Page 67 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 67

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Thank you for being the voice of reason.

And Magnolia, your epic post a few pages back is so true. Sure everybody can blame your protagonist for listening to Oprah and Dr. Oz but how is what they are recommending any different from what people here recommend? They both say eat less, move more. Eat less fat because it has more calories. People say this over and over on this forum all the time.

When I was 165lbs my typical day was half a whole-wheat bagel with almond butter and half a banana. Lunch was a salad without dressing. I'd get either the one with a scoop of tuna salad or the greek salad with the homeopathic dose of feta cheese. I'd run 3-5 miles before lunch. I'd be so hungry I'd fight and fight the urge to get something else to eat by mid-afternoon. I'd usually fail and end up with a muffin or some kind of oaty vegan energy bar thing. Dinner would be something like piles of pasta, rice or rice noodles with something on top.

When I lost the weight, for breakfast I was eating bacon or sausage and eggs, or liver and onions. A much larger quantity of food by volume and calories than my half bagel. I'd eat the salad again for lunch but I'd put my own salmon plus real olive oil on the salad. I quit the running and just took an easy walk. I'd get some hard boiled eggs for a mid-afternoon snack. I'd have butter on top of cheese for an appetizer before dinner. I'd eat meat, veggies and a little potato for dinner. I'd have 3 glasses of wine and some dark chocolate for dessert. It was plenty of calories, certainly not diet-like at all. I was hardly ever hungry. I was always chastising myself for overeating on a daily basis. Yet I lost almost 30lbs.

I should go back to that because eating lean protein and potatoes to fuel my physical activities hasn't resulted in any appreciable or lasting loss of belly rolls or upper-arm wap-wap. And just like any typical dieter, attempts to reduce portion sizes often leaves me in this hungry state where I lose control and eat a banana or too big of a potato. That didn't happen when I ate higher fat. I could go a long time being hungry and not really care that I was hungry. A different quality of hunger that was tolerable.
    question. if you were 30lbs overweight, how did you get that way? i'm guessing it wasn't from salad and 1/2 a bagel.

then when you tried to lose the 30lbs, your starved/malnourished yourself, and exercised to the point of stressing your system way the hell out. and you wonder why you couldn't lose weight then. because every fiber of your being was screaming at you and telling you to store the fat based upon the terrible state of health you were in. this is a no brainer. the same people who argue that its more than CICO, are using their own logic against them in this thread. mind is officially boggled
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    he did a lot to help me, but even a few years ago pcos was widely unknown in the medical field. he did what he could, i googled a lot
    yeah. i think unfortunately, PCOS is way more common that people even know. I actually know a ton of women who are dealing with, or have dealt with it. crazy stuff
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    What made me eat Paleo...

Personally I was diagnosed with a brain disease(autoimmune connected) and one of the first pronouncements was "no sodium".
    That removed every single processed food one the face of the earth from my choice list...
    It wasn't a stretch to say "no grains" at all as I found that my earlier disease that I had already been living with for 13 years had also been reclassified as an autoimmune condition.
    Beans tastes like a dirt road with no salt, so there's that.
    I've never been one to eat processed oils... always olive oil and natural animal fats thanks to growing up on a farm.

What was I left with?
    Fruit, vegetables, dairy, nuts, meat.
    Primal Blueprint.
    I actually discovered the book/this website after I had been eating pretty much this way for a couple of months already.

I was one of those people who ate the prescribed oatmeal for breakfast, the piece of fruit and the low fat turkey on whole wheat with lots of salad stuff piled on it for lunch... and was starving to the point of having the hypoglycemic shakes at 3-4pm even though on paper it looked like a perfect "diet" according to a nutritionist. Dinners were boneless skinless chicken breasts, a cup of brown rice, and salad dressed in dressing made as low fat as possible with mostly herbs fruit juice and vinegar.
    Most of the time all I could think about was being hungry. There was zero satisfaction in food.

I don't eat anything all day now.
    I IF all day and I came to this naturally on Paleo/Primal... I didn't "try" to make myself do this.
    Because my autoimmune issues have jacked up my system and hormones so bad I lose weight extremely slowly... but I have lost a good amount of weight without "TRYING" or feeling deprived.
    An 1 year ago I couldn't reliably walk 2 blocks on any given day because of my brain issues.
    Friday I hiked 10k unexpectedly on my morning cup of coffee, a small packet of nuts, and a 70oz camelbak of water.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    but wait. if its more than discipline and personal choice, then what made you eat paleo? i'm sure it wasn't oprah

i'd love to know what percentage of people who disagree with me are overweight/formerly overweight, middle aged women. i'm guessing its most of you. so sad.. all of you are "victims" of oprah and shape magazine, and dr. oz. then suddenly, you did some research on your own and found MDA or another paleo site, and your lives magically changed. imagine if you put in the leg-work of giving a crap about yourself and your health from the time you were a child. i'm sure you'd have a different view of the world too
    I guess I'm an exception to the rule. I have never watched Oprah, in fact I don't watch TV or read magazines. I was just barely overweight when I started eating paleo, but I am middle aged so I guess you got me there.

I've always been a free thinker, and have considered my mental health to be part of my healthy lifestyle that's why I don't consume crap in the form of food or entertainment. I don't feed it to my child either. But I do have some compassion for those who are not as fortunate as me. I was skinny as a child (I think that was luck), my mom stayed home and cooked real food and I am thankful for that. In my formative years I was exposed to unconventional ways of living and thinking, I grew up questioning common wisdom so the dominant destructive ways of eating and the cultural forces that influence the way women view their bodies never really took a hold of me. I know I am not typical, but I have compassion for those that were raised in the toxic culture we live in.

Like Neckhammer said earlier the damage that is done by those toxic influences (physical and mental) are not easy to reverse and your lack of compassion is not helping. So why don't men lift could be because they don't want to be judged by people like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I guess I'm an exception to the rule. I have never watched Oprah, in fact I don't watch TV or read magazines. I was just barely overweight when I started eating paleo, but I am middle aged so I guess you got me there.

I've always been a free thinker, and have considered my mental health to be part of my healthy lifestyle that's why I don't consume crap in the form of food or entertainment. I don't feed it to my child either. But I do have some compassion for those who are not as fortunate as me. I was skinny as a child (I think that was luck), my mom stayed home and cooked real food and I am thankful for that. In my formative years I was exposed to unconventional ways of living and thinking, I grew up questioning common wisdom so the dominant destructive ways of eating and the cultural forces that influence the way women view their bodies never really took a hold of me. I know I am not typical, but I have compassion for those that were raised in the toxic culture we live in.

Like Neckhammer said earlier the damage that is done by those toxic influences (physical and mental) are not easy to reverse and your lack of compassion is not helping. So why don't men lift could be because they don't want to be judged by people like you.
    that made me smile. thanks for that. you're right. i don't have compassion for able minded and able bodied people who actively make the wrong decisions. i don't have compassion for people who are "victims" and who blame others for their misfortunes. and what i see in this thread is a whole lot of that going on. if anything, i'm supportive and helpful to everyone on this thread. but i don't sugarcoat or babysit. if you don't like my approach, then don't reply to what i say. there is always a way to do the right thing. so you don't make a lot of money, but you want to feed your family right. buy meat, rice, potatoes, frozen veggies, etc in bulk. don't cop out and eat off the dollar menu at mcdonalds. if you're here to lose weight and be healthy, do that, don't yap about oprah leading you down the wrong path. take responsibility for the decisions you have made.

its kind of funny that you'll snap judgement on me for judging other people, isn't it? hypocrisy at its finest. if anything, I've inspired more people (in real life, not on an internet forum) to work out, eat right, etc. so if you think men aren't lifting because of people like me, i don't know what to say.

BigChris is offline Senior Member
    So why don't men lift … could be because ….

As a big (fat) guy that was strong like bull in my youth ... like I could easily unload a whole pickup truck full of grain caring a 100lbs bag on each shoulder for a few hundred yards threw the barn. … I never got the social benefit from being strong or lifting heavy things … just the opposite … as everyone especially the girls made sure I new I was the biggest kid in class and thus the last one they would ever think of dating … and from seeing most women I knew always running off after the small, skinny, wize-ass this just confirmed the mindset that socially big and strong is bad, very bad ...

So what was the point? It’s not like how much I can lift or how big my guns are mattered … at least not when you still have a belly. …. And as to the comment about pro athletes and body builder being inspiration … I was always told they got that way from steroid or other performance enhancing drugs and all day training which didn’t allow them time for a real job so must be they had some one paying their way all the time - - ie nothing I had or would ever come close to having so don’t even think about it.

Not making excuse just laying out some personally experiences that helped frame the misguided thinking and choices I made.
    Last edited by BigChris; 06-17-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    04/23/2012 Initial Weight : 445 lbs
    06/27/2012 Current weight : 403 lbs
    07/29/2014 Goal weight : 200 lbs

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    all of you are "victims" of oprah and shape magazine, and dr. oz. then suddenly, you did some research on your own and found MDA or another paleo site, and your lives magically changed. imagine if you put in the leg-work of giving a crap about yourself
    We did do leg work. It just led us to the wrong answer I guess. It's not like I didn't keep looking around for solutions, it's just I kept finding the same "low fat" solution from all resources.

I found out about paleo from my brother who had success with it.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    if anything, I've inspired more people (in real life, not on an internet forum) to work out, eat right, etc. so if you think men aren't lifting because of people like me, i don't know what to say.
    Same here. I have been one of the critics of men and diets in this thread and yet I have personally been responsible for people getting into barbells and better food in real life. Criticism and discouragement/mockery are very different things.

An example of a recent string of events from real life:

Friend: "I've been stressed out lately and signed up for a gym membership."
    Me: "Oh yeah? What kind of stuff have you been doing?"
    Friend: "Some stuff with dumbbells, some pull-ups, etc."
    Me: "What are you trying to accomplish?"
    Friend: "Relieve some stress and gain some strength and muscle, but I don't want to go to the gym often or eat a lot like you"
    Me: "Does your gym have barbells?"
    Friend: "They have Smith machines, and fixed weight bars up to 70lb"
    Me: "Find a new gym"
    Friend: "It's good enough for what I want to do"
    Me: "No, really, find a new gym. You can go to the gym 2-3 times a week, do 5 exercises total, and you will be stronger and see more results if you have access to proper barbells."
    Friend: "...Yeah, maybe..."
    ::3 months later after minimal results with his previous routine
    Friend: "Ok, I switched gyms"
    Me: "Have you tried doing the basic barbell stuff I told you about before? Squats, deads, presses, bench, and some chins?"
    Friend: "Yeah... I hate them..."
    Me: "Me too, what about the results?"
    Friend: "...I'm too wiped from things like squats to be stressed out, so that helps on that front, and I'm definitely stronger than before because my whole body seems to be responding"
    Me: "Welcome to the club"
    Friend: "You suck"

dabears is offline Member
    so many damaged personalities in this thread, it is unreal. Just read through it all

there is very rarely an excuse to be "obese". But these individuals have become very good at making them. My mother had thyroid cancer and had it removed a few years ago, but yet at 54 she remains a healthier weight / appearance than most women in their 20's/30's. Why? Proper nutrition, and exercise. She has lifelong habits that encouraged this to continue.

Lot of hurt feelings in here, mostly by the "i was obese but no longer am thanks to MDA" crowd. Congratulations on turning your life around and getting more fit & healthy! Seriously. However... Do you deserve a cookie for your "hard work"? Absolutely fucking not. You took the easy route for a much longer time, and paid for it. For lots of people, staying active and eating healthy is a day to day thing and has been for YEARS. You don't see those people parading around saying look at my results! It is just a daily thing for them, and always has been. Nothing to see here, move along so to speak.

If you want to be obese (and therefore very likely unhealthy) that is your own personal choice. Just like it is my personal choice to look down on you for it. For example, I've experimented with party drugs in my past, and I wouldn't be upset if someone looked down on me for it. I know it is unhealthy, but it was my CHOICE to try them. But I wouldn't go around attempting to parade those drugs as healthy or socially acceptable, which is exactly what the obese do with their "curves talk", plus sized mannequins in stores, dove ads, etc... trying to make an unhealthy lifestyle choice into something that is socially embraced. It isn't, and never will be.

Nobodies perfect, but you are cheating yourself if you don't do the very best you can in everything you do.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabears View Post
    Do you deserve a cookie for your "hard work"?
    i don't want a cookie, i want this

Low-Carb Chocolate Mint Torte | thisemptyplate
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 67 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast