Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sprints= pulled hamstring page 2

Trok is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    racingsnake, i personally have never had a pull like this one. however, in my coaching days, we'd have kids pull a hammy and be out for weeks...depending on the severity of course. i iced mine last night several times and twice today while teaching school. i'm hoping that i can get back to some light running in two/three weeks, then gradually build up to some sprint work. getting back to running too soon will only cause more damage. i sure am going to miss the sprints though.

Godzilla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trok View Post
    I can't believe it's my age, can you?
    Age is a state of mind, amigo. You and I, we keep going no matter what, OK? Show these young guys what's what.

I got a sore butt muscle, left glute or piriformis, pain so deep it's in the "capsule" of the hip bone socket. With sprinting, you tend to really jack muscles you don't normally use. Problem I have is I can't stretch it loose and no way does icing it go that deep through all the fat and muscle. It's not so bad that I can't sprint or workout. Just kind of a dull reminder that I'm 52.

When I can't sprint, I do kettlebells to burn the fat.

Trok is offline Member
    You got that right zilla...I needed that friendly slap up side the head...seriously! I'm doing shovelglove with my little teacher group tomorrow. I bought all the 6 lb. sledge hammers from the local hardware store for some of our ladies in our group. two of them are chronologically older than me (54 & 63) but loving this stuff.

norcalgal is offline Senior Member
    i used to be a competitive athlete and please its very very important you MUST warm up your muscles and do plenty of stretching before attempting sprinting.
    ive had many pulled hamstrings from running and jumping without prior warmup and stretch and it is very painful indeed.
    full recovery can be anywhere from a few days to a few weeks (depending on extent of injury). cold ice pack then hot baths work great.
    "The first wealth is health."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    My strained leg is much better today amazingly but I'm still walking like an old limping man. I'll take this as a lesson.

Trok is offline Member
    Update: three weeks after the injury, i did some light sprints yesterday on the field...started at 25 % and worked up to about 50% max. didn't wont to over do it and risk re-injury. didn't feel any strain or stress in my hamstring. it's great to be able to get back into my sprints.

i started our workout with a 3/4 mile jog (warm up) through the trail behind the football field. as many said in this thread...warm ups are essential! i'm wearing a neoprene sleeve for my thigh now during workouts. the compression seems to help.

UpNorth is offline Junior Member
    I'm a little late to this thread but I'd like to throw a suggestion your way: Try some glute activation exercises as part of your warm up (http://stronglifts.com/how-to-optimi...te-activation/). Its very common to have problems with proper use of our biggest prime movers -- its the curse of sitting all day!

Godzilla is offline Senior Member
    Hey Trok, good to hear you're healing fast.

Trok is offline Member
    I appreciate that Godzilla. i did a second workout this morning...just a few 50% sprints and felt fine.

Upnorth: thanks for the link. i'll try those. about two months ago i built a standing work station for my desk at school. i took an old desk that was being trashed and built a frame and mounted it to my existing desk. i love it. my kids don't know what to think.

UpNorth is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trok View Post
    Upnorth: thanks for the link. i'll try those. about two months ago i built a standing work station for my desk at school. i took an old desk that was being trashed and built a frame and mounted it to my existing desk. i love it. my kids don't know what to think.
    That's awesome -- I love my stand-up desk too. And thank you for being a teacher! Most important and least compensated job in the world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12