Page 63 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 63

If you all are unwilling to admit that MOST obese people are that way because they eat too much, I dont know what else to say

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    From personal experience, I know that being big has its advantages. Dave Tate backs me up on this.

EFS Classic: 27 Reasons To Be Big
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Sugar based cognitive impairment...
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread88126.html
    Stupid enough to be a multimillionaire.

And yes, I agree that people are fat because they eat too much for their metabolism.
    But until we realize that:
    1. Some people will never be able to control how much they eat due to certain foods triggering cravings
    2. Some people really can't eat enough to get all the nutrition they need due to slower than normal metabolisms
    3. Some people really need to eat certain macros to eat the "right amount"
    4. Some people need education to eat better
    5. Some people don't have access to good foods
    6. Some people are a combo of all of the above

Then we really won't make any progress. Unfortunately, all we focus on right now is "they don't have discipline" and end up getting fatter.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Not to mention the fact that a lot of these people are following the advice of their doctors.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Stupid enough to be a multimillionaire.

And yes, I agree that people are fat because they eat too much for their metabolism.
    But until we realize that:
    1. Some people will never be able to control how much they eat due to certain foods triggering cravings
    2. Some people really can't eat enough to get all the nutrition they need due to slower than normal metabolisms
    3. Some people really need to eat certain macros to eat the "right amount"
    4. Some people need education to eat better
    5. Some people don't have access to good foods
    6. Some people are a combo of all of the above

Then we really won't make any progress. Unfortunately, all we focus on right now is "they don't have discipline" and end up getting fatter.
    It still all boils down to discipline. Conventional wisdom wants you to eat whole grains, low fat, lots of vegetables, some fruit, and some meat and dairy, minimizing salt, sugar, and saturated fat and cholesterol. We all know there are many flaws in this diet. However, the obese are not following this diet. Doctors and nutritionists are not telling their patients to eat junk food, to buy potato chips, to drink soda, and to eat donuts - which Americans overwhelmingly do.

That 350lb fat guy is not eating wild rice with steamed broccoli and a skinless chicken breast, he's eating KFC with a 32oz Pepsi. That 300lb woman is not fat because of her whole grain sandwich with fat free turkey ham and homemade salad, it's because she gets a Venti Mocha Frappucino with whipped cream and chocolate along with a raspberry danish at Starbucks.

It's not about education - they know it's bad! There's people smoking, do they not know it's bad? No, they are undisciplined and lazy and think the effects of smoking won't get to them. It's not about money, because junk and processed food actually costs more than buying simple fresh ingredients. It's not time because you can cook twice a week and eat the leftovers throughout, without driving to a restaurant every time you want to eat. The foods triggering cravings are usually sugar and salty/fatty foods - both of which are known to be unhealthy. It's not like whole grains, vegetables and lean meats will turn you into a ravenous glutton - no, but donuts, cheesecake, and soda will.

Macros needing to be just right is also bullshit. There are countless poor countries around the world where people do not have the luxury of picking the number of grams of carbs they need to maintain good body composition, yet they do not know what obesity is. Why? They can't stuff their faces with food! They have much less of it, so they are not fat, even though they subsist primarily on grains and tubers. Send any fat American to a 3rd world country to live with the natives and a year later will come back a skinny American. It won't be because of starvation, it will be because they won't have access to gallons of soda, Krispy Kreme, and McD's.

There are exceptions to this, but until I see the Taco Bell drive thru empty, soda on sale for 80% off because no one is buying it, and processed snacks being thrown out because they go bad without sale, my point about discipline will stand.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Seriously, epigenetics are at play and some people are dealt tougher hands based on the past few generations of increased food additives, gmo, refined carbs, excitotoxins and other enviromental elements that now increase our toxic load. It is a fact, and while this in no way means that people are "destined" for obesity its much like the person who has a predisposition for alcoholism. The slope is steeper and more slippery. Fact is that we are at the mercy of our parents and even generations prior from the beginning and for up to 2 decades of our formative years. You can dig a pretty big hole if you don't know better in that time period and it may very well take you all of your mid-life years to work your way out. Hormonal disarray does not happen overnight and it doesn't go away immediately either.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    That 300lb woman is not fat because of her whole grain sandwich with fat free turkey ham and homemade salad,
    I can vouch that for me, that lunch would make me want to go eat a cupcake the way a crackhead wants crack. You know the fat free yogurt with fruit sets you up to need the double whipped latte with extra syrup and twelve shots.

For whatever reason, for a shit ton of people, carbs not balanced with protein and fat set up sugar cravings that are no joke.

And it has not a thing to do about discipline. The day I stopped eating grains as a main part of my diet, started to eat meat and threw in some fat was the day I stopped having crack like cravings for sugar at 3pm every day. That's not discipline, that's a reaction to a food....I imagine that type of issue explains at least a good portion of the crap people by.

I never even had carb flu. It was like someone turned off a switch.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I can vouch that for me, that lunch would make me want to go eat a cupcake the way a crackhead wants crack. You know the fat free yogurt with fruit sets you up to need the double whipped latte with extra syrup and twelve shots.

For whatever reason, for a shit ton of people, carbs not balanced with protein and fat set up sugar cravings that are no joke.

And it has not a thing to do about discipline. The day I stopped eating grains as a main part of my diet, started to eat meat and threw in some fat was the day I stopped having crack like cravings for sugar at 3pm every day. That's not discipline, that's a reaction to a food....I imagine that type of issue explains at least a good portion of the crap people by.

I never even had carb flu. It was like someone turned off a switch.
    Yogurt is really bad, I agree. It is labeled as a healthy food (you know, it has those probiotics and calcium and it's fat free, so it must be good) and yet it is usually a sugar bomb.

Just keep in mind that there are a lot of societies in the world that eat a lot of carbs, not by choice, but because things like meat are a luxury and are rarely affordable. Yet, they are not fat. Coca Cola made ~$20 billion from US sales last year. McDonald's ~$34.2 billion in 2011, Wendy's $8.5 billion, Burger King $8.4 billion, PepsiCo ~$30 billion, Dunkin Donuts $5.9 billion.

Annual sales of Butterfingers are $124 million. Twix $172 million. Snickers $442 million. Reese's $516 million.

KFC sells 1.5 billion pounds of chicken a year. Kripsy Kreme average over 10 million donuts per store. In 2011 Frappuccino alone were a $2 billion dollar brand of Starbucks.

It's not the whole grain bread that's making people obese, I promise you.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    But why did everyone suddenly decide gluttony was the way, the truth and the light? Could it possibly be because government and science told them that their hearts would explode if they continued to eat steak and eggs? Can you find a single older person in your life who doesn't believe this and think you are a nutcase for not believing it?

Soda is non-fat. And every fat lady drinks diet soda so don't even go there on the soda.

Who eats fried chicken and Pepsi? A lot of thin guys do and a lot of fat everybody's do. How come some people eat that shit and don't get fat? They're eating gluttonous disgusting foods, too.

How come I managed to lose 35lbs eating at Taco Bell and Carl's Jr. every single night. My favorites were the 7-Layer Burrito and the AYCE salad bar with copious creamy jello squares. Not to mention cheese burgers and fries with a diet coke.

How come I maintained a thick layer of cottage-cheesey hog fat hiking 30 miles daily for 3 months?

How come none of this works the way everybody says it does?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Natureman Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    It's not about education - they know it's bad! There's people smoking, do they not know it's bad? No, they are undisciplined and lazy and think the effects of smoking won't get to them. It's not about money, because junk and processed food actually costs more than buying simple fresh ingredients. It's not time because you can cook twice a week and eat the leftovers throughout, without driving to a restaurant every time you want to eat. The foods triggering cravings are usually sugar and salty/fatty foods - both of which are known to be unhealthy. It's not like whole grains, vegetables and lean meats will turn you into a ravenous glutton - no, but donuts, cheesecake, and soda will.
    Right!!! Americans HATE personal responsibility.

Page 63 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast