Page 5 of 92 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 5

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It was rather "tongue in cheek", I'm not saying guys need to be Arnold. But well, for me, a nice body with muscles is a turn on and a lot of guys are becoming skinny fat (or fat fat). And sorry, I see so many men who are skinny and soft and won't do hard work, especially younger guys. Lean and fit is just fine TYVM, and I have seen many "lean" men that lack bulging muscles that are very attractive.

However, we are "evolving" into a nation of very unfit men (and women). It's not only not attractive (to me), but going to cost us money spent on health care.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Not skinny-jeans-wearing, androgynous hipster douchebags who say the word "gender" when they mean "sex" just because society has pussified them into not knowing the difference.
    LOL, they do pair up nicely with the women in need of a sammich.

Schlep is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    My husband won't lift weights. As he is losing weight, he is just looking soft. Not appealing but I think he is nervous to be a beginner at the gym.
    That's the reason for most guys. Overweight, underweight, and/or just not able to lift that much, they don't want to be laughed at by the giant doing 120lb curls. That's what they think, anyways.

Truth is that 99% of guys lifting who have been doing it for a while either just want to get through their workout and don't really care at all what you're doing, or they're very supportive because everyone starts somewhere. It can be intimidating until you realize that. Unfortunately the 1% (usually teenagers) who are dicks, aka "bros", scare off a lot of guys who lack confidence.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I dunno, just seeing how well men's bodies respond to the heavy lifting, I still keep puzzled why not. It's like, it actually works as advertised for men. It should be so frigging enticing... dunno. Ah, well.

Please, don't start quarreling over who said what and what it actually meant....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeknik View Post
    You said that in a way that makes me think you have some very deep routed insecurities. Unfortunately, therapy is the only cure for that.
    Is that the way your geeky boyfriend likes you to talk to him? Does he ever get to be on top?

Geeknik is offline Member
    Oh, I'm not arguing that men and women shouldn't lift. I lift and my goal is to look as good as some of the crossfitters I see. My husband on the other hand is one of those genetic freaks that is lean and has some natural musculature in his arms & legs without having to lift anything heavier than a computer mouse. Meanwhile, his younger brother spends hours at the gym and his arms are no bigger than my husband's. And yes, he's stronger than me by virtue of being a man even thought I lift and he doesn't. Would I like him to lift to get bigger. Nope. If he wanted to lift to get stronger I'd be completely supportive but he doesn't need to get bigger. Americans just seem to be extremists about everything, whether it be diet, exercise, politics, religion...They go from one extreme to the other of being overweight to having no life outside of the gym and all the mirrors they want to look at themselves in.

Geeknik is offline Member
    P.S. Rich-You're a child.

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    I agree, Magnolia. While I certainly don't think looks are everything, and I readily accept that people are attracted to all types, I have to say I have never been seriously attracted to any overly-slender men. My SO knows the rule- he must outweigh me by at least 30lb. I'm fortunate though that, among all his other great qualities, physical fitness is important to him, and he lifts heavy regularly.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeknik View Post
    P.S. Rich-You're a child.
    Now magnolia and I are both children. How uncouth you must find us. This really steams my monocle!

BTW: I hope that husband of yours mans up and throttles you hard enough to cure your terrible attitude.

Have a nice day!

My husband on the other hand is one of those genetic freaks that is lean and has some natural musculature in his arms & legs without having to lift anything heavier than a computer mouse.
    So your husband is strong and muscular then. He isn't a skinny fat guy in skinny jeans.

Page 5 of 92 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast