Thread: re: RAW/deydrated KALE VS BAKED KALE (Hypothyroidism) HELP!!! page

captain joel is offline Member

re: RAW/deydrated KALE VS BAKED KALE (Hypothyroidism) HELP!!!

Shop Now
    ladies, gentlemen, comrades

I have suffered with Hypothyroidism and after eating fair amounts of raw kale or more commonly dehydrated kale crisps, symptoms flared up including fatigue, mood changes and neck swelling.

I am aware this is relatively uncommon but with the prevalence of raw/dehydrated kale crisps it is an issue that needs to be discussed.

According to various sources such as livestrong.com (I am unsure of its validity), baking/cooking kale kills the goitrogens that lead to thyroid problems.

At what temperature would one retain as many nutrients as possible but also kill the goitrogens?

Would I be correct in saying baking under 100 degrees is essentially dehydrating, meaning the goitrogens will be in tact?

cheers

Paleobird Guest
    Not sure about the answer to the question you actually asked but try asking yourself another question. Do I really *need* to be eating this foul tasting tough green stuff anyway in any form?

QueenOfTheDwarrows is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Not sure about the answer to the question you actually asked but try asking yourself another question. Do I really *need* to be eating this foul tasting tough green stuff anyway in any form?
    maybe she doesn't find the taste foul.
    ~

Yes, baking under 100 is dehydration. As for nutrient retention, I don't know much about temperature for that, but I wouldn't stress about it.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenOfTheDwarrows View Post
    maybe she doesn't find the taste foul.
    Maybe not but there is a whole thread going in the recipe section all about how to make kale palatable, how to disguise it's true flavor and texture. So there are a lot of people eating it who really don't like it. They are just finding the way in which it tastes the least offensive.

I just don't see the point. Too many people eat kale because they feel they are "supposed to".

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Paleobird.

if you eat it raw you introduce so many toxins and anti-nutrients that even if you cooked it for 6 days and 7 nights you'd get more nutrients. Only a sum are bioavailable anyway.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, got to agree with Derpamix and PB - if it causes you problems to eat it, why bother trying to find a way around it? Plenty of other foods out there. I don't much for veggies myself - my system runs better on eggs, seafood, meats, fruits, tubers etc. if it doesn't work for you, don't eat it.

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Cook the shit out of it and congratulate yourself for eating it at all.

PS there are all kinds of other vegetables out there that are also nutritious.

No worries.
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Raw kale sounds disgusting. If you cook it with a lot of fat, some spices (smoked paprika), and a splash of apple cider vinegar it can be decent, but unless you have some reason that you must eat kale, don't eat it if you don't like it. It can be healthy, but it is far from essential.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    This article about kale at BulletproofExec is linked to just now in the paleo reddit. I have no stance but since I saw it I figured I should share it here The Kale Shake is Awesome – So Upgrade It