Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 68

Thread: Nailing the blood test page 3

  1. #21
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,742
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
    The point of the blood test is a clear proof of how healthy this diet is and as you said enjoy more freedom, so I can't risk running too low or high of anything.

    And about obsession, well... first it was (non) religion, then ethics, then politics, then economy, then ethics again, then philosophy, then self-development and now mainly sleep, nutrition, exercise, lucid dreaming and emotional introspection. So yes, I guess I'm quite obsessive with things
    Nevermind... I see.

    Sorry to tell you this, but unless your far outside of healthy then at the age of 15 your numbers should be pretty standard even if you were living on skittles. Usually takes decades to develop diseases of civilization and for test parameters to show abnormalities. Your on a good path to prevent such an end, but there probably isn't gonna be much up front to show for it.

  2. #22
    EatMoveSleep's Avatar
    EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Nevermind... I see.

    Sorry to tell you this, but unless your far outside of healthy then at the age of 15 your numbers should be pretty standard even if you were living on skittles. Usually takes decades to develop diseases of civilization and for test parameters to show abnormalities. Your on a good path to prevent such an end, but there probably isn't gonna be much up front to show for it.
    Yes I totally agree.
    A healthy teenager messing around with doctors and blood tests seems in itself not healthy (a contradiction?) .

    Don't go in to this super obsessive pursuit of 'health' - it can lead you the opposite of what you want and trying to achieve (it can actually lead to bad mental and physical health).

    “Avoid grains and process food/drink, sugar junk food, takeaways” - OK
    “Eat meat, veg, eggs, tubers, fruit and full fat dairy etc ( if you can take dairy)” - OK
    "Good sleep and exercise" - OK

    BUT:
    For you as a healthy growing 15yo - DONT DO : Ketosis, calorie limiting, I.F., carb (veg/tubers) avoidance, trying too hard to eat super-high fat diet, excessive exercise, extreme low body-fat %, pursuit of diet/health perfection, blood tests and doctors etc etc etc (these is NOT a healthy pursuit for you now IMO).

    Think of it like an apprenticeship of good health/diet – you wont be and expert overnight. It will literally take you about four years of steady study and practice, slowly over time things will “fall into place”, some years down the track you may consider yourself a practising ‘expert’ (but you never stop learning) – then you have the rest of your life to practice and improve on it if you want.

  3. #23
    Miguelinileugim's Avatar
    Miguelinileugim is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Valencia, Spain
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by awok677 View Post
    I would think that your strongest card to play is the disappearance of your IBS. What you really want for the next few years is that they don't try to force you to eat grains, legumes and nuts, right? Surely they're happy that you can eat without IBS symptoms and are happier and healthier for that? You don't need IBS with school work and exams. The lower carb side of it is something you can investigate for yourself when you have more control. If you need to make a concession to CW and eat more potatoes/carrots/starchy veggies to keep them happy, at 15, if you're relatively active, it shouldn't really affect you.

    I'd consider dairy as an option as well, both for fat and for the nod to CW, as long as you can avoid low fat options. i.e. don't bother with lower fat milk but enjoy your cheese and yoghurt and tell them it's good for vit D! But be aware that dairy can be implicated in acne, so that's something to keep an eye on.

    And watch the running. If you're already doing sprints and PBF then you might be better with gentle walks/hikes or easy cycling. Some days should be rest or very easy exercise.

    To be honest, unless you already have a blood problem, I can't see why you wouldn't have good enough results. I'm sure your parents just want to be sure you're not damaging your health. I had a quick google and at least on Amazon UK it looks like there may be a spanish translation of the Gary Taubes book - How We Get Fat and What to Do About It. Would 'Como engordamos' fit that? I would suggest this is probably the next best thing to your parents being able to read PBF as it covers the basics of why high carb CW diets are not working, in plain language for non-scientists and how what you are trying to do does work. Maybe something to help them understand why you feel so strongly.
    Thanks for your amazing reply awok667!

    Well, about the IBS, I can't prove my parents that this diet has solved it, I'll have to wait at least a month without symptoms before they believe it, that is, unless they rationalise it's not because of the diet (they might do that if they're really fanatical/skeptical)

    I've read about the issue of calcium and acne (4-hour body) and osteoporosis, so I think that unless I can taste 100% raw and organic milk I'll stop eating dairy (butter excluded!)

    And yes, I don't force things out, so I basically take a day of rest after any sprint session.

    And about the book, I think that no book on Earth is enough to overcome the skepticism of my father, beyond any extreme skepticism there's an even more extreme fanaticism, still he doesn't understand that part, he uses ad hominem, golden mean and straw man fallacies like there's no tomorrow.

    But well, at least he cares about me and gives me more than enough freedom for pursuing this diet, so I can't complain actually, but ignorance is as bad as egoism in most cases.

  4. #24
    Miguelinileugim's Avatar
    Miguelinileugim is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Valencia, Spain
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    First point 'nailing the blood test'( getting very good numbers - according to the lab and doctors) is NOT proof of how healthy you are or your diet is. Though it may be seen as 'proof' to CW doctors, health insurance companies, ( and parents).

    Consider the often quoted stat : half the people that have heart attacks have normal or low cholesterol numbers (good numbers according to CW doctors but they have heart attacks - so is this clear proof they are healthy ??). Often these people are checked by doctors and eat good CW diets - all is seen as good - but they have a heart attack.

    Some people use cholesterol lowering medication from doctors and go from healthy to depressed and forgetful ( and then need medication for depression) - all this to treat the non-disease of slightly "elevated" cholesterol.

    Its just a number, a high total cholesterol is not a illness and low doesn't mean you're healthy.
    Many indicators make up whether one is healthy or not.

    Secondly : lighten up a bit and have some fun - you're still a kid, enjoy it.
    If you're healthy, just eat plenty, get some simple exercise and I'd suggest you forget about the blood test for a few years (if healthy, I personally wouldn't bother until after 25yo).
    Thanks for your reply!

    I guess that the blood test should somewhat reflect reality, even if my cholesterol were a little high (I doubt it) it would probably be the only bad thing in my blood...

    And the blood test is half because of my parents and half because I really want to prove them I'm being healthy, so I guess it's a necessity. And if my health is good I'm extremely happy and energetic and social and all (especially after waking up euphoric, then I'm basically god) and I have fun my way, which involves the sensation of constant improvement and a lot of reading, so I guess I'm enjoying life so far.

    Of course, after this wave of improvements end I'll really start being happy (and I'm enjoying the path too!).

  5. #25
    Miguelinileugim's Avatar
    Miguelinileugim is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Valencia, Spain
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Why on Earth is a 15 year old getting blood tests?

    What disease process are you monitoring or what symptoms are you having?
    A possibly lethal eating disorder known as the primal diet, something extremely dangerous that might or might not kill me at my 120's of telomere shortening and happiness overdose.

  6. #26
    Miguelinileugim's Avatar
    Miguelinileugim is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Valencia, Spain
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Nevermind... I see.

    Sorry to tell you this, but unless your far outside of healthy then at the age of 15 your numbers should be pretty standard even if you were living on skittles. Usually takes decades to develop diseases of civilization and for test parameters to show abnormalities. Your on a good path to prevent such an end, but there probably isn't gonna be much up front to show for it.
    Well, at least I'll be able to calm my parents down! They're really worried about all this.

  7. #27
    Miguelinileugim's Avatar
    Miguelinileugim is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Valencia, Spain
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    Yes I totally agree.
    A healthy teenager messing around with doctors and blood tests seems in itself not healthy (a contradiction?) .

    Don't go in to this super obsessive pursuit of 'health' - it can lead you the opposite of what you want and trying to achieve (it can actually lead to bad mental and physical health).

    “Avoid grains and process food/drink, sugar junk food, takeaways” - OK
    “Eat meat, veg, eggs, tubers, fruit and full fat dairy etc ( if you can take dairy)” - OK
    "Good sleep and exercise" - OK

    BUT:
    For you as a healthy growing 15yo - DONT DO : Ketosis, calorie limiting, I.F., carb (veg/tubers) avoidance, trying too hard to eat super-high fat diet, excessive exercise, extreme low body-fat %, pursuit of diet/health perfection, blood tests and doctors etc etc etc (these is NOT a healthy pursuit for you now IMO).

    Think of it like an apprenticeship of good health/diet – you wont be and expert overnight. It will literally take you about four years of steady study and practice, slowly over time things will “fall into place”, some years down the track you may consider yourself a practising ‘expert’ (but you never stop learning) – then you have the rest of your life to practice and improve on it if you want.
    Well, I'm not trying to risk my health in the pursuit of greater health of course! But I want to improve my health hard and quick, so while I won't try anything extreme I'll try as hard as I can!

    And ideally I would "finish" this wave of improvements in my life in a month or so, and making everything fall into place, but now my life is basically chaos, but then everything should become regular.

    And maybe I'm not an expert, but so far I've given a 30 minutes long exposition about the primal diet in class and educated so many people about this that I've lost count!

  8. #28
    EatMoveSleep's Avatar
    EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
    Well, at least I'll be able to calm my parents down! They're really worried about all this.
    So it's the equivalent of passing a compulsory medical exam for work, or for medical insurance.
    The “pass” is to keep the officials happy that all the official ‘boxes are ticked’ – not to do with health of the individual.

    On that note, often people “cheat” (eat less fat, take certain supplements, fast, etc ) exclusively to lower their cholesterol to trick the lab test so they can keep their job or insurance. After doing this (and reducing their health in the process by some extreme practices) they go back to their healthier diet/lifestyle (higher fats etc).

    So you’re maybe trying to do the same – lowering your health, to get lab test numbers that ‘prove’ you’re healthy so you can keep your “job/hobby” (that is continue to be allowed eat Paleo) .

    It kind of reminds me of a medical joke:
    “The operation was successful, but the patient died”


    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
    Well, I'm not trying to risk my health in the pursuit of greater health of course! But I want to improve my health hard and quick, so while I won't try anything extreme I'll try as hard as I can!
    Often takes a lot of time – though many improvements can happen in a short time

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
    And ideally I would "finish" this wave of improvements in my life in a month or so, and making everything fall into place, but now my life is basically chaos, but then everything should become regular.
    !
    Like I said it takes years IMO – especially if you’re sick and spent years getting sick.
    Being young means you may not be that sick and can recover quickly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
    And maybe I'm not an expert, but so far I've given a 30 minutes long exposition about the primal diet in class and educated so many people about this that I've lost count!
    Don’t take it the wrong way – from what I read, I’m sure you’ve done plenty.
    I mean we are all still learning (I certainly am) – so much info out there.
    Everybody reacts differently to certain foods and ways etc – it takes years to learn what works well with own body and why (often a mystery – that’s where the expertise is). What works well for you, may not work well for me – this is the bit that takes time (again IMO).

  9. #29
    KimchiNinja's Avatar
    KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    1,664
    Quote Originally Posted by robtncqe View Post
    There is not enough fat here.
    Umm the poster is eating 50g+ of butter a day. That's a lot of butter. Plus 50g+ olive oil. Plus the meat. That's plenty of fat.

    This thread is awesome; someone smart actually eating right from a young age, and both parents want to stop it from happening. LOL.

    Keep up the good work! Wish I was as smart as you when I was 15!

  10. #30
    awok677's Avatar
    awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    UK, The South West
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
    Thanks for your amazing reply awok667!

    Well, about the IBS, I can't prove my parents that this diet has solved it, I'll have to wait at least a month without symptoms before they believe it, that is, unless they rationalise it's not because of the diet (they might do that if they're really fanatical/skeptical)

    I've read about the issue of calcium and acne (4-hour body) and osteoporosis, so I think that unless I can taste 100% raw and organic milk I'll stop eating dairy (butter excluded!)

    And yes, I don't force things out, so I basically take a day of rest after any sprint session.

    And about the book, I think that no book on Earth is enough to overcome the skepticism of my father, beyond any extreme skepticism there's an even more extreme fanaticism, still he doesn't understand that part, he uses ad hominem, golden mean and straw man fallacies like there's no tomorrow.

    But well, at least he cares about me and gives me more than enough freedom for pursuing this diet, so I can't complain actually, but ignorance is as bad as egoism in most cases.

    So it's concentrating on showing that you're fit and healthy after 2 months of Primal, especially that your IBS has improved. I'd say you might have to prepare yourself to compromise, just in case, in which case, the grains/legumes/sugar is the one thing you don't want back in your diet. So just be prepared to let them have potatoes and dairy initially. If you find you have an acne problem then you can do down the no-dairy route rather than taking medications, but unless it shows up or disturbs your IBS it's not going to do you any harm for a few years and there's plenty of healthy fats there, also Vit K2 is the butter is grass-fed.

    It always pays to have a fall-back position worked out and may stop them pushing for full reversion to CW. Best of luck.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •