Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 69

BigChris is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm a freak I like heroin chic
    04/23/2012 Initial Weight : 445 lbs
    06/27/2012 Current weight : 403 lbs
    07/29/2014 Goal weight : 200 lbs

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I've kind of always been 30lbs overweight by default. The weight will creep on very slowly, so slowly that you purchase new clothes as they get stained or torn at a slow enough pace that size inflation keeps it the same size. There was never any diet change, not more ice cream eaten or more junk food purchased. Usually I have lost weight by going to extremes to get it off. Then it simply creeped back on with normal eating of regular food. Eventually the extremes, the daily jogging or bicycle commuting, the skipping the salad dressing and all that stopped working, too. There was nothing left to try but low carb as I had run out of options. I fought and argued with people against it. But it worked. The weight is slowly creeping back on again and I eat really super clean primal. The only solution now I think is to simply live on a diet forever. A diet meaning that I have to actually sit here feeling ravenously hungry for several hours a day. This is really hard to do and willpower is a finite resource, so my goal now is to at least stay where I am and maintain the ability to strength train.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

dabears is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I've kind of always been 30lbs overweight by default. The weight will creep on very slowly, so slowly that you purchase new clothes as they get stained or torn at a slow enough pace that size inflation keeps it the same size. There was never any diet change, not more ice cream eaten or more junk food purchased. Usually I have lost weight by going to extremes to get it off. Then it simply creeped back on with normal eating of regular food. Eventually the extremes, the daily jogging or bicycle commuting, the skipping the salad dressing and all that stopped working, too. There was nothing left to try but low carb as I had run out of options. I fought and argued with people against it. But it worked. The weight is slowly creeping back on again and I eat really super clean primal. The only solution now I think is to simply live on a diet forever. A diet meaning that I have to actually sit here feeling ravenously hungry for several hours a day. This is really hard to do and willpower is a finite resource, so my goal now is to at least stay where I am and maintain the ability to strength train.
    have you tried intermittent fasting as a means for calorie control?

when you went low carb, did you replace the calories with fat? Or protein? do you eat nuts often?

do you eat vegetables like broccoli, kale, spinach, cauliflower with each meal?

primal is just a list of materials that are ok for consumption, how much or little of those materials you consume will ultimately dictate your body composition. You can still gain body fat eating 100% primal foods, with ease actually.

I should also add that never in my entire 48 years have I ever resembled the "appropriate for the beach" bikini girl. Never. Not even as a little girl. Not even as an anorexic teenager eating sub-500 calories a day.

Maybe it'll make more sense when you are older but you will see that you can go decades between seeing some of your old friends and when you see them again, most of them will be pretty close to the same size you remembered them. My father never changes sizes and he does not diet and does not eat any special way. His lady friend has been the same size her entire life and I've known her since I was in 4th grade. She has always been thin. Her daughter has always been very thin and looks exactly the same as I've always known her. My mother and grandmother were always the same size, maybe a little thinner now, a little fatter then, but always within the same range. Always. It is like that with my best friends from high school, with my boyfriend and his 5 siblings, with friends from childhood I suddenly see 30 years later. With everyone I have ever known.

Once in a while there will be an old friend or relative that shows a remarkable change. Often when you see them again they will have reversed it. That's just how it is in life.

You are the size you are. It fluctuates. It's likely that whatever you were roughly around age 19 is fairly representative of your natural weight. You can only fix it for so long and then it starts to revert.

There are lots of things that take priority sometimes when the weight starts to creep back up to normal again. People have children, divorces, they change careers, get illnesses, go through rough financial times. Life happens. That some of you can cast so much judgment and think it's 100% just a matter of doing xyz shows how little experience you have in the world.

When I came here I had experienced an alarmingly fast reversion of my weight after a loss. I was alarmed at how rapid the weight gained on me. It was clear to me that this was beyond normal, that something serious had changed and that this time it wasn't going to stop at 160 it was going to exceed that and probably never stop. I could have just thought to myself well, I'm getting older, that's what happens, but I knew there was something wrong and that I had to find a solution.

Now to answer your stupid "did you try" questions. Yes, I have done everything that is suggested here except for the really crazy stuff like single ingredient diets. I eat lean meats, steamed vegetables, sweet potatoes, a little fruit. None of the little tweaks like IF really makes any difference. I have sampled them all. This is what I am. I feel great. I'm pretty sure I'm going to live a long time. You I'm not so sure because if you ever say to my face any such shit like "hog fat" or "beached whale" you are going to regret it. If I can't beat you up myself, I'm going to sic Magnolia on you 'cause she's really strong.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to sic Magnolia on you 'cause she's really strong.
    LOL, I deadlifted 235 today and squatted 165. And that was a below parallel squat, thanks.

Men should lift weights lest the gal they moo out can out lift them.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I should also add that never in my entire 48 years have I ever resembled the "appropriate for the beach" bikini girl. Never. Not even as a little girl. Not even as an anorexic teenager eating sub-500 calories a day.

Maybe it'll make more sense when you are older but you will see that you can go decades between seeing some of your old friends and when you see them again, most of them will be pretty close to the same size you remembered them. My father never changes sizes and he does not diet and does not eat any special way. His lady friend has been the same size her entire life and I've known her since I was in 4th grade. She has always been thin. Her daughter has always been very thin and looks exactly the same as I've always known her. My mother and grandmother were always the same size, maybe a little thinner now, a little fatter then, but always within the same range. Always. It is like that with my best friends from high school, with my boyfriend and his 5 siblings, with friends from childhood I suddenly see 30 years later. With everyone I have ever known.

Once in a while there will be an old friend or relative that shows a remarkable change. Often when you see them again they will have reversed it. That's just how it is in life.

You are the size you are. It fluctuates. It's likely that whatever you were roughly around age 19 is fairly representative of your natural weight. You can only fix it for so long and then it starts to revert.

There are lots of things that take priority sometimes when the weight starts to creep back up to normal again. People have children, divorces, they change careers, get illnesses, go through rough financial times. Life happens. That some of you can cast so much judgment and think it's 100% just a matter of doing xyz shows how little experience you have in the world.

When I came here I had experienced an alarmingly fast reversion of my weight after a loss. I was alarmed at how rapid the weight gained on me. It was clear to me that this was beyond normal, that something serious had changed and that this time it wasn't going to stop at 160 it was going to exceed that and probably never stop. I could have just thought to myself well, I'm getting older, that's what happens, but I knew there was something wrong and that I had to find a solution.

Now to answer your stupid "did you try" questions. Yes, I have done everything that is suggested here except for the really crazy stuff like single ingredient diets. I eat lean meats, steamed vegetables, sweet potatoes, a little fruit. None of the little tweaks like IF really makes any difference. I have sampled them all. This is what I am. I feel great. I'm pretty sure I'm going to live a long time. You I'm not so sure because if you ever say to my face any such shit like "hog fat" or "beached whale" you are going to regret it. If I can't beat you up myself, I'm going to sic Magnolia on you 'cause she's really strong.
    Sounds a lot like this news story Mark posted in Weekend Link Love New Study Finds It Is Impossible To Lose Weight, No One Has Ever Done It, And Those Who Are Trying Should Give Up | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Give it a few more decades and you will see that I am right.

I've lost lots of weight. It's just the same weight over and over. I'm no longer chasing an unrealistic goal and happy to maintain a decent weight for myself. If it offends people out there, that is their problem.

I sure hope I can make it to 200+ deadlift. Today I squatted 112.5 and it practically killed me. I did 120 the other day and it didn't feel as bad. (I'm doing a 5/1 version of 5/3/1). It's really hard to get strong, but I'm not going to give up. This is way more rewarding than trying to please the voyeurs.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Give it a few more decades and you will see that I am right.

I've lost lots of weight. It's just the same weight over and over. I'm no longer chasing an unrealistic goal and happy to maintain a decent weight for myself. If it offends people out there, that is their problem.

I sure hope I can make it to 200+ deadlift. Today I squatted 112.5 and it practically killed me. I did 120 the other day and it didn't feel as bad. (I'm doing a 5/1 version of 5/3/1). It's really hard to get strong, but I'm not going to give up. This is way more rewarding than trying to please the voyeurs.
    Probably makes sense to eat clean, focus on your health and fitness and forget about the weight.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Damn! That sucks! I don't think it's all that funny though.

Here is me two years ago -

And here is me less than two years later -

As a middle-aged woman who finally figured out how to get a grip on her weight, I still don't feel qualified to lecture women every where on their short-comings. WTF is with these men who think they know what's what?
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Life is all about priorities. Back when I was 270, physical health wasn't too high on my list. It's a lot more important to me now, but there's still stuff in front of it. Everyone marches to a different drummer.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Page 69 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast