Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I tried my hand at butter-making page

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member

I tried my hand at butter-making

Primal Fuel
    I didn't exactly follow the Cultured Cream Butter from MDA. Instead, I made regular butter because I couldn't find creme fraiche. Next time, I will be taking the cultured butter approach by making my own creme fraiche.

Anyways, for those who haven't already done it, you need two things:

* Blender or food processor
    * Whipping cream

Put the latter in the former and hit go. IMPORTANT! Don't let your liquid get too far over the blades. It will, at first, churn about but once it turns into whipped cream (which is fast), it'll stiffen up and only the stuff around the blades will get touched. I found this out the hard way, and it probably took ten times as long as it should have. For a regular blender, about 1cup at a time works.

Anyways, at first your whipping cream will become whipped cream, then overwhipped cream, and then butter. You can tell it's becoming the butter when it starts to produce liquid again after having gone firm from the whipped creme part.

This liquid is whey. Pour it off as it forms and keep going until you reach a butter-like flavor.

There's probably a "too far" boundary that I haven't met yet. Because I overloaded my blender, it took a long time and wasn't efficient. Subsequently, the butter I produced is more on the cream side than the butter side, if that makes any sense. Sweet Cream Butter maybe?

Anyways, it'll weep some whey as it sits. You can leave it out overnight in something with holes over a container if desired. The product I ended up with is white; I think this is the natural colour of butter.

It's actually pretty sweet tasting. I haven't used it in anything yet because I've been MIA from the kitchen since.

You can use the whey in things that call for it. Or just drink it. It's like skim milk but with flavor.

M.

snoops is offline Senior Member
    If you have no electricity you can do this by just shaking the cream in a jar. Hard and for quite a while :-) but it works. Son did it years ago in a school experiment.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    It's actually pretty sweet tasting. I haven't used it in anything yet because I've been MIA from the kitchen since.
    That sounds so yummy. I would have had a spoon in that and slurping away in no time. "Sorry, I can't come in to work today because I just made homemade butter and well, I do have my priorities." LOL
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Easier using a beater mixer and a bowl... plus it lasts longer if you wash it to get the left over whey out with fresh water.
    Just keep adding cold water a quarter cup at a time until it comes stays clear.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Green Deane Guest
    Making butter takes work even with modern appliances. I used to do it all the time, and make my own catsup. It's the only way to avoid HFCS.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Deane View Post
    Making butter takes work even with modern appliances. I used to do it all the time, and make my own catsup. It's the only way to avoid HFCS.
    Or you could, you know, maybe buy organic ketchup... it contains organic cane sugar and no HFCS.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Easier using a beater mixer and a bowl... plus it lasts longer if you wash it to get the left over whey out with fresh water.
    Just keep adding cold water a quarter cup at a time until it comes stays clear.
    This! I've made butter, but it's easier to buy Kerrygold.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    That sounds so yummy. I would have had a spoon in that and slurping away in no time. "Sorry, I can't come in to work today because I just made homemade butter and well, I do have my priorities." LOL
    I think about 20% never quite made it to the storage dish. The whey didn't last an hour; wifey decided she liked it too much. Interestingly, it did not set off her lactose intolerance.

I picked up some more of the same heavy whipping cream and some buttermilk with the intent of making creme freiche tonight. Mark's post suggested letting it sit overnight 8-24 hours, so I will set it up tomorrow night with the intent of making some of the cultured stuff on Saturday. With any luck, some tomatos will be at the farmer's market and I can get some tomato-garlic cultured butter going.

As for the stuff I've just made, cinnamon would mix in really well for more "sweet" applications of butter.

See, the downside of only eating once per day is that you never quite get to make much use out of what you have...

M.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am trying to do cultured butter. To do this, I made my own creme freiche with buttermilk (cultured) and heavy whipping cream. About 20 hours later it's thick enough for a plastic chopstick to stand in, so I think it's approaching the ready mark. I'll be processing some of the butter in about an hour.

I picked up some tomatoes from the farmer's market today; might try my hand at doing up cultured tomato garlic butter with some of it.

M.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast