Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoes with "more structure" page

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member

Shoes with "more structure"

Primal Fuel
    I've been asked by higher-ups (in an activity in which I participate) to ditch the minimalist shoes and wear sneakers with "more support" because they're afraid I'll injure myself pounding the pavement in my merrell gloves. (Rehearsing marching drill mostly on concrete, sometimes on grass approximately 24hrs per week)

I'm not in a position to argue or debate (I already put in my 2 about how I'd much rather roll my ankle in barefoot shoes than anything else), I pretty much just need to show up on Friday with different shoes... But I'm REALLY anxious about injuring myself with traditional shoes, whether it's an ankle roll, joint pain, or lower back misery...

I went to a shoe store around the corner from work with one of those fancy schmancy machines you step on and it tells you about the pressure distribution, etc... (They said I have a lot of pressure on my metatarsals and heels and recommended orthotics - I'm kinda wondering where you're supposed to have pressure/weight if not there?)... it's a very CW type of place (they do not sell vibram ffs, etc.), but i figured that was probably a good thing to please my CW higher-ups. They even warned that minimalist shoes would cause joint damage (despite the fact I've been wearing them for 4+ years).

I explained what I was currently wearing, what the higher-ups wanted, what I wanted and what it was for, and after rejecting a few pairs of shoes, I settled on the merrell proterra vim sports in sea shore... Come to find out (after purchasing) these are minimalist hiking shoes... I'm not sure this is the right shoe either...

Basically I'm frustrated with this whole task and could use some recommendations... I can still return the shoes, so at least there's that. :-/

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Nike Frees?

I like my Merrell Proterra Vim sports. While minimal, I think they do have a little more support than other barefoot shoes.

I was thinking nike frees as well. I use merrell trail gloves and vibrams primarily, and have for years, but I always have a pair of nike frees too. they get my vote

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    I was thinking nike frees as well. I use merrell trail gloves and vibrams primarily, and have for years, but I always have a pair of nike frees too. they get my vote
    The Nikes were my transition to minimal shoes, but I go back to them sometimes because I get a flair-up of plantar facsiitis and go back to them to help relieve the discomfort. I, too, wear Merrell barefoot shoes most of the time.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    What about New Balance Minimus? If they look like "normal" sneakers, will that be enough for your higher-ups?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    The Nikes were my transition to minimal shoes, but I go back to them sometimes because I get a flair-up of plantar facsiitis and go back to them to help relieve the discomfort. I, too, wear Merrell barefoot shoes most of the time.
    I actually jog in my frees for the same reason. I've struggled with plantar fasciitis in my left foot for like 7-8 years now. got my first pair of vibrams about 6 years ago. and my merrells when they first came out. but no exercise, stretch, etc has ever been able to fully cure my foot. so for the few months out of the year that I go for an occasional 2.5 mile jog around the lake, I strap on the nikes. I consider it preventative medicine. for everything else, I wear the vibrams of merrells

I actually jog in my frees for the same reason. I've struggled with plantar fasciitis in my left foot for like 7-8 years now. got my first pair of vibrams about 6 years ago. and my merrells when they first came out. but no exercise, stretch, etc has ever been able to fully cure my foot. so for the few months out of the year that I go for an occasional 2.5 mile jog around the lake, I strap on the nikes. I consider it preventative medicine. for everything else, I wear the vibrams of merrells
    I never had an issue with PF, until I started wearing minimal shoes. The funny thing is I've hardly ever worn heals and I'm always barefoot around the house. Most of the time it flairs up, is if I haven't run for awhile and I go running in the Merrells, then I'm limping around the house, so I go back to the Frees for awhile and stretch a lot, until my feet stop bothering me.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    What about New Balance Minimus? If they look like "normal" sneakers, will that be enough for your higher-ups?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    Nike Frees?

I like my Merrell Proterra Vim sports. While minimal, I think they do have a little more support than other barefoot shoes.
    Thanks everyone - I'm going to check out the Nike Frees and the New Balance Minimus today - pretty much anything that looks like a "normal" sneaker will do, in theory, but... I asked about Merrell Arc2, and was told not to get anything with "barefoot" in the name, so... if they know it's a "minimalist" shoe, that's probably not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Huarache Gal View Post
    What type are you looking for? Tennis shoes/sneakers, or something more professional looking? Military style boots? If you can narrow it down a bit, we can make better suggestions.
    *sigh* first of all, It says in my first paragraph exactly what I'm looking for.
    Second, I'm female (I figured that was pretty easily ascertained from my username), so men's shoes and searches for men's products do not help...
    I don't mean to be snarky or rude, but lack of attention to detail is a pet peeve, I'm already irked about buying ANOTHER pair of new shoes, and a response like this just makes me cranky. :-/

*sigh* off to the shoe store again, methinks.

the nb minimus is pretty much exactly the same thing as the merrell glove. fyi..

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    the nb minimus is pretty much exactly the same thing as the merrell glove. fyi..
    but I think the new balance looks more "normal" which is what they're looking for - *sigh*

I might just stick with the Proterras... after trying them on at home, I think I need a half size smaller, so a return visit to the shoe store is required anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast