Page 48 of 92 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 48

Lockstock is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think he's merely pointing out that if you FAT it's not something to be proud off, and as we discussed earlier, apparently FAT is 'biologically undesirable' or some $hit.
    It isn't so much that someone is overweight and wears revealing clothing that's the problem, but the attitude that "its who you are" and "it's what a real women should look like" when it's NOT. It's unhealthy and unattractive most of the time. But because they've given up on losing weight they fall back to pretending their proud of themselves...and that's the problem.

I think that's what he's getting at. NOT, YOU SHOULD LOOK LIKE A COVER MODEL. It's You should look healthy.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Magnolia, you rock. And damn you are strong!

Lockstock, you just don't get it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    but the attitude that "its who you are" and "it's what a real women should look like" when it's NOT
    Darling, I look like the fat woman in a bikini. I'm not quite sure what else I should do. I've eaten primal for damn near 18 months and kept track of calories most of that time. I've done Crossfit for about 8 weeks. I do it 5 times a week and I pretty much keep up without a lot of modifications because before I started going I did a HIIT class and ran and did body weight stuff. I also pull this off without a whole lot of aches and pains. My body has survived a marathon training and a hell of a lot of torturous dieting. It survived stupid beach body shit. I'm close to 40. I take no pills, I have no disease. I have no ongoing aches and pains. I spring up in the morning ready to roll and come home reenergized after a hard work out.

I have a healthy fucking body that happens to have some excess fat on it in places we don't like it to be. I'm fucking proud of my body despite the fat. I can throw a pic of me up in a bikini and you can vomit when you see the cellulite on my thighs and whatever. But my body is not unhealthy and I'm not going to apologize for being proud of a healthy strong body that also has some areas with less than attractive fat and flab.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    We women just would like to be able to go out in public with the bodies we have and not be under constant pressure to find flaw and receive unwanted, unasked for criticism and advice.

We already self-limit the things we do so as not to be a target of criticism. I did not even own a bathing suit until last year and so far I've worn it a grand total of once. I hadn't owned one for about a decade. I swam in shorts and a tank top.

It is not fair that men can walk around with giant guts blubbering all over the place and think nothing of it. It's also a bit of a double-standard that the Rippetoe worshippers all believe a man needs to be at minimum 200lbs to be considered a healthy strong man. A healthy strong man is naturally about 25-50lbs less than that. A lot of these 200+ pounders are whales but you'll never see anyone threatening to push them back into the water at the beach.

A woman should not be required to look like an elite fitness model with abs and shit in order to be allowed to go about her business unmolested. Heck, even looking like that sets you up for a whole new level of public molestation to deal with.

Being a woman makes you a public object. Your body is not your own, it's out there for everyone to judge and touch and tell you where can go and what it can do. It gets really annoying from the moment it first happens. I'll bet most women remember that moment when everything changed and their body became not their own anymore. I certainly do.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    This is why it is important to realize that one's opinion of you only matters if you need something from that person. If they have nothing that you need then their opinion of you means nothing.

That means that spectators at the beach can think whatever they want, it doesn't affect you. Fuck 'em.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
    This is why it is important to realize that one's opinion of you only matters if you need something from that person. If they have nothing that you need then their opinion of you means nothing.

That means that spectators at the beach can think whatever they want, it doesn't affect you. Fuck 'em.
    +1

And to put it in another way nobody can make you feel anything. They can't make you feel bad with criticism or feel good with complements. You have the power to allow their comments to have that effect or not. Don't give others that power over you.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
    100% this. women spend way too much time inside of their own heads. too much time reading magazines in the checkout line, and too much time giving a shit about the celebrities on the red carpet. in general, men aren't nearly as critical of womens' bodies as women are of themselves. and if you are confident, comfortable, etc in your own skin, then just be yourself. the things that other people think only matter if you let them. and I sincerely doubt anyone is running around on the beach looking at the girl who is 30lbs over her ideal weight, and calling her names while kicking sand in her face. not owning a swimsuit because you were a few pounds heavier than you'd like to be, or because your boobs aren't as big as your friends, etc, is utter bullshit. in the grand scheme of things, nobody cares. in life, someone is always going to be bigger, stronger, faster, smarter, better looking, skinnier, more muscular, more whatever than you are. be yourself. be the best you that you can be.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    someone is always going to be bigger, stronger, faster, smarter, better looking, skinnier, more muscular, more whatever than you
    You're talking about me, right?

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Out of curiosity, where do you people live that you get public ridicule for having extra fluff? I've never seen or heard anyone making fun of someone in public about their weight. Well, at least after I graduated from middle school.

Page 48 of 92 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast