Page 39 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 39

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Some of us women never were attractive to begin with. I'm still surprised to this day anybody thinks I'm pretty.
    This is possibly the most depressing quote in MDA history.

"Attraction" is subjective. There is what the media tells you is attractive, and then there is real attraction. Real attraction varies wildly from person to person and cannot be defined. You can't define a feeling with words - feelings are intangible. Why do women today almost unanimously hate themselves? Or was it always this way? I don't understand it. A person's body is the greatest gift they'll ever receive. Wouldn't you want to cherish and take care of your greatest possession? Wouldn't you love your greatest possession? The funny thing is, the women put up on a pedestal by the media are often the most sensitive and insecure of them all.

"Why do nice people choose the wrong people to date?"
    "We accept the love we think we deserve."
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-11-2013 at 09:36 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post

"Attraction" is subjective. There is what the media tells you is attractive, and then there is real attraction. Real attraction varies wildly from person to person and cannot be defined. You can't define a feeling with words - feelings are intangible. Why do women today almost unanimously hate themselves? Or was it always this way? I don't understand it. A person's body is the greatest gift they'll ever receive. Wouldn't you want to cherish and take care of your greatest possession? Wouldn't you love your greatest possession? The funny thing is, the women put up on a pedestal by the media are often the most sensitive and insecure of them all.
    Amazing response. We should wear this on t-shirts.
    <3
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
    What I've learned from this thread:

1. Men who do not lift are pussies.
    And some who do are too hehe!

You guys don't know anything about pussies until you see a gym in Seoul.

Wow, a guy deadlifting 2kg dumbbells, a guy doing a weird flopping fish push-up (no way to describe, thought maybe it was a seizure), people walking backwards on the treadmill yapping on their hand-a-pone.

It's a really weird workout culture.

Erik W is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post

"Attraction" is subjective. There is what the media tells you is attractive, and then there is real attraction. Real attraction varies wildly from person to person and cannot be defined. You can't define a feeling with words - feelings are intangible.
    This is what is called a feel-good idea, so naturally some people like it. It tells them they don't have to change anything, they are just fine the way they are, and others are mean and controlled by the media because they don't understand that. (So the sponsors will sell more diet cures or what? Then why doesn't McDonald's sponsor the idea that obesity is gorgeous, if we would be so completely malleable by the media, not by nature?) Always gets a certain audience in help-each-other forums, but those who instinctively see that there is something wrong with it usually don't know how to articulate the answer. Because schools tell people nothing about evolutionary psychology. Therefore people are made to live with permanent guilt for the instincts we have, because we don't understand them and then are told we are evil people for having standards for what we think is attractive. We should appreciate that people are precious snowflakes instead and therefore beautiful even in the shape of a rock.

The reality is that feelings are not some mysterious "intangible" thing, they are biological and exist for a reason, and what we are attracted to is universal, because we all live with the same laws of nature. Those laws determine what works and what doesn't. We consider that which signals that a woman will produce good offspring to be attractive. And that she is healthy enough and young enough to take care of said offspring. Smooth skin shows youth and health, which means she is more fertile, and has more energy for bringing up children. Big eyes also signal youth - when we are kids, the eyes look bigger in proportion to the face. A small nose signals youth, as the nose keeps growing with age, and so a big nose reminds us of old age, which is less healthy and fertile. Same with ears, which never stop growing. An elongated face is also a sign of old age as the face grows longer with age, which is why wide cheekbones in proportion to the chin look attractive, as they make the face seem less long. All these things in certain proportions; a too-small nose would not look youthful as much as unnatural.

A certain hip-to-chest ratio in men signals strength and is therefore attractive to a woman, and an athletic body fills the same function. In men it is not only about youth and fertility but about the strength to hunt and fight. A certain hip-to-waist ratio in women is instinctively considered attractive because it happens to be the best ratio for giving birth. Firm breasts and buttocks signal youth, as do clean teeth, fresh breath, a straight back, a youthful voice, healthy nails, and long, thick, lush hair. Hair becomes more fragile with old age and disease, and can only be long and full when it is healthy. When people talk about "we are all attracted to different things" they will pull out something like hair color, forgetting much bigger points such as that people everywhere are attracted to hair that signals health.
    Last edited by Erik W; 06-12-2013 at 07:14 AM.

Erik W is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Some of us women never were attractive to begin with. I'm still surprised to this day anybody thinks I'm pretty.
    Ye are ugly? Well then, my brethren, take the sublime about you, the mantle of the ugly!
    -Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Lockstock is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W View Post
    This is what is called a feel-good response, so naturally people like it. It tells them they don't have to change anything, they are just fine the way they are, and others are mean and controlled by the media because they don't understand that.

The reality is that (1) feelings are not some mysterious "intangible" thing, they are biological and exist for a reason, and (2) what we are attracted to is universal, because we all live with the same laws of nature. Those laws determine what works and what doesn't. We consider that which signals that a woman will produce good offspring to be attractive. And that she is healthy enough and young enough to take care of said offspring. Smooth skin shows youth and health, which means she is more fertile, and has more energy for bringing up children. Big eyes also signal youth - when we are kids, the eyes look bigger in proportion to the face. A small nose signals youth, as the nose never stops growing, and so big noses remind us of old people. Same with ears, which never stop growing. An elongated face is also a sign of old age as the face grows longer with age, which is why wide cheekbones in proportion to the chin look attractive, as they make the face seem less long. A certain hip-to-waist ratio is instinctively considered attractive because it happens to be the best ratio for giving birth. Firm breasts and buttocks signal youth, as do clean teeth, fresh breath, a straight back, a youthful voice, healthy nails, and long, thick, lush hair. Hair becomes more fragile with old age and disease, and therefore needs to be kept shorter. When people talk about "we are all attracted to different things" they will pull out something like hair color, forgetting the bigger issue that we all are attracted to hair that signals health.

Way to destroy someone's confidence fuc*wit

I refuse to believe that everything I am, Everything I think, feel, desire, fear is all just down to 'well, we evolved that way blah blah'
    I'm so sick of everything being compared to back in Groks day. I feel that after thousands of years of evolution we have evolved past basic instinct.

Honestly, I think most of what you say is just utter crap. Sure, a youthful appearance may signal certain evolutionary signals, but the friggen size of someone's nose and ears? give me a break.

Clean teeth, fresh breath? My grandma could easily have clean teeth and fresh breath if she practised proper dental hygiene.

My girlfriend has a 'slightly large nose' I personally do not notice this, and I think she's gorgeous.

"It tells them they don't have to change anything"
    So what, 'unattractive people' should go get plastic surgery to be more evolutionary acceptable?

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    This is what is called a feel-good response, so naturally people like it. It tells them they don't have to change anything, they are just fine the way they are, and others are mean and controlled by the media because they don't understand that.
    The thing is, that young effortless beauty is fleeting. Then you are stuck.

I am in a fairly unique position of being more attractive at 39 than I was at 20. (At 20, I was 300lbs with glasses, size 26). I have a better body than I did at 16. And the bottom line, people are so much nicer to me now, in particular, men. Most strikingly my own husband. I don't have to be "nice" and "compliant" anymore. I can be more demanding and more of a bitch.

We can say "we are all attractive", but really the number of people that find size 26 attractive is small. And frankly at 5'6 and 300lbs that's a deformed looking body by anyones standard and not recognizable as a feminine form. And, well, how many women see 300 lb men and want to "mate" with them without the added allure of money.

That said, so many women insecure about their appearance that don't have bodies like that. SBHikes, you call yourself unattractive. But then your before photo is of a woman in manish clothes. If you go ahead and hide your femininity under frumpy clothes then you are just hiding your attractiveness. I could put you in a dress and probably get just about any man to say "whoa, hot".

I think a lot of women actually want to hide their attractiveness, for a lot of reasons. Mostly unwanted attention. When I was 300lbs, no one ever hit on me. At 172.... on Saturday I was hit on twice. In work meetings now "I love working with pretty women" when the old praise was "Thanks, that's a great analysis".

My other thought, once we pass the age of having kids, our needs change. I know a lot of men that keep wanting the youthful girl and they can have that until the money runs out, then they are alone. My husband has a friend who is SUPER critical of me. He has told my husband to dump me for a "younger model". He is in his 50's and only dates below 25 because they are young and hot. He always had the money to have them too. Until he got brain cancer. Now he is alone. Once you can't provide, you lose your appeal to the young ones. Better to have nourished an ongoing relationship with a woman who aged and has a strong bond if you want a partner later in life.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    Way to destroy someone's confidence fuc*wit

I refuse to believe that everything I am, Everything I think, feel, desire, fear is all just down to 'well, we evolved that way blah blah'
    I'm so sick of everything being compared to back in Groks day. I feel that after thousands of years of evolution we have evolved past basic instinct.
    Methinks you never got a good basic introduction to Natural Selection. I recommend The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins

Honestly, I think most of what you say is just utter crap. Sure, a youthful appearance may signal certain evolutionary signals, but the friggen size of someone's nose and ears? give me a break.
    And what about the peacock's tail?

Clean teeth, fresh breath? My grandma could easily have clean teeth and fresh breath if she practised proper dental hygiene.
    What year was Listerine invented? How many generations have we evolved under conditions where there was general access to Colgate toothpaste? You're missing the point.

My girlfriend has a 'slightly large nose' I personally do not notice this, and I think she's gorgeous.
    You should try not to take general facts personally. It clouds your judgment.

"It tells them they don't have to change anything"
    So what, 'unattractive people' should go get plastic surgery to be more evolutionary acceptable?
    I think he meant this with regard to the lifestyle factors that one does have control over, not your girlfriend's monster proboscis.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    proboscis.
    another one of my favorite words. hahaha...snatch

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Speaking of nice snatches, I submit the following:
    Mikhail Koklyaev snatch 419 lb /

Page 39 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast