Page 9 of 92 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 9

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    No, my argument was against training for aesthetics. Most of the posts I read(didn't read much) were about aesthetics, not functionality. In this day and age, lifting heavy shit isn't all that useful. Done properly, it's purely for the perceived benefits you get health related, though I question this too. What bodybuilders do is anything but.
    Bodybuilders are dudes who shave their entire bodies, paint themselves brown, wear silky thongs, and pose in awkward positions in front of other dudes. Nobody, anywhere in this thread, has advocated any of this extremely strange behavior. In fact, many bodybuilders aren't particularly strong.

No idea what your last paragraph means, but, it's certainly far off my point. There isn't any one type for every person, you disagree? I don't have any difficulties attracting the opposite sex, never have, and never will.
    No, we all have certain preferences, some of which are genetically determined and some of which are influenced by environmental factors. I just don't think it's normal for a woman's "type" to be a man who she has to look at twice in order to be certain he's not actually another woman. Or who has to ask her to open jars for him.

No, I'd be the one inventing fire. You'd be the one killing my food, and your wife would be the one serving me.
    Until someone killed you for food. Or made you his wife.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I've seen a lot of guys who just lift weights, don't use steroids and eat normally that look great because they have some muscle.
    Really, the steroid guys are gross.

This is like those conversations about "fat women" where the definition of fat ranges from the supermodel asked to lose 5 lbs to a 500 lb woman on a Rascal.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Bodybuilders are dudes who shave their entire bodies, paint themselves brown, wear silky thongs, and pose in awkward positions in front of other dudes. Nobody, anywhere in this thread, has advocated any of this extremely strange behavior. In fact, many bodybuilders aren't particularly strong.
    Nor did I say I have problems with people who are strong and like to lift. I don't, and was stating I don't care if this puts off older women on the internet. Seriously, dude.

No, we all have certain preferences, some of which are genetically determined and some of which are influenced by environmental factors. I just don't think it's normal for a woman's "type" to be a man who she has to look at twice in order to be certain he's not actually another woman. Or who has to ask her to open jars for him.
    Well, it is now. Blame feminists. I certainly do. I don't like being associated with that, but, like being a gothic loner for most of my childhood, this is just who I am.

And, lots of females like that kind of shit nowadays too. It asserts their dominance and equality, don't you know?

I honestly don't mind if a girl is stronger than me, I'm not put off by it, by all means. I don't understand why some people want to be so held up to standards. If a girl can open my jar, and wants to, cool, less work for me.

Until someone killed you for food. Or made you his wife.
    I'm pretty sure they'd be too scared that I'm some kind of God who can conjure spirits and kill them to even attempt.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 05-29-2013 at 03:51 PM.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    In this day and age, lifting heavy shit isn't all that useful. Done properly, it's purely for the perceived benefits you get health related, though I question this too.
    I disagree with you on this. It's true that manual labor is becoming less and less common, and strength isn't as important as it once was. However, it's still very useful. Compound movements with barbells (squat, deadlift, overhead press, row, etc.) are basically loaded human movement. When you get out of a chair, you're doing a squat. A deadlift is picking up something off the ground. To paraphrase Mark Rippetoe, having a 400 lb deadlift makes picking up that 85 lb box from UPS a lot less awkward.

Additionally, strong muscles mean a healthy body. One of the reasons that I got interested in strength training was that several of my friends hurt their shoulders and had surgery within just a few weeks of each other. They were all doing fairly common activities when their injuries happened, too. I did some reasearch and found out that exercises like bench presses, overhead presses, and rows will not only keep your shoulders strong, but surgery-free when done properly. It's the same for squats with your kness and deadlifts with your back.

