Page 36 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 36

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    totalitarian agriculture
    Yeah. Our kind of agriculture.

Anyway, some (slightly more serious, hopefully final) thoughts on the original question of why men don't lift weights:

1. Most people (both sexes) would indeed benefit from some weight training. The majority of people who think an injury precludes them are misguided and confused about the body's ability to adapt to stimulus and inability to adapt in the absence of a stimulus. In other words, for most people under the impression that they can't squat and deadlift due to injury, squatting and deadlifting are their best or only hope of healing. Lifting won't turn your bones to dust. Not lifting will.

2. It's damningly hard for most people to get strong without lifting weights. Saying that Al Kavadlo is proof that bodyweight exercises make people strong is akin to saying the guy on the 8-minute abs infomercial proves it will work for you. If you love movnat, CrossFit, or bodyweight exercises, you can attempt to program them so as to promote strength (and, if you're a novice, riding a bicycle will make your bench press numbers go up), but they quite simply cannot do the job that the barbell can. And that job is to make you strong.

3. We live in a society in which strength is undervalued. Strength is incredibly useful on a day to day basis, as well as in emergency and crisis situations. Strength underlies all the other parameters of fitness. Strength training with barbells, in the words of Dr. Jonathon Sullivan, is Big Medicine.

4. Everybody should read this article, and all women should read both of these.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    They've eventually always got to include that picture, the unobtainable image of a woman that lifts.

Otherwise they're all nice articles.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    They've eventually always got to include that picture, the unobtainable image of a woman that lifts.
    I agree one one level, but I think that strength training gets more consistently good results then other options. The place I go now that is a mix of Crossfit and strength training, ALL of the women who have been going for 12 months plus have well above average bodies. They may not be uber cut, but that have muscle and "attractive" amounts of fat as well as consistently flat stomachs and good shapes.

That's pretty good odds versus other programs I have tried and seen. I'd say 50% of my Galloway running group was obese when we started and obese when we ended. Granted, it was only a 6 month group, but I saw little to none improvement in appearance. The HIIT class was similar- most people seemed to never look any better over 6 months and the ones who looked good were already athletes in other arenas.

So while I realize I probably won't look like the women in the blog, within two months, I have seen fat loss/inch loss through my core and legs, more muscle in my shoulders and back, firmer behind, my arms are getting smaller, less fat (though excess skin makes flab an issue) and a reduction in leg cellulite. In short, with LESS work, my body is making bigger changes than running, P90X, HIIT classes, Insanity etc. ever did without any significant change in diet.

The changes I'm getting through the weight training are the ones we generally want- flab reduction and overall tightening plus "shaping" where your ass and shoulders work together to make your waist look smaller. I feel like I am overall building more "structure" to my body.

So no, I'm never gonna look like Miss Tight 6 Pack, but I can look far better than shapeless flab and it seems to be a fairly consistent result. One of the best things is the number of women in the classes that are OLDER (post kids, over 40) and look very tight.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You should post your before & after photos. They're convincing from where I stand. And you only started what, 6 months to a year ago? I don't think the pictures are unobtainable for a lot of people.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Nice post Rich and the articles were worth reading, if only there were more trainers like Alexandre Cortez.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    so none of this exists without agriculture? are you truly saying that? I suppose that based upon your narrow-minded definition of civilization, you are right.

Yes, I am truly saying that - all human civilizations are rooted and founded by agriculture - that was my statement that you called "blatantly false" when you first responded to my original posting. So like it or not; "Civilizations depends on agriculture", to quote the NGE article, but mind you, I do not necessarily say that civilizations are a good thing here - that's a completely different issue...

And, it's not a "narrow-minded definition of civilization" that I have pulled out of my butt either, the term "civilization" have a specific meaning even if there can be some disagrement how to exactly define it - but there are no disagrement to my knowlegde that hunter-gatherer societies, Inuits etc., fall outside the concept of 'civilization'. But good to see that you at least have some honesty to admit that you were wrong though...

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Yes, I am truly saying that - all human civilizations are rooted and founded by agriculture - that was my statement that you called "blatantly false" when you first responded to my original posting. So like it or not; "Civilizations depends on agriculture", to quote the NGE article, but mind you, I do not necessarily say that civilizations are a good thing here - that's a completely different issue...

And, it's not a "narrow-minded definition of civilization" that I have pulled out of my butt either, the term "civilization" have a specific meaning even if there can be some disagrement how to exactly define it - but there are no disagrement to my knowlegde that hunter-gatherer societies, Inuits etc., fall outside the concept of 'civilization'. But good to see that you at least have some honesty to admit that you were wrong though...
    not sure how you gleaned that from what I wrote. i'm still calling you out on being wrong dude. the end of my post was sarcasm. clearly lost somewhere in translation. allow me to clarify. the populations I mentioned DO have (1) large population centers; (2) monumental architecture and unique art styles; (3) written language; (4) systems for administering territories; (5) a complex division of labor; and (6) the division of people into social classes.

so based upon the link you provided earlier, they would be defined as civilizations
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    This is how I would define civilization. note, the complete and utter lack of agricultural requirement.

Merriam Webster definition:
    Definition of CIVILIZATION

1a : a relatively high level of cultural and technological development; specifically : the stage of cultural development at which writing and the keeping of written records is attained

b : the culture characteristic of a particular time or place

2: the process of becoming civilized

3a : refinement of thought, manners, or taste

b : a situation of urban comfort

Dictionary.com definition:

civˇiˇliˇzaˇtion

noun
    1. an advanced state of human society, in which a high level of culture, science, industry, and government has been reached.

2.those people or nations that have reached such a state.

3. any type of culture, society, etc., of a specific place, time, or group: Greek civilization.

4. the act or process of civilizing or being civilized: Rome's civilization of barbaric tribes was admirable.

5. cultural refinement; refinement of thought and cultural appreciation: The letters of Madame de Sévigné reveal her wit and civilization.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Alright, not on the rug, continue with your trolling and intellectual dishonesty without me hereafter, because you have now earned yourself a very deserved place on my ignore list…

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Alright, not on the rug, continue with your trolling and intellectual dishonesty without me hereafter, because you have now earned yourself a very deserved place on my ignore list…
    What a surprise. Gorbag starts a semantics argument, gets butthurt, adds to his already well-populated ignore list.

Page 36 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast