Page 70 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 70

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I sure hope I can make it to 200+ deadlift. Today I squatted 112.5 and it practically killed me. I did 120 the other day and it didn't feel as bad. (I'm doing a 5/1 version of 5/3/1). It's really hard to get strong, but I'm not going to give up. This is way more rewarding than trying to please the voyeurs.
    I tried doing a 5/1 routine for a while. At first it seemed to work just fine, but then weights that really shouldn't be hard for me were. After going back to regular 5/3/1 I don't have that problem anymore.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    LOL, I deadlifted 235 today and squatted 165. And that was a below parallel squat, thanks.
    Damn. Nice work lady. Keep it up!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    For the men (and women) who won't lift weights:

Reader Submission: Marotta’s Alternative Religion | 70's Big

dabears is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I should also add that never in my entire 48 years have I ever resembled the "appropriate for the beach" bikini girl. Never. Not even as a little girl. Not even as an anorexic teenager eating sub-500 calories a day.

Maybe it'll make more sense when you are older but you will see that you can go decades between seeing some of your old friends and when you see them again, most of them will be pretty close to the same size you remembered them. My father never changes sizes and he does not diet and does not eat any special way. His lady friend has been the same size her entire life and I've known her since I was in 4th grade. She has always been thin. Her daughter has always been very thin and looks exactly the same as I've always known her. My mother and grandmother were always the same size, maybe a little thinner now, a little fatter then, but always within the same range. Always. It is like that with my best friends from high school, with my boyfriend and his 5 siblings, with friends from childhood I suddenly see 30 years later. With everyone I have ever known.

Once in a while there will be an old friend or relative that shows a remarkable change. Often when you see them again they will have reversed it. That's just how it is in life.

You are the size you are. It fluctuates. It's likely that whatever you were roughly around age 19 is fairly representative of your natural weight. You can only fix it for so long and then it starts to revert.

There are lots of things that take priority sometimes when the weight starts to creep back up to normal again. People have children, divorces, they change careers, get illnesses, go through rough financial times. Life happens. That some of you can cast so much judgment and think it's 100% just a matter of doing xyz shows how little experience you have in the world.

When I came here I had experienced an alarmingly fast reversion of my weight after a loss. I was alarmed at how rapid the weight gained on me. It was clear to me that this was beyond normal, that something serious had changed and that this time it wasn't going to stop at 160 it was going to exceed that and probably never stop. I could have just thought to myself well, I'm getting older, that's what happens, but I knew there was something wrong and that I had to find a solution.

Now to answer your stupid "did you try" questions. Yes, I have done everything that is suggested here except for the really crazy stuff like single ingredient diets. I eat lean meats, steamed vegetables, sweet potatoes, a little fruit. None of the little tweaks like IF really makes any difference. I have sampled them all. This is what I am. I feel great. I'm pretty sure I'm going to live a long time. You I'm not so sure because if you ever say to my face any such shit like "hog fat" or "beached whale" you are going to regret it. If I can't beat you up myself, I'm going to sic Magnolia on you 'cause she's really strong.
    could have spared me the sob story. people stay the same because they don't put the work in, end of story. The average person sets the bar pretty low.

You have paragraph after paragraph of excuses listed. That's fine. If it isn't a priority, then you made your bed. But don't for a second think it is impossible or even that remotely difficult. I'm 25 years old, so you can say I don't have "experience" in the world. But what I do have is a sound understanding of nutrition and the human body, something you very clearly lack. The weight is creeping back on you because you didn't create a new set point for your body, that is directly on you. Maybe it takes a bit more effort than just eating clean and whenever you feel like it... so what? Again, priorities. Not excuses/impossible.

I'm actually not an asshole regardless of my tone here, and I would never publically berate someone for being fat. That is their choice, and truly none of my business. Would I help an obese friend out to get healthy if they asked? Absolutely! But I don't go out of my way to do it. I respect them a lot less, through experience dealing with people the obese are usually more inclined to be more "easygoing" and less likely to work hard, not to be mention have serious confidence issues. And that is sad.

I'm sure you don't lift weights properly / routinely, get too little protein and too much fat, and consume more calories than you think you do... and that is why the weight creeps up on you. And always will unless you do something about it. But hey, what do I know... I'm just 25 right? I hope to become a messiah like yourself over the next 23 years.

And magnolia, you could definitely outlift some of my friends... great job. Not so much for them

little vase is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabears View Post
    The weight is creeping back on you because you didn't create a new set point for your body, that is directly on you.
    How is that done? I honestly don't know. Could you share a link to an explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    How is that done? I honestly don't know. Could you share a link to an explanation?
    I've never come across a better / simplified one than martin berkhans explanation

Intermittent Fasting, Set-Point and Leptin | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Quick summary... I'm sure this will ring true for some:

Fat loss in the single digit body fat-range needs to be slow and tempered. In my experience, this allows for a smooth transition into maintenance and minimizes muscle loss. I also believe it might lessen the negative effect of dieting on leptin, which ultimately makes maintenance of low body fat achievable. I think most people diet too hard, which has a profoundly negative effect on leptin - and this is part of the reason why the weight gain rebound is so common in folks who finally manage to reach their goal (and then screw up everything by binging).

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    First, be born male. If you hadn't chosen to be born female, you wouldn't be having all these weight problems. See, it's your own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    First, be born male. If you hadn't chosen to be born female, you wouldn't be having all these weight problems. See, it's your own fault.
    keep telling yourself that

little vase is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabears View Post
    I've never come across a better / simplified one than martin berkhans explanation
    Awesome, thank you.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Look, I'm an appropriate weight right now. The thing is, I don't look like a college coed and never have. I don't have that body type. I am not obese but I know that it offends people out there to see a body jiggle, to see rolls on the stomach and cottage cheese on the thighs and buttocks. I have that. I had it when I weighed 108lbs in my teenage years. There's not much I can do to not offend someone so I would like to exert my right to go about my business, not have my quest for fitness be solely measured by how much weight has or hasn't been lost and wear a bathing suit to go swimming without having to endure wrath and shame. That is all.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Page 70 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast