Page 34 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 34

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky
    What's disgusting is saying weakness is a-okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Here's the thing. I'm about 6'2, 210 lb. I think of myself as strong. I can life all of my three children off the ground at the same time, and do pushups with either of the two youngers ones sitting on my shoulders.

But I don't lift weights. I don't go to the gym. Most of the 'pro lifting' arguements in this thread fly right by me, since they all seem to be targetted at straw men.

Am I saying it's great to be weak? no
    Could I lift a person out of a burning house? yes
    Can I climb up trees that are taller than our house? yes

Do I want to bulk up with what I consider to be vanity muscles? no
    Do I need to stare at myself lovingly in a full length mirror? no

So I don't see a compelling reason for me to lift weights.
    I am not sure what my quote has to do with what you're saying.
    Last edited by quikky; 06-03-2013 at 03:55 PM.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Maybe you should google what a "civilization" means, or better take a peep in some antrophology 101 textbooks?
    Ok wiseass...you define it for me. I see the games you play with people on this forum and quite frankly I dont have time for people like you. If you dont include the people I mentioned as being part of civilization according to the way the dictionary defines it, then that's your problem, not mine
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    I am not sure what my quote has to do with what you're saying.
    This is a thread asking "why men won't lift weights?", with the implication being that there's something wrong with not lifting weights.

Your post read to me as this sequence/subtext: not lifting weights -> being weak -> rationalising that weakness is ok -> disgusting. Which I strongly disagree with.

Maybe I misunderstood your post. What were you trying to say, within the context of this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    Ok wiseass...you define it for me. I see the games you play with people on this forum and quite frankly I dont have time for people like you. If you dont include the people I mentioned as being part of civilization according to the way the dictionary defines it, then that's your problem, not mine
    If you think he's a waste of time, just set him on ignore and move on. There are enough slapfights on here already ....
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

This is a thread asking "why men won't lift weights?", with the implication being that there's something wrong with not lifting weights.

Your post read to me as this sequence/subtext: not lifting weights -> being weak -> rationalising that weakness is ok -> disgusting. Which I strongly disagree with.
    My post did not say lifting weights. I was talking about strength in men, not lifting weights explicitly.

Maybe I misunderstood your post. What were you trying to say, within the context of this thread?
    I am not sure what you're asking of me. Was my original post, the one you quoted from, unclear?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    This whole thread is about men lifting weights (or not). That is the context for every post in this thread.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

This whole thread is about men lifting weights (or not). That is the context for every post in this thread.
    No, it is not. The original post was about just that, but, like all discussions, it has evolved a bit past that, into a more general conversation about the modern man, weakness, and skinny jeans.

canuck416 is online now Senior Member
    I actually think that MovNat is an exciting training development that tracks closely with our ancestral approach to living -
    combines strength, functional fitness, balance, flexibility, power and endurance.

Get primal: Work out like a cave man (or woman) - TODAY.com

The Workout The World Forgot | By MovNat - YouTube

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    Well, I have not time for ignorant people that don't know even the basic meaning of "civilization" either, but I do an exception for this time only! In my original posting that you responded to I wrote; "So far there has never been a human civilization that is not rooted in agriculture (...)” And you responded; “patently false” and then I asked you to “name ONE” and you responded “Aside from the still-in-existence hunter-gatherer societies or the inuit?”

So, when became “hunter-gatherer societies” and “Inuits” “civilizations” I must ask? From Wikipedia: “All civilizations have depended on agriculture for subsistence. Growing food on farms results in a surplus of food, particularly when people use intensive agricultural techniques such as irrigation and crop rotation.”

Get some basic knowledge on what “civilization" means before starting an ignorant and stupid discussion, you can start here:

Civilization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Well, I have not time for ignorant people that don't know even the basic meaning of "civilization" either, but I do an exception for this time only! In my original posting that you responded to I wrote; "So far there has never been a human civilization that is not rooted in agriculture (...)” And you responded; “patently false” and then I asked you to “name ONE” and you responded “Aside from the still-in-existence hunter-gatherer societies or the inuit?”

So, when became “hunter-gatherer societies” and “Inuits” “civilizations” I must ask? From Wikipedia: “All civilizations have depended on agriculture for subsistence. Growing food on farms results in a surplus of food, particularly when people use intensive agricultural techniques such as irrigation and crop rotation.”

Get some basic knowledge on what “civilization" means before starting an ignorant and stupid discussion, you can start here:

Civilization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Wikipedia is for idiots. And anyone can edit it. Try a dictionary. Humans have existed on this planet for 2 million years. And they sure as shit weren't farming. Time and time again you prove yourself to be not even remotely as intelligent as you think you are. I feel badly for you. Look around here. You butt heads with pretty much every single member on every single topic. The common denominator is you.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Page 34 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast