is offline Senior Member

Chips replacement?

Shop Now
    The only bad food I can't kick are chips. I don't eat a lot, one small bag a week but I would like to replace it with something containing good fat. Any chips lovers here? What do you eat insted?

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    Try cheese, it's savoury and filling. What about fries? Baked sweet potato fries! Salt them liberally and marinate them in olive oil, bake for 30 mins. You can also eat raw veggies or a piece of fruit.

liza is offline Senior Member
    Chicharones - fried pork rinds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikee5 View Post
    Try cheese, it's savoury and filling. What about fries? Baked sweet potato fries! Salt them liberally and marinate them in olive oil, bake for 30 mins. You can also eat raw veggies or a piece of fruit.
    What shoul I set the oven at? How long? I had sweet potatoe fries at a restaurant once and it was very good. I

Quote Originally Posted by liza View Post
    Chicharones - fried pork rinds.
    Will have to look that up. Have no idea what it looks like and where I can find it.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    If you like carrots check this out...

PaleOMG – Paleo Recipes – Carrot Fries with Garlic Aioli

I would probably use coconut or macadamia nut oil though.

Markbt is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
    I Will have to look that up. Have no idea what it looks like and where I can find it.
    Pork rinds look very similar to chips except puffier. They are basically pork skin fried in its own fat and salted. Make sure you get unflavored, they have some gross red BBQ ones with all kinds of nasty crap in them. You can find them lots of places and they are VERY cheap. Check regular grocery stores, especially ones that cater to hispanic people. Most walmarts also have them. They are crispy and salty and can be used with salsa or dips. It is pretty much the closest primal alternative to chips.

Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    If you like carrots check this out...

PaleOMG – Paleo Recipes – Carrot Fries with Garlic Aioli

I would probably use coconut or macadamia nut oil though.
    Thanks! Looks very promising, yum! I will try it with coconut oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Markbt View Post
    Pork rinds look very similar to chips except puffier. They are basically pork skin fried in its own fat and salted. Make sure you get unflavored, they have some gross red BBQ ones with all kinds of nasty crap in them. You can find them lots of places and they are VERY cheap. Check regular grocery stores, especially ones that cater to hispanic people. Most walmarts also have them. They are crispy and salty and can be used with salsa or dips. It is pretty much the closest primal alternative to chips.
    Thanks! I'm worried about the fat used for them? Isn't it as bad as fries? Do they make them gluten free???

peppermint is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
    Thanks! I'm worried about the fat used for them? Isn't it as bad as fries? Do they make them gluten free???
    Pork skin is nice and fatty as is, so no added fat is needed to fry them, just the natural fat in the skin, and if you get the unflavored ones, the only ingredients are usually "pork rinds, salt" - so gluten free already.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Chips are not bad, in moderation. I love chips. I have 'replaced' chips by purchasing the GOOD chips, aka anything that isn't Lays or otherwise found at WalMart. You can find potato chips and sweet potato chips in the natural foods section; they key is to look at the ingredients, and buy the ones with three ingredients (potatoes, oil, salt). They also usually come in smaller bags, so if you eat one bag a week you are eating less chips. I enjoy Kettle Chips, personally.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Good to know, thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast