Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does coffee affect appetite? page

aprimalmomma is offline Senior Member

Does coffee affect appetite?

Shop Now
    I'm on my second day of experiencing effortless fasting...no hunger or constant thoughts of food...I've been eating primal and low carb for 2+ months and this is the first time I've had this experience...i haven't had my usual 2c of coffee w cream in the past 2 days..substituted chai tea...i thought coffee suppressed appetite...but i cant think of anything else...has anyone noticed that coffee stimulates appetite, cravings or binges?

Sent from my PG06100 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    I can't say that I have. Of course, I drink quite a bit of coffee. That said, my appetite seems the same whether I have my first cup of coffee at 4am or 11am.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It depends on a person. In some people it suppresses appetite, in some -increases. It impacts blood sugar and a sleeping pattern, so the combination of the two, will lead to either appetite sup or appetite increase, or will have no change. To see if coffee affects you, you need to go coffee-free for two-three weeks and monitor your sleep and energy patterns.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    My usual M.O. is to have my coffee at 8:30am, and then I never eat my first
    meal before 3pm at least 6 days out of 7.

Not trying to do it that way, it's just how it works for me and always has.

But then there are flukes when I get hungry at 10am ONCE in a great while.

That said, I think if I did NOT have the coffee in the morning, I'd probably get
    hungrier earlier.

Julia

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    For me, it suppresses it. Often black coffee IS my breakfast and holds off hunger until... well, until I stop drinking it.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I, too, find it suppresses my appetite.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    It depends on a person. In some people it suppresses appetite, in some -increases. It impacts blood sugar and a sleeping pattern, so the combination of the two, will lead to either appetite sup or appetite increase, or will have no change. To see if coffee affects you, you need to go coffee-free for two-three weeks and monitor your sleep and energy patterns.
    In me it initially suppresses appetite which then comes back with a vengeance unless I keep pouring in the coffee, something I can't do due to a neurological problem.

This stuff, Teeccino is a really delicious alternative. Your chai tea , if based on black tea, does still have a fair ammount of caffeine in it. I make chai with rooibos tea as the base.

Barley-Free Dandelion Flavors | Teeccino Herbal Coffee / Coffee Alternative

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    it's disgusting tasting without sugar and cream, so in this case, yes, probably, due to the taste alone.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    If I drink coffee on an empty stomach, I will find I feel quite hungry within the hour. I think it kick starts my system, but who knows? I'll take my coffee either black, or with a splash of coconut milk. I think if it had all the extras like sugar, whipped cream, etc. that you get at Starbucks, I might not be hungry due to all the calories.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think uppers and downers, or stimulants and sedatives, work differently on different people. I've known a couple of people who didn't want to give their kids the ADD drug of the day who said coffee worked well. While most of my friends thought coke was the supreme upper, I thought it was mellow - it was the '80s - statute of limitations and all that.

My little brother took Ritalin (until my father decided he didn't want a zombie for a son), but the couple of pills I swiped made me hyper. (The 70s - so statute has run its course even more.)

Coffee can work either way for me. In the morning, it certainly jump starts my heart and makes me forget about eating. Also, if I start to feel hungry before I want to eat, a cuppa will decrease my appetite. OTOH, if I'm really tired or really hungry later in the day, I can drink a mug of espresso and still feel hungry or go to sleep. We are all special snow flakes.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast