Page 32 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 32

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Give the lady a gold star.

Ishmael.org
    ding ding ding... we have a winner!
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 70in2012 View Post
    If Brian Jones can get under the bar, the guy walking on the treadmill can sure do. Probably will get far more benefit.
    You have no idea what limitations someone has. Just because one person can overcome an injury and get under the bar does NOT mean everyone can. Global assumptions like yours are not only beyond annoying, they show a lack of awareness for individual differences and abilities.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    You have no idea what limitations someone has. Just because one person can overcome an injury and get under the bar does NOT mean everyone can. Global assumptions like yours are not only beyond annoying, they show a lack of awareness for individual differences and abilities.
    Your post shows a lack of reading comprehension and common sense. It's not hard to realize that when others say "everyone should strength train", it means everyone capable of doing so. It's painfully obvious, or at least should be, that someone, for example, paralyzed from the waist down should probably not do barbell squats.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    In individual cases, that is no doubt true. In the aggregate, there are many more people, both female and male, who are not exercising for poorly-thought-out reasons than those who are doing the best they can with the situation they are stuck with.

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    Columbus did not force agriculture on anyone - agriculture was well established in the America's before Columbus arrived.

Think Corn, Potatoes, Quinoa, Amaranth, Tomatoes, Chocolