Page 66 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 66

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Honestly, in my case, I think my body wanted fat, not sugar. Because trust me, I tried the whole fruit at 3pm and then I just wanted something more and I guess grabbing bacon or butter doesn't cross your mind and sweets have some fat in them.

When I started eating primal, and this is gross (or maybe not) I stood in my kitchen and ate the skin off and then devoured a whole roast chicken. I used to just eat a shit ton of animal fat- I'd eat the fattiest steaks, chicken skin. During this time, you could have paraded a cupcake in front of me and I'd have thrown it at your head. I was obviously starved for fat.

Unfortunately, it took me "giving up" to stumble upon paleo and primal. Because it was so smooshed in my head that low fat was the solution and I just didn't have the willpower, I never even considered that maybe my body needed more fat and protein.
    this is amazing to me. in a good way. i'm happy to know that you are here and I wish millions of other people could have the epiphany you had.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigChris View Post
    Since gluttony and sloth are obviously my two favorite sins (I am 400+ lbs after all) just thought I would let you all know I spent the weekend sitting on the beach and even ate a 7lb lobster and loved ever fat, lazy, stupid, glorious weight loseing moment of it.
    Hey, I had lobster yesterday also - and plenty of champagne, whiskey and beer! I even ate pork and bacon this weekend and I don't regret anything...

BigChris is offline Senior Member
    Ok seriously I understand and to a large degree do agree with what ‘not on the rug’ is saying.

Where I have the issue “effort required” as I personally needed to work like 3-5 times as hard as many others to loose the weight “on a SAD grain-loaded diet” (like the only time I could eat like that and steadily loose was when I was a teen working on the farm throwing 75lb bales of hay around for 14+hrs a day during the summer – weight always went up again in the winter, same diet year round) yep it sucked and so I just said f-it. got an education and job sitting on my ass programming computers making 10 times what I would have as a health fit active farm slave … (and the extra dollars have allowed me to see vastly more, do far more and travel much more then being poor but fit would ever have)

yes I could still have chosen to work out 8+hrs a day at the gym on top of my 50+ a week at the office but why when it was just simpler and easer to buy a bigger truck to hall my fat lazy ass around.

Now having said that there have been numerous times which seems to cycle ever 3-5 years where for a while; excluding the times I lived off of speed or smoking heroin and the 2 years as a hi-soy vegetarian … I “got my shit together” and my “head on straight”, “put in the effort” and ate a very calorie controlled hi-protein low carb diet and put in 90min a day in the weight room and lost a bunch of weight real quick but never found a way (or perhaps I’m just to stupid) to make it work long term. And yes as soon as I stopped being self masochistic and returned to eating normal starch grain laden food and computer gaming to de stress (killing shit on-line always worked far far better then the gym ever did) the weight went right back on just as quick.

oh and counter to your presumption I really have never ever eaten typical MC’whatever fast food or bag after bag of chips or sweet packaged junk food, – but a whole large loaf of fresh hot multi grain bread – hell yes -- and plates full of rice/pasta/root-tubers ect where always the base of most meals.
    04/23/2012 Max Weight : 448 lbs
    01/01/2014 Initial Weight : 438 lbs
    10/20/2014 Current weight : 328 lbs
    12/31/2015 Goal weight : 228 lbs

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    I still think you guys are making it too complex. Entertain for a moment this simple idea...

People eat what's there.

The food supply in the USA is what it is, someone needs to eat it. It's true *an individual* could fly above the masses, and not eat it, we on MDA exist. But the masses have no other possible outcome than obesity.

To give an example from the stock market; I can outperform the market, but the masses can't outperform the market, because the masses *are* the market.

Note I'm not talking about what I'd like to be true, but rather observing what happens. Each time sugar, white flour and processed foods are introduced to a society, and reach levels that begin displacing real foods, the food supply by definition has changed, and people must eat the food supply, therefore they must get fat.

They *must* eat more calories, and get fatter, to get the same nutrition (because empty calories have displaced real foods). So "eat less" will only result in nutritional deficiencies.

The only thing we could say is "yes, but by demanding real food the food supply could be changed."

Meh, perhaps, but it would require significant government intervention, funding, redistribution of labor, changing of societal values.

I have to agree with all this. Notontherug is looking at the problem from a very simplistic view, to say that it all comes down to personal choice and self discipline is very naive.

We live in society that devotes enormous resources to producing food (if you can even call it food) and convincing people to consume it knowing full well that it will make them sick (thereby fueling another sector of the economy, health care, pharmaceuticals) and eventually kill them.

The laws of supply and demand do not apply when the market and advertising are controlled by corporations that are subsidized by the government. The vast majority of farm land is used to produce "food" we do not need. When you get Madison Ave., Wall Street and Washington aligned to funnel this useless and actually dangerous product through the American population it is no small wonder that population is sick and obese.

To get an idea of the magnitude of resources involved watch King Corn: Watch King Corn online | Free | Hulu

Personally, I believe the producing of an obese population (and it's varied auxiliary industries) is what fuels the GDP.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I have to agree with all this. Notontherug is looking at the problem from a very simplistic view, to say that it all comes down to personal choice and self discipline is very naive.

We live in society that devotes enormous resources to producing food (if you can even call it food) and convincing people to consume it knowing full well that it will make them sick (thereby fueling another sector of the economy, health care, pharmaceuticals) and eventually kill them.

The laws of supply and demand do not apply when the market and advertising are controlled by corporations that are subsidized by the government. The vast majority of farm land is used to produce "food" we do not need. When you get Madison Ave., Wall Street and Washington aligned to funnel this useless and actually dangerous product through the American population it is no small wonder that population is sick and obese.

To get an idea of the magnitude of resources involved watch King Corn: Watch King Corn online | Free | Hulu

Personally, I believe the producing of an obese population (and it's varied auxiliary industries) is what fuels the GDP.
    How frequently are people force fed by the corporations and/or government? Is healthy food not available? Should the government control how much you can eat?

There will always be misinformation from salesmen. Do you trust a company when they say their products are the best? Do you buy a car because the manufacturer says it is top notch? At what point do you realize that commercials, labels, and shiny packages are not forcing you to do anything?

Food in the US is generally terrible. That said, the people in the US keep buying it while alternatives are available. If a company can make millions selling GMO corn, trans fat laden, smothered in preservatives, chemical goo sugary garbage, it will continue doing so, and it will advertise the hell out of it. Unless and until the people start choosing other products, the company will keep selling garbage because it makes them a lot of money.

For crying out loud, Americans spend billions a year on junk food. Junk food. How much clearer can it be that what you are eating is shit when it's in a food category called "junk".
    Last edited by quikky; 06-17-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post

but wait. if its more than discipline and personal choice, then what made you eat paleo? i'm sure it wasn't oprah

i'd love to know what percentage of people who disagree with me are overweight/formerly overweight, middle aged women. i'm guessing its most of you. so sad.. all of you are "victims" of oprah and shape magazine, and dr. oz. then suddenly, you did some research on your own and found MDA or another paleo site, and your lives magically changed. imagine if you put in the leg-work of giving a crap about yourself and your health from the time you were a child. i'm sure you'd have a different view of the world too
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    But taken as a whole, a society, they have no other choice.

We know Americans are eating more, 2,700 calories. We know 60% of these calories are sugar, grains and vegetable oil. That means they are getting 1,080 real calories from meat, milk, vegi, fruit and nuts. The sugar is worthless. Lets be generous and say the bread and vegi oil are worth 40% "real calories", so +430. Now they are getting 1,500 calories from real food.

Thus even though they over eat, they are under nourished and feel like shit.

Lets say they go on a diet and reduce their standard US food supply ration by 25%. They are now getting 2,000 calories, and in *theory* won't get fat, but are only eating 1,100 of real foods!

If they just "cut back" they will feel severely undernourished.
    Thank you for being the voice of reason.

And Magnolia, your epic post a few pages back is so true. Sure everybody can blame your protagonist for listening to Oprah and Dr. Oz but how is what they are recommending any different from what people here recommend? They both say eat less, move more. Eat less fat because it has more calories. People say this over and over on this forum all the time.

When I was 165lbs my typical day was half a whole-wheat bagel with almond butter and half a banana. Lunch was a salad without dressing. I'd get either the one with a scoop of tuna salad or the greek salad with the homeopathic dose of feta cheese. I'd run 3-5 miles before lunch. I'd be so hungry I'd fight and fight the urge to get something else to eat by mid-afternoon. I'd usually fail and end up with a muffin or some kind of oaty vegan energy bar thing. Dinner would be something like piles of pasta, rice or rice noodles with something on top.

When I lost the weight, for breakfast I was eating bacon or sausage and eggs, or liver and onions. A much larger quantity of food by volume and calories than my half bagel. I'd eat the salad again for lunch but I'd put my own salmon plus real olive oil on the salad. I quit the running and just took an easy walk. I'd get some hard boiled eggs for a mid-afternoon snack. I'd have butter on top of cheese for an appetizer before dinner. I'd eat meat, veggies and a little potato for dinner. I'd have 3 glasses of wine and some dark chocolate for dessert. It was plenty of calories, certainly not diet-like at all. I was hardly ever hungry. I was always chastising myself for overeating on a daily basis. Yet I lost almost 30lbs.

I should go back to that because eating lean protein and potatoes to fuel my physical activities hasn't resulted in any appreciable or lasting loss of belly rolls or upper-arm wap-wap. And just like any typical dieter, attempts to reduce portion sizes often leaves me in this hungry state where I lose control and eat a banana or too big of a potato. That didn't happen when I ate higher fat. I could go a long time being hungry and not really care that I was hungry. A different quality of hunger that was tolerable.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    welp, i'm not middle aged. i'm not a reformed oprah or dr oz follower. jerry springer was my thing, and i was most likely too young to watch it

as a kid, i ate what mom cooked and what mom cooked was what she thought was healthy based on the dietary guidelines of the 80s

but just imagine if i had known, as a kid, that food was more than food!

what did i know as a kid? onions taste bad, but green beans and macaroni taste good

i used to think about that sht all the time, and regret that i didn't know back then that some foods were causing me to be this overweight blob, and i didn't have to listen to my doctor when he said, with regret, that maybe i should just accept myself as i was because he had run out of ideas to help. i got over it.
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    i used to think about that sht all the time, and regret that i didn't know back then that some foods were causing me to be this overweight blob, and i didn't have to listen to my doctor when he said, with regret, that maybe i should just accept myself as i was because he had run out of ideas to help. i got over it.
    your doctor actually said that? I hope that was the last time you ever set foot in his office

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    he did a lot to help me, but even a few years ago pcos was widely unknown in the medical field. he did what he could, i googled a lot
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 66 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast