Page 1 of 92 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page

Leida is offline Senior Member

So, why men won't lift weights?

Primal Fuel
    There was a gazillion of threads about why women won't lift weights, but what totally blows my mind is why men won't lift weights. The impact is sooooo dramatic and wonderful in men, and like causes both fat loss & muscle gain, why the heck do I see all these men hunching on the treadmills next to the elfin cardio queens? Are men afraid to get bulky, lol?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    They have limited time and are not there for health but for the "view".

Sent from my Nexus S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chima_p View Post
    They have limited time and are not there for health but for the "view".

Sent from my Nexus S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Most guys I've met train for looks. They train with weights, but to look good in the mirror, i.e. chest, arms, and abs. Also, many are afraid of weight gain. One guy I know is 5'11", 159lb, and doesn't want to gain any weight (though he claims he wants more muscle). Another started lifting with me at a weight of 129lb, and quit at 140lb because he thought he was getting too fat (yes, a grown man thought he was fat at a weight of 140lb, and no, he was not a midget).

Plus, real lifting like barbell squats are too hard for most guys. Doing curls in the mirror is much more soothing.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    I hate going to the gym. I enjoy lifting barbells but the people at the gym I used to go to try to dominate the area and spend the whole time checking themselves out in the mirror. Never had a problem getting on the squat machine though but the bench press area was always a problem.

I bought myself some kettlebells and do most of it at home now and I just get on with it.

One day I will take the plunge and buy a squat rack but its not economically viable at this point.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I blame Oprah. Masculinity is passť. Androgyny is in. It's about being 70's big vs. being 90's small.

Plus, like quikky says, squatting your balls off is hard work, and most people are pussies.

But not even curl??! Hey, I understand the need to curl in front of the mirror. I just don't get not even touching weights. Like my husband won't lift (says his shoulder hurts, would rather go on a treadmill, WTF?). Just don't get it. Is it because it is too easy for men to get decent results? So no challenge? Men too proud to start with an empty bar and overload, decide it's too hard and quit?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    But not even curl??! Hey, I understand the need to curl in front of the mirror. I just don't get not even touching weights. Like my husband won't lift (says his shoulder hurts, would rather go on a treadmill, WTF?). Just don't get it. Is it because it is too easy for men to get decent results? So no challenge? Men too proud to start with an empty bar and overload, decide it's too hard and quit?
    It's not exactly as easy as you make it out to be for most of us.

And yes, men are embarrassed to go into the gym and have to be seen doing any exercises with fewer than 3 plates. That's a big reason most guys don't squat to depth. Because the weight they'd have to use would be embarrassingly low.

But mostly, it's the pussies thing. No offense to your husband.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Maybe some men like to do cardio as well as lifting. For cardio-vascular health maybe?

I (a woman, btw) find running oddly relaxing and mildly addictive and no counting reps necessary.

Maybe because it's just easy.

It's not exactly as easy as you make it out to be for most of us.
    All in comparison, much easier and much better results for men...

Maybe some men like to do cardio as well as lifting. For cardio-vascular health maybe?
    Yep, those folks I get. But there are plenty cardio-only menfolk.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    There was a gazillion of threads about why women won't lift weights, but what totally blows my mind is why men won't lift weights. The impact is sooooo dramatic and wonderful in men, and like causes both fat loss & muscle gain, why the heck do I see all these men hunching on the treadmills next to the elfin cardio queens? Are men afraid to get bulky, lol?
    Besides the cardio... What about when a guy picks up the same weight as you and it's for a bench press! I've seen about 3 men in my gym do a barbell deadlift in the past 2 years.... Same with squats. Alsooo... What's the deal with men that are 6 foot tall walking 3-3.5 mph on the treadmill. I would have just stayed in bed an extra 30 minutes!

I'm not trying to be to hard on the men but come on! Lol

Page 1 of 92 1231151 ... LastLast