Not all lifting is done with aesthetics in mind. Big arms are fun, but so is good health.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Green Deane Guest
    The best thing about going to a gym is leaving it. I lift three days a week and do not enjoy a single moment of it. Treadmills are very boring thus I play raquetball instead. I'm interested in definition and retaining lean muscle mass. While my cousin is an internationally known professional body builder I have no interest in it.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    I'm slightly bemused when someone tells me they don't want to build muscle. Especially when its a male. I've done ultra endurance training, competed in ironman triathlons, done body-weight routines and yoga but nothing builds confidence and changes how your body looks faster or more effectively than lifting weights. Lifting builds muscle, muscle burns fat, muscle ups your metabolism, increases testosterone (yes this is also important for women) and HGH.

Do yourself a favor, go and buy a gym membership or buy some iron for your garage and commit to building some muscle. There are no short cuts to building muscle, you have to train hard and with intensity, employ progressive resistance and be consistent. But the effort will be worth it, life is better as a strong person in almost every way.

Something to keep in mind is that thanks to the SAD testosterone levels are dropping consistently each year. All the food you have been eating for you entire life has estrogenic effects. A man born in 1970 had about 20 percent less testosterone at age 35 than a man of his father’s generation at the same age.

That’s for a man born in 1970. A man born in 1980 will be worse, a man born in 1990 is half-girl already and a boy born in 2000 is probably going to be wearing pigtails and dresses when (s)he grows up.

So eat Paleo and lift weights and get your hormones back in balance.
    Last edited by canuck416; 05-29-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Owen is online now Senior Member
    I'm getting into barbell lifting and pull-ups and I really enjoy it - since going paleo my body responds really well to it ,wheras it would previously have been a chore. I'm training for functional strength though, not for the cosmetics, although it's only going to help of course, in terms of looks....

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    I'm slightly bemused when someone tells me they don't want to build muscle. Especially when its a male. I've done ultra endurance training, competed in ironman triathlons, done body-weight routines and yoga but nothing builds confidence and changes how your body looks faster or more effectively than lifting weights. Lifting builds muscle, muscle burns fat, muscle ups your metabolism, increases testosterone (yes this is also important for women) and HGH.

Do yourself a favor, go and buy a gym membership or buy some iron for your garage and commit to building some muscle. There are no short cuts to building muscle, you have to train hard and with intensity, employ progressive resistance and be consistent. But the effort will be worth it, life is better as a strong person in almost every way.

Something to keep in mind is that thanks to the SAD testosterone levels are dropping consistently each year. All the food you have been eating for you entire life has estrogenic effects. A man born in 1970 had about 20 percent less testosterone at age 35 than a man of his father’s generation at the same age.

That’s for a man born in 1970. A man born in 1980 will be worse, a man born in 1990 is half-girl already and a boy born in 2000 is probably going to be wearing pigtails and dresses when (s)he grows up.

So eat Paleo and lift weights and get your hormones back in balance.
    Great post, bro. Love it. Keep fighting the good fight.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Great post, bro. Love it. Keep fighting the good fight.
    Hey... just for reference in this thread... let's see em. Just a little gun peek?
    Last edited by cori93437; 05-29-2013 at 08:23 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    People will pursue health their own way, regardless of this little debate. A little cardio beats a day on the couch eating chips, at least. Not that I have much respect for cardio-sissies, just - I don't think they are worth assaulting.

I have no teacher, no inspirational mentor, and no money for a gym membership. So I do the few movements I can do without destroying my body with bad form, and do them regularly. Would I love to lift heavy? You bet! Do I get to? God says no, by giving me a prison cell with no outlet. And it's my job to be okay with that, to run on this treadmill to feed my family and give them a house. That leaves no time or money for me, that's been made clear. I am an appendage, specialized to work and die, and if I fail to fulfill that duty, it won't matter how healthy or dead I am. People will only remember me as the man who could not provide for his family. That is worse than death, not lifting heavy, or any other static. So, no, I'm not to be found at the gym. You'll find me in the stairwell on the pipes after work, doing as many chin-ups as I can for free, on a regular basis for life. And if you aren't okay with that, I don't care. I have no other options.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 9 of 92 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast