Page 71 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 71

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghshl View Post
    I tried doing a 5/1 routine for a while. At first it seemed to work just fine, but then weights that really shouldn't be hard for me were. After going back to regular 5/3/1 I don't have that problem anymore.
    That's good to know. I have been using it to build back up after hurt my back and had to reduce the weight I was lifting. I figured the slower progress of 5/3/1 might be better for me, but then I worried maybe it was too slow, hence the 5/1. One thing I really like about 5/3/1 is how the weights you lift are less linear. This removes a lot of the psychological bullshit my mind gets into about failure and success.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabears View Post
    I've never come across a better / simplified one than martin berkhans explanation

Intermittent Fasting, Set-Point and Leptin | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Quick summary... I'm sure this will ring true for some:
    Great article. Thanks.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    That's good to know. I have been using it to build back up after hurt my back and had to reduce the weight I was lifting. I figured the slower progress of 5/3/1 might be better for me, but then I worried maybe it was too slow, hence the 5/1. One thing I really like about 5/3/1 is how the weights you lift are less linear. This removes a lot of the psychological bullshit my mind gets into about failure and success.
    I think a good approach would be to generally stick to the 5/1, but add in the deload week any time you start to feel run down or like you'd be getting more reps if you had a little more recovery time, whether that's every 2 cycles or every 8.

Look, I'm an appropriate weight right now. The thing is, I don't look like a college coed and never have. I don't have that body type. I am not obese but I know that it offends people out there to see a body jiggle, to see rolls on the stomach and cottage cheese on the thighs and buttocks. I have that. I had it when I weighed 108lbs in my teenage years. There's not much I can do to not offend someone so I would like to exert my right to go about my business, not have my quest for fitness be solely measured by how much weight has or hasn't been lost and wear a bathing suit to go swimming without having to endure wrath and shame. That is all.
    Your description of yourself and the actual photos you've posted here and elsewhere don't actually line up all that well. It's almost like you have a case of body dysmorphia. That's what not_on_the_rug meant when he said you're too hard on yourself, and he was right.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I think a good approach would be to generally stick to the 5/1, but add in the deload week any time you start to feel run down or like you'd be getting more reps if you had a little more recovery time, whether that's every 2 cycles or every 8.
    Is the "3" in 5/3/1 the deload week? I admit I didn't buy the book. I just plugged in numbers into the blackironbeast spreadsheet. I've already gotten enough theory from Rippetoe. I find that kind of thing incredibly boring. I know that's wrong, but it's the way it is. I end up reading the same paragraph over and over until I give up. I find reading about weight lifting very boring.

Your description of yourself and the actual photos you've posted here and elsewhere don't actually line up all that well. It's almost like you have a case of body dysmorphia. That's what not_on_the_rug meant when he said you're too hard on yourself, and he was right.
    It's possible. But the truth is that nearly every woman has the same issue. When fat women are criticized and we not-so-fat women possess the qualities for which they are criticized, even if we possess them in much smaller quantities, we feel just as self-conscious on the beach as they do. Maybe more so. This is why we would like to live in a world where we didn't have to hear such vitriol from 25-year-old male know-it-alls.

I have a male friend in his 60s who keeps his weight down using a spreadsheet. He logs his calories every day. He aims to stay under his goal. He has to do this every day or else he will start to gain. He does gain a little now and then and then he cuts back to lose it again. This is what a lot of women have to do.

Until the 25-year-old never-been-fat male know-it-alls have to use spreadsheets to keep their own weight down they will never understand what we're trying to communicate to them.

Also, I lift weights to build muscle and strength and measure my food in halves. Half a carrot, half a fish fillet. And I still gain muscle. I do not understand the whole GOMAD thing. That makes absolutely no sense to me. But I do not moo at people who have to do it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    exactly. normal, healthy women shouldn't view themselves or talk about themselves in this manner
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

dabears is offline Member
    Is the "3" in 5/3/1 the deload week? I admit I didn't buy the book. I just plugged in numbers into the blackironbeast spreadsheet. I've already gotten enough theory from Rippetoe. I find that kind of thing incredibly boring. I know that's wrong, but it's the way it is. I end up reading the same paragraph over and over until I give up. I find reading about weight lifting very boring.

It's possible. But the truth is that nearly every woman has the same issue. When fat women are criticized and we not-so-fat women possess the qualities for which they are criticized, even if we possess them in much smaller quantities, we feel just as self-conscious on the beach as they do. Maybe more so. This is why we would like to live in a world where we didn't have to hear such vitriol from 25-year-old male know-it-alls.

I have a male friend in his 60s who keeps his weight down using a spreadsheet. He logs his calories every day. He aims to stay under his goal. He has to do this every day or else he will start to gain. He does gain a little now and then and then he cuts back to lose it again. This is what a lot of women have to do.

Until the 25-year-old never-been-fat male know-it-alls have to use spreadsheets to keep their own weight down they will never understand what we're trying to communicate to them.

Also, I lift weights to build muscle and strength and measure my food in halves. Half a carrot, half a fish fillet. And I still gain muscle. I do not understand the whole GOMAD thing. That makes absolutely no sense to me. But I do not moo at people who have to do it.
    blaming others for your lack of confidence is a sure-fire way to never improve it. Where is your pride? Everyone says things, but harm is only done when the person takes it to heart. That is really on them in the end. Confident individuals don't do this, because they know what they are doing is working. They can say "the hell with them". Self confident individuals say "maybe they are right".

A lot of people calorie count. I did it myself for 8 months to learn the ins and outs of food makeup. Does this one specific individuals situation represent everyone else?

I fully understand what you are attempting to communicate. I also am pointing out your views are incredibly flawed. Basic knowledge of nutrition can confirm this. Your male friend should look to more simpler methods of portion & calorie control, unless he enjoys his spreadsheet. They work just as well with a little education. I'm not even talking flat stomach level here, yet you paint such a dark picture to get there. It simply is not that way. A little understanding of your own body, macronutrients, and the calorie content of foods should make it quite simple. Fat is praised on these boards, when it should be protein in my opinion. Primal isn't a dietary template, it is a list of foods that are clean & healthy. It is up the individual to eat those foods in the quantities that work for their body type, which is where I think most people lack understanding.

GOMAD is an extremely inefficient method which causes you to gain more fat than muscle, essentially taking one step forward two steps back unless you just care about muscle growth and not appearance.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    There's not much I can do to not offend someone so I would like to exert my right to go about my business, not have my quest for fitness be solely measured by how much weight has or hasn't been lost and wear a bathing suit to go swimming without having to endure wrath and shame.

That's the weird crux is that we feel the need to be ashamed of really quite healthy strong bodies because of something that you actually can't really fix and can have even when you are really healthy. I imagine if you got to 18% or below body fat, that you'd not have cellulite, but then you are going to not actually have a technically healthy female body.

I think the pics that get thrown around of women and most often pointed out as "here - hot" are of women that could not get pregnant. Then they throw in some photoshopping. And it's like, good night.... if you saw that girl in person, you'd want to give her a sandwich. That said we have the contrast of a growing number of people, especially younger people who are fat enough that it is an actual health risk. I mean, I've been a big girl my whole life, and when I see so many teens that are bigger than I ever was, I get worried, because if they don't fix it soon, they are screwed. And my lifestyle save for maybe 2 years has always been quite active and never sedentary.

I think the anger gets misdirected/misunderstood and most people would never see you as anything but a healthy looking woman, cellulite and all. If you lived in North Carolina, no one would ever, ever call you hog fat. Not in a million years.

So we have this weird juxtaposition- on the one hand, the "ideal body" for a woman is big boobs on a small frame without a lot of fat, because let's face it, no one ever posts pics of a thin woman with no breasts and says "hottie". Those poor gals get to pay for silicone. So we have all these technically healthy women doing unhealthy things to be "ideal". Then we have this whole other segment that is getting fat to the point of hurting their health who for whatever reason can't lose the weight. So you have women starving themselves and killing themselves on exercise and women just plain eating too much crap.

Eating MDA, and working out hard may not get you the "ideal body", but it should get you a healthy body. I'd call my body healthy, but not aesthetically ideal. At this point in my life, I don't think the extra work I'd have to do to not have cellulite is worth my mental sanity given the other dynamics in my life. If someone wants to judge me on my jiggly arms, whatever.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Half a carrot, half a fish fillet. And I still gain muscle.
    That's awesome, isn't it?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

No. It comes after the "5/3/1" week. The 3 week is a 3/3/3+ week (like the first week, but with higher percentages of your training max, and obviously 3 reps in place of 5).

The deload is a weel of 5/5/5 that constitutes the 4th week in the normal 5/3/1 cycle. Just do your regular lifts for sets of 5 with 40, 50, and 60% (no AMRAP) of your training max after the 5/3/1+ week when you feel the need.

I'm not 25, but I'm closer to it than I am to 48. And I've been skinny-fat, but never fat-fat.

I have to force feed myself to grow. I'm talking about eating 2 times as much food as I could possibly want and drinking 2 glasses of whole milk on top of that. I spend half my life feeling bloated and stuffed. I spend the other half buying groceries.

This is largely because I strength train 3 times per week and grapple (Jiu Jitsu) 4. And I leave my car at home and walk to work (and home for lunch every day). And because I'm 31 and a man. I think that we waste time when we try to determine whether diet or exercise is responsible for weight gain/loss. It's clearly both, and there are many feedback loops involved, some of which we understand better than others.

Not everybody can look like a bikini model, but everybody can try to be better tomorrow than they are today.

And yeah, it's a handicap when you got a bit fat following the "right" diet protocols and then gave up and spent years driving from Sonic to McDonalds to Wendy's to Hardee's because you decided if you were gonna be fat regardless, you might as well enjoy it. But everybody who's here has access to better information now. You and magnolia are great examples.

Page 71 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast