Page 61 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 61

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I'm 5'9"... the difference for me is more like 1200 and 1500.

Primal fixed many symptoms of disease for me... but there is real damage that it can't undo.
    I eat one normal sized meal a day.
    I'm a "HOG".

Isn't that awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    You hog fat glutton. Get it under control, are you stupid or something?
    I'm tired of paying the high medical costs of your cellulite riddled saddlebags.

We need to send you to Korea and feed you 1/2 cup of rice and 1/2 cup of fermented fish a day and if you sneak more food, we'll cut your hands. Get the number on the scale down one way or another.
    i might have had my feelings hurt at the turn of this entire conversation, but all y'all done saved the day
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It's the gluttony. When they changed the nutritional guidelines and obesity suddenly increased, it was hundreds of millions of Americans suddenly becoming gluttons that was the real cause.
    Actually, that's kind of what happened:

Also, people are less active:

Americans have become less physically active overall between 1955 and 2005.[29] While the rate of leisure-time physical activity has not changed significantly there has been a decrease in work-related activity, human powered transportation, activity in the home, and increasing sedentary activity.[29] During 2000 and 2005 the number of adults who were never physically active increased from 9.4% to 10.3% while the number who were engaged in the highest level of physical activity decreased from 18.7% to 16.7%. Pertaining to leisure-time physical activity, people involved in no activity increased from 38.5% to 40.0% while those who spent most of their day sitting increased from 36.8% to 39.9%.[6]
    In 2000 the CDC estimated that more than 40% of the US population was sedentary, another 30% was active but not sufficiently and less than 30% had an adequate level of physical activity.[30] There has been a trend toward decreased physical activity in part due to increasingly mechanized forms of work, changing modes of transportation, and increasing urbanization. Obesity rates have increased in relation to expanding suburbs. This has been attributed to increased time spent commuting, leading to less exercise and less meal preparation at home.[31] Driving one's children to school has become increasingly popular. In the USA the proportion of children who walk or bike to school declined between 1969 (42%) and 2001 (16%) resulting in less exercise.[30]
    There's also a major increase in sedentary jobs:

You don't need to study the primal lifestyle to realize that more calories consumed, plus less physical activity, plus less physical jobs will make you much fatter. Believe it or not, gluten is not to blame for everything.

------

http://sweetsurprise.com/sites/defau...oriesCount.pdf
    US per capita caloric intake, 1970-2008 » Graphic Sociology
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exerci...#United_States
    PLOS ONE: Trends over 5 Decades in U.S. Occupation-Related Physical Activity and Their Associations with Obesity

Natureman Guest
    Kinda like when some men start lifting and eating primal, the magic doesn't give them a 6 pack or monster biceps.
    Proper diet and the RIGHT kind of lifting and training WILL.

Natureman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It's the gluttony. When they changed the nutritional guidelines and obesity suddenly increased, it was hundreds of millions of Americans suddenly becoming gluttons that was the real cause.

So it's still really only about gluttony.
    That's a BIG part, yes.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    OH FOR FUCK's SAKE...
    Magnolia, do you honestly think the majority of obesity in America is not due to eating too much and moving too little? Sure, there are exceptions, there are people with genuine hormonal imbalances and medications and such that make them really overweight. However, look at the amount of fast food restaurants out there, as an example. Who is eating there? If all that junk food would not be eaten, these restaurants would not exist. Look at how much soda is everywhere, 64oz buckets sold at every gas station, people drinking soda at literally every restaurant out there, buying it at supermarkets, seeing all these soda ads everywhere. Who is drinking all of it? It's just sitting on the shelves, in vending machines, in the soda fountains, spoiling? All the garbage snacks, KFC chicken buckets, candy bars, hot dog stuffed in pizza crust, McFlurry's, The Baconators, who is buying all of it? Clearly all the fat people are just eating salad and jogging, and the skinny people are just magically skinny and subsist on air biscuits.

Natureman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    look at the amount of fast food restaurants out there, as an example. Who is eating there? If all that junk food would not be eaten, these restaurants would not exist.
    Right! But let's not forget...personal responsibility is not popular in the US today.

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Look at how much soda is everywhere, 64oz buckets sold at every gas station, people drinking soda at literally every restaurant out there, buying it at supermarkets, seeing all these soda ads everywhere. Who is drinking all of it? It's just sitting on the shelves, in vending machines, in the soda fountains, spoiling? All the garbage snacks, KFC chicken buckets, candy bars, hot dog stuffed in pizza crust, McFlurry's, The Baconators, who is buying all of it? Clearly all the fat people are just eating salad and jogging, and the skinny people are just magically skinny and subsist on air biscuits.
    THIS!!!!

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    I think that people like magnolia aren't wrong, just slightly off base. Humans tend to exist in a world where they are the center of their own universe. 99% of obese people are that way because of gluttony and sloth. The other 1%, like magnolia are exceptions. But they forget that sometimes. I don't think she is wrong, I just think she isn't seeing the bigger picture based on her own situation.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Not on the rug..... I'm gonna confiscate your shovel.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    99% of obese people are that way because of gluttony and sloth. The other 1%, like magnolia are exceptions. But they forget that sometimes. I don't think she is wrong, I just think she isn't seeing the bigger picture based on her own situation.
    What I do know... is that for the most part, fat people feel like shit mentally and physically and comparing then to farm animals and calling them stupid is pointless and not going to get the job done. If I had walked into CrossFit and heard one "mooo" or one person call me stupid for eating a banana, I'd have walked away. If you want someone to listen to your message, you need to treat them with some dignity and respect.

I know how hard it has been for me to lose weight, and I have watched otherwise smart, bright and good friends struggle with their weight. I've seen people go get surgery. I've seen obese people make genuine effort and just not make it. One of my favorite petsitting clients was a morbidly obese man who died of a stroke. He worked his ass off to insure his family had everything they needed. Yeah, he should have stopped drinking soda and walked his own dog. But he certainly wasn't stupid or lazy, he just made his priority the wrong thing (? but really he provided well for his family, so I'm not sure). I refuse to look down at him because he was morbidly obese.

I'm not saying you need to make love to fat people and look at them and find them attractive and worship them. But would you at least credit them that they have the potential to actually be good people albeit in a larger body? And that they don't deserve to be called farm animals? Or, stupid.

I mean, I have known stupid people in all sizes. I have known smart people of all sizes. My brain is the same at 172 as it was at 300. If you think when I was 300lbs that I was merrily eating pizza and tacos and sitting on my couch and thinking "damn, it's good to be fat", you would be wrong. I would liken it more like being an alcoholic only the addiction was to a substance needed to live and very easy to get hold of.

So if you've been thin all your life, lucky you. Maybe you are all awesome and shit. Or maybe you won a genetic lottery. But don't for a minute look at a fat person and claim moral and mental superiority because you are thin.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Also I think a lot of folks around here are skipping the most recent science that shows that MOST fat people do actually have significant hormonal and metabolic changes to their systems that they face versus thin people.
    And that many of those hormonal and metabolic changes can be their from birth or early childhood depending on our mother's condition or the foods they were fed as infants and small children.

It's not as simple as you guys like to paint the picture.

Reductionist thinking isn't helpful to anyone.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 61 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast