Page 90 of 92 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 90

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Dating that Hooter's girl did have uses other than the obvious...

The obvious being free wings and beer of course.
    Riiggghht

I've only ever been to Hooters once, I think it was in Sarrasota, Florida. I'd just turned 21 and was home on leave after a tour in Northern Ireland and my parents and little bro were going on holiday so I joined them. My bro and knew what hooters was but the folks had no idea
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Dating that Hooter's girl did have uses other than the obvious...
    Video or it didn't happen.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    My world view has been shattered here at MDA. I have learned that a lot of men with big muscles aren't strong, just vain and that there are way more fake boobs out there than I thought were possible. All my life I've just gone with exactly what I was given. No surgery, no cutlets in my bra, no hair color, no waxing, no botox. No wonder I've struggled.

Now give it to me straight: those women bench pressing 100+lbs and deadlifting 300+lbs are on steroids, right?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    Not necesarrily, but they've most likely been working hard on those lifts for many years.

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    There was a gazillion of threads about why women won't lift weights, but what totally blows my mind is why men won't lift weights. The impact is sooooo dramatic and wonderful in men, and like causes both fat loss & muscle gain, why the heck do I see all these men hunching on the treadmills next to the elfin cardio queens? Are men afraid to get bulky, lol?
    To be honest...many are just lazy. :-(

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Being "strong" is much about skill, leverage, muscle coordination, arching the back, using the legs when pressing, and in general; learning all the tricks in the book about how to get the weight up! Yes, it’s also about growing some relevant muscle(and fat!) to support the lift. Personally I got my worldview shattered already at a young age when I learned how to bypass strength test! Wrapping up knees, squatting in jeans with long bicycle pants under, benching with more than two shirts etc. And the coaches nodded and agreed upon the impressive “progression”! Coaches in general love to see that the numbers goes up...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 06-22-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Goldust is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Thanks, love being compared to a hog. XO. Classy, and I know you wouldn't call me hog fat to my face, but you are in a conversation with people that actually weigh more than that. Sorry that your wife has to put up with some jealous bitches... but really? Hog fat?
    Didn't mean to single out the women only as the men are also equally well over a healthy weight. In 1980 the average american man weighed 175 lbs., since then the average height has increased little if any but today the average american man weighs a not too flattering 195 lbs.

Sometimes it gets old after a while having to hear over and over how you are "skinny, underweight and unhealthy" by people who look like anything but the epitome of fitness and also having people constantly commenting on and critiquing your diet. Personally I'm also a little bit tired of hearing about how I'm so lucky because I'm "naturally skinny". No my weight and body fat is where it is because I watch my diet, bust my ass working out and have been working out regularly since I was 13. If I didn't work out/watch my diet I would be 30lbs. heavier, my waist line would be 6 inches bigger and nobody would be telling me how I'm "lucky to be naturally skinny".

My wife finally put a stop to the constant comments about her weight/diet at work when she finally said "I didn't know that my diet and weight were going to be the subject of the day. Maybe we should discuss your weight and diet for a change."

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    No my weight and body fat is where it is because I watch my diet, bust my ass working out and have been working out regularly since I was 13. If I didn't work out/watch my diet I would be 30lbs. heavier, my waist line would be 6 inches bigger and nobody would be telling me how I'm "lucky to be naturally skinny".
    Hey, I also work hard. If I didn't work out and diet, I'd be 100 lbs fatter. Just because people call you "naturally skinny" doesn't make it OK to refer to people like me as "hog fat". Call me, unnaturally fat, discuss my diet, accuse me of laziness, but don't refer to me as a farm animal. It's degrading and dehumanizing.

Now give it to me straight: those women bench pressing 100+lbs and deadlifting 300+lbs are on steroids, right?
    I work out with many women that bench over 100lbs, including one who I think is fairly new to lifting and 50. I doubt any of them use steroids.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    but don't refer to me as a farm animal. It's degrading and dehumanizing.
    Exactly, we eat them!

On a lighter note, humans in modern cities are a lot like farm animals. They do and behave like them for all practical purposes except that they dont get slaughtered and eaten.
    Few but ripe.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil-SC View Post
    To be honest...many are just lazy. :-(
    If they're at the gym on a regular basis and on the treadmill, it's not laziness, it's misconception. They're following CW on what's healthful. Myths of muscles turning to sagging fat when you're to old to lift for the hours and hours a day it takes to keep the muscle dye hard. If they only knew what lifts to do and how to do them properly. It only takes an hour or less, 2-3 times a week. Knowing that, who wouldn't just do it?