Page 53 of 92 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 53

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I wonder if Leida regrets starting this thread now..Pro'ly not, cause the topic of weight, body shape, body image, gender equality sexism and whatnot comes up pretty regularly anyway....as does the topic of fat acceptance...and Choco, I like you better when you talk about nutrition. Maybe next time compare pears to pears, perhaps?

I have the body of neither of the two women wearing bikinis. I also never try to compare myself to anyone and have come a long way in accepting myself the way I am. Some things I can control, like weight to certain extent. Currently I'm not overweight, but neither I look like the 17 yo in the bottom pic. And guess what, I'm okay with that. After all, I'm twice that girl's age. Also it's worthless comparing ourselves to a tiny, skinny girls. Some things we can not control. Like genes for example. Some women's musculoskeletal system is simply not designed that way. "Woe is me, I never did grow up to be 5' 10", I wanna kill myself now". Just like some, if not most men are not born to look like an CK underwear model or bodybuilder. It's called normal average, everyday people.

With that being said, we can strive for better health and for looking better. We can also accentuate the beautiful in us and perhaps not flaunt (like the bigger lady in the top picture) our flaws that much?

I know I'll probably get blasted by the fellow ladies here, but I feel that the heavier lady is flaunting her body as she is wearing that bikini. Like she is saying "Look at me this is the new normal. I'm so sexy and so proud of my body" ...hmmm IMO she is not.

IMO she could have picked bathing suit that better suits her body. It doesn't have to be a burk-ini either. For example I would not go out of my house bra-less. I feel better and more confident wearing nice, supporting bra. Period.

It reminds me of a commercial for Publix supermarkets deli sandwiches on TV. It shows overweight couple eating huge deli sandwiches with a great gusto. It's like the people who made it are telling us that being overweight and eating crap is normal. I just can not accept the fat acceptance movement.

Just my 2cents. that's all....

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    if you call a fat guy in a speedo fat, he'll laugh at you and enjoy his day a the beach. if you call a fat woman in a bikini fat, she'll cry her eyes out, starve herself on a fad diet, relapse and eat nothing but ice cream for a week, write a facebook post about how men are assholes, and then have a "woe is me" suicide attempt by taking a handful of Tylenol.
    This is true, but god forbid you call the woman fat and she flips your the bird and tells you to fuck off.... then she's a bitch. Or "should know better".

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    a public object =, to me, something everyone gets to mess with

why it can suck to be a woman, in my experience, is this;
    at any given moment, your body will be touched without your consent. if you ignore it 'hey she likes it', if you don't make a big deal in order to move on quickly, 'hey she likes it'. if you get pissed off 'hey calm down you psycho bitch it's a compliment!'

you can and will be ignored by salesmen in favor of your thinner cousin, when you are the one looking for something

men will have conversations with your chest

people with penises will try to intimidate you just because

your entire worth as a human being is based on your bangability level. it ranges from outright dismissal, to public mockery, to 'riding a moped is like fcking a fat chick. it's fun but you wouldn't want your friends to find out'
    Yeah, it's that but it's also something else. Probably one of the seminal concepts is the concept of "the gaze".
    Gaze - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's a similar concept in Freud's "Jokes and Their Relation to the Unconscious".

There's a revealing chapter in Sandra Cisneros' "House on Mango Street" when a young girl puts on high heeled shoes for the first time and suddenly moves from the innocence of childhood into a dangerous world of sexuality and predation.

Stuff like that. Not that it's the all-encompassing truth of womanhood, but an explanation for why things are different for us and why it is so hard to articulate what we are wanting without it getting twisted and missed completely.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

We can also accentuate the beautiful in us and perhaps not flaunt (like the bigger lady in the top picture) our flaws that much?
    For God Sakes, she is AT THE BEACH. A place where we soak up the sun. There is no swimsuit to cover up leg cellulite. The "shaper suits" don't fool anyone. Yeah, she picked an ill fitting suit. Here are your choices:
    Tank suit shelf bra for the sexy uniboob and cut off at a weird part of the leg look. Yeah, it covers.
    A skirted suit for those who like to look like a circus elephant in a tiny skirt. I actually have a lot of bikini bottoms like that. Keeps you from having to see about 3" of cellulite.
    The soft cup swimsuit which is PERFECT if you have big tits and want them kind of weirdly smooshed around.
    The wonderful underwire tankini with a skirted bottom.... great except it's $320 and the top is cropped to show off an 1" of flab.
    Or you could roll with one of these:
    Plus Size Swimwear

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I know I'll probably get blasted by the fellow ladies here, but I feel that the heavier lady is flaunting her body as she is wearing that bikini. Like she is saying "Look at me this is the new normal. I'm so sexy and so proud of my body" ...hmmm IMO she is not.

IMO she could have picked bathing suit that better suits her body. It doesn't have to be a burk-ini either. For example I would not go out of my house bra-less. I feel better and more confident wearing nice, supporting bra. Period.

It reminds me of a commercial for Publix supermarkets deli sandwiches on TV. It shows overweight couple eating huge deli sandwiches with a great gusto. It's like the people who made it are telling us that being overweight and eating crap is normal. I just can not accept the fat acceptance movement.

Just my 2cents. that's all....
    Maybe she is saying: I know I will get judged no matter what I wear, so fuck it... I want some sun on my skin and that's what I'll do.
    I've seen/heard plenty of times where heavy women in one piece suits were lambasted as too fat for the beach. So why bother paying attention to anyone's rules?

What we should really take away from all of this discussion is that if anyone has an issue with how heavy a person is or how they are dressed it's THEIR issue, not the heavy persons.
    The same goes for all the other issues people want to bitch about. If you don't like the way a person looks or acts, it's your problem not theirs. Really.
    At least that's my 2c. And if someone shares their feelings with me on how they feel about my actions or appearance in a negative way, that's exactly what I tell them.
    Not my problem.

Also... WTF is America's issue with tits.
    Emphasize them! Put them on a pedestal! Nearly fucking worship them...
    But neuter the fuck out of them... push them up, lock them down, smooth them out.
    No nipples, no jiggle!
    Barbie doll equivalents unless in "private" or for sex.
    I do not understand it.

Enculturation against seeing breasts as a natural part of women's bodies is ridiculous.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Enculturation against seeing breasts [at all times] is ridiculous.
    Hear, hear. P.S. fixed that for you. slightly.

What we should really take away from all of this discussion is that if anyone has an issue with how heavy a person is or how they are dressed it's THEIR issue, not the heavy persons.
    Because we care about their health, c'mon. As taxpayers we have a right to be pissed about size 10's and 12's wearing bikinis because they cost us extra money. And you KNOW letting cellulite reside on your ass and thighs is just as bad as SMOKING!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Hear, hear. P.S. fixed that for you. slightly.
    Ohhh... come on now.
    If we didn't keep a little mystery in it we'd be like the equatorial tribes and you fellas wouldn't give two fucks about our boobs because you'd see them all the time 24/7.

You guys actually created the game of hide and seek to please yourselves!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Some of you are not really getting my point.

It's not about what others think or will say, how some jerk will mock an overweight lady wearing bikini on a beach. The main point is health and self awareness. Maybe one day when you (and the rest of us) are denied Medicare, you'll understand.

I know I'm making an ASSumption here, but I'm almost positive that lady has never heard of CrossFit.

And Magnolia, FOR GOD'S SAKE, you do look very healthy, vibrant and in much better shape than that lady.
    Last edited by Graycat; 06-14-2013 at 01:07 PM.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    You guys actually created the game of hide and seek to please yourselves!
    Well who the hell invented neckties? I'd like to strangle that asshole.

Page 53 of 92 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast