Thread: Recipe ideas for pastured ground pork? page

meeshar is offline Senior Member

Recipe ideas for pastured ground pork?

Primal Fuel
    I bought 5+ lbs. of fatty, coarsely ground pastured/forested pork from a local farmer and I need ideas on what to do with it. I don't think I'd like it plain, I made a meatloaf with it (half grassfed ground beef, half ground pork) and did NOT like it at all. My husband and daughter did, but for some reason it really turned me off. I don't know if it was gamey or what, I love sausages and bacon from this same farm though. I don't have the gear to make sausages, though I guess I could make breakfast sausage? I'm thinking it needs to be highly spiced for me to like it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    It will taste like breakfast sausage if you sautee it with salt, pepper, and sage. I stopped buying "sausage" months ago when I figured this out and now I just buy pastured ground pork from my local grass farmer.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Melissa Joulwan always spices her recipes very highly - these are just a couple from recently on her blog:

Balkan Cevapcici (aka, Cute Sausages) | theclothesmakethegirl
    Bora Bora Fireballs | theclothesmakethegirl

FoodLoveJoy is offline Junior Member
    Saute it with some veggies you like, it can be anything really. I like to add a lot of different colors with things like spinach, peppers, onions, garlic, and fresh herbs. Add a twist of lemon at the end to elevate the flavors a little bit.
    I want to inspire as many people as I can to cook more and step into a fun and easy relationship with food.

My blog: www.foodlovejoy.com

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I make mediterranean meatballs very similar to the Balkan recipe, just substitute cilantro and or mint for the parsley and add ground coriander. You can serve it with a spicy roasted pepper sauce. I just roast peppers and puree them with garlic, lime juice, prepared Chinese chili sauce and olive oil. They are also good with Tzatziki.

Tzatziki Sauce Recipe - Allrecipes.com

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    One pound ground pork, one pound(ish) raw shrimp. Blitz the shrimp (peeled!) in a processor. Mix with pork, add an egg. Season with garlic, ginger, a bit of sesame oil, green onions, minced water chestnuts, red pepper flakes. Form into patties or meatballs, whatever floats your boat. Pan fry, then have at 'er...it's just like chinese dumplings without the outside.
    I make a dipping sauce of soy aminos, rice vinegar, some sesame oil, sriracha, garlic and ginger for them, too...mouth is watering

MikeAtTaree is offline Member
    Along the lines of #6 above, Mix with Asian spices and sauces - touch of sesame oil, garlic, ginger, oyster sauce, star anise etc, finely chopped pak choy. Form into meatballs and lightly fry till just done enough that you can handle them without them falling apart.

Wrap in par-boiled soft sections of cabbage leaf and secure with toothpick if necessary. Drizzle with something like duck fat or coconut oil and slow cook with a little stock in a heavy lidded pan.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Last time I bought it I did stuffed bell pepper halves (oven baked). Fennel seed, cayenne, shredded cheese, and sliced mushrooms on top.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    It's all in the spices you use. I'd start with onion + garlic (not really spices, but I basically always add them to meat), rosemary, oregano, basil, paprika, chilli, coriander, garam masala, tumeric, cumin etc etc. Choose half of the spices, put some in, and cok up with a healthy dose of fat.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    All excellent ideas, thanks so much! Especially interested in trying the Asian ones.