Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nailing the blood test page 2

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
    (j3nn) Potatoes nutrient-dense? Are you sure?

(Mikee5) I choose what to eat, though my parents limit somewhat that, for example by preventing me from eating more than 1 egg a day. I'm 15 years old.

I can't find much fatty meat there, and I can't find any high fat food I can eat regularly (other than olive oil and butter, my parents won't let me eat more than 1 egg a day) and it's almost impossible to argue with my parents, because my mom is Mrs Conventional Wisdom and my dad is Mr Life Experience.

My parents won't let me buy supplements, and they're probably expensive too! And about fats I might as well triplicate my olive oil and butter intake if I thought it was necessary, 200-300 grams of carbohydrates doesn't seem healthy, can't I survive only with huge amounts of olive oil and butter? (I mean, to get enough fats)
    Yes. Potatoes are excellent! Here's a good post with some nutritional data: The Paleo Potato Debate: Sweet Potatoes vs White Potatoes
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

mike is offline Senior Member
    (j3nn) Potatoes nutrient-dense? Are you sure?

(Mikee5) I choose what to eat, though my parents limit somewhat that, for example by preventing me from eating more than 1 egg a day. I'm 15 years old.

I can't find much fatty meat there, and I can't find any high fat food I can eat regularly (other than olive oil and butter, my parents won't let me eat more than 1 egg a day) and it's almost impossible to argue with my parents, because my mom is Mrs Conventional Wisdom and my dad is Mr Life Experience.
    You live in Spain and you can't find fatty meat? What about pork? Embutidos? (I suppose embutidos aren't strictly paleo but I do like to follow the local customs

Miguelinileugim is offline Senior Member
    Spanish supermarkets are only slightly better than american ones in those aspects, is not like we have lots and lots of local fatty meats, I've found only "panceta" (bacon) but it's very disgusting and basically nothing else.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Once you've got your blood tests you'll probably have a lot more ammunition to support your arguments but keep in mind your parents haven't done a bad job within the limits of their knowledge. You aren't overweight for starters; unlike a lot of individuals your age and you sound comparatively fit. You're also bright and even though they're putting blockers on what you'd like to do they have obviously encouraged you to think for yourself.
    Try and get them to buy lamb, even lean lamb is comparatively fatter and you can point out lamb is the least interfered with meat,its not given hormones and antibiotics and is grass fed so is a very good choice as a meat, its not factory farmed and is an 'ethical' choice- that might fit in with their existing life style choices
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-29-2013 at 11:42 PM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    You’re 15 – I assume healthy apart from IBS that is presumably controlled by your diet.

So what is the point of the blood test and also “nailing it”?

Do you think you need it to get your parents off your back for eating real food? (and allow you to have more than 1 egg a day)
    Or are they bothering you because you seem too food obsessive (for a 15YO)?

shonieb33 is offline Junior Member
    Maybe you could read them the book in spanish? I have however, read that there are people on here that don't eat eggs due to allergies---

Anywhoooo, that's my two cents. I am way too new to really give too much feedback. But, I found this post quite fun to read, so I wanted to jump in!

One thing I do know for sure... you won't be 15 forever!

Good luck!
    S.

Miguelinileugim is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    Once you've got your blood tests you'll probably have a lot more ammunition to support your arguments but keep in mind your parents haven't done a bad job within the limits of their knowledge. You aren't overweight for starters; unlike a lot of individuals your age and you sound comparatively fit. You're also bright and even though they're putting blockers on what you'd like to do they have obviously encouraged you to think for yourself.
    Try and get them to buy lamb, even lean lamb is comparatively fatter and you can point out lamb is the least interfered with meat,its not given hormones and antibiotics and is grass fed so is a very good choice as a meat, its not factory farmed and is an 'ethical' choice- that might fit in with their existing life style choices
    Thanks! OK, for now I'll add lamb to my diet, though I doubt it is grass-fed and free of antibiotics and hormones

Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    You’re 15 – I assume healthy apart from IBS that is presumably controlled by your diet.

So what is the point of the blood test and also “nailing it”?

Do you think you need it to get your parents off your back for eating real food? (and allow you to have more than 1 egg a day)
    Or are they bothering you because you seem too food obsessive (for a 15YO)?
    The point of the blood test is a clear proof of how healthy this diet is and as you said enjoy more freedom, so I can't risk running too low or high of anything.

And about obsession, well... first it was (non) religion, then ethics, then politics, then economy, then ethics again, then philosophy, then self-development and now mainly sleep, nutrition, exercise, lucid dreaming and emotional introspection. So yes, I guess I'm quite obsessive with things

Quote Originally Posted by shonieb33 View Post
    Maybe you could read them the book in spanish? I have however, read that there are people on here that don't eat eggs due to allergies---

Anywhoooo, that's my two cents. I am way too new to really give too much feedback. But, I found this post quite fun to read, so I wanted to jump in!

One thing I do know for sure... you won't be 15 forever!

Good luck!
    S.
    Well, neither me nor my parents have sooo much time, if there only were a spanish version for the primal blueprint...

And yes, I try to make my posts near-perfect with OCD dedication and (too many) revisions, so it's no surprise it was fun to you!
    Last edited by Miguelinileugim; 05-30-2013 at 07:12 AM. Reason: OCD

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    I would think that your strongest card to play is the disappearance of your IBS. What you really want for the next few years is that they don't try to force you to eat grains, legumes and nuts, right? Surely they're happy that you can eat without IBS symptoms and are happier and healthier for that? You don't need IBS with school work and exams. The lower carb side of it is something you can investigate for yourself when you have more control. If you need to make a concession to CW and eat more potatoes/carrots/starchy veggies to keep them happy, at 15, if you're relatively active, it shouldn't really affect you.

I'd consider dairy as an option as well, both for fat and for the nod to CW, as long as you can avoid low fat options. i.e. don't bother with lower fat milk but enjoy your cheese and yoghurt and tell them it's good for vit D! But be aware that dairy can be implicated in acne, so that's something to keep an eye on.

And watch the running. If you're already doing sprints and PBF then you might be better with gentle walks/hikes or easy cycling. Some days should be rest or very easy exercise.

To be honest, unless you already have a blood problem, I can't see why you wouldn't have good enough results. I'm sure your parents just want to be sure you're not damaging your health. I had a quick google and at least on Amazon UK it looks like there may be a spanish translation of the Gary Taubes book - How We Get Fat and What to Do About It. Would 'Como engordamos' fit that? I would suggest this is probably the next best thing to your parents being able to read PBF as it covers the basics of why high carb CW diets are not working, in plain language for non-scientists and how what you are trying to do does work. Maybe something to help them understand why you feel so strongly.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    The point of the blood test is a clear proof of how healthy this diet is and as you said enjoy more freedom, so I can't risk running too low or high of anything.

And about obsession, well... first it was (non) religion, then ethics, then politics, then economy, then ethics again, then philosophy, then self-development and now mainly sleep, nutrition, exercise, lucid dreaming and emotional introspection. So yes, I guess I'm quite obsessive with things
    First point 'nailing the blood test'( getting very good numbers - according to the lab and doctors) is NOT proof of how healthy you are or your diet is. Though it may be seen as 'proof' to CW doctors, health insurance companies, ( and parents).

Consider the often quoted stat : half the people that have heart attacks have normal or low cholesterol numbers (good numbers according to CW doctors but they have heart attacks - so is this clear proof they are healthy ??). Often these people are checked by doctors and eat good CW diets - all is seen as good - but they have a heart attack.

Some people use cholesterol lowering medication from doctors and go from healthy to depressed and forgetful ( and then need medication for depression) - all this to treat the non-disease of slightly "elevated" cholesterol.

Its just a number, a high total cholesterol is not a illness and low doesn't mean you're healthy.
    Many indicators make up whether one is healthy or not.

Secondly : lighten up a bit and have some fun - you're still a kid, enjoy it.
    If you're healthy, just eat plenty, get some simple exercise and I'd suggest you forget about the blood test for a few years (if healthy, I personally wouldn't bother until after 25yo).

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Why on Earth is a 15 year old getting blood tests?

What disease process are you monitoring or what symptoms are you having?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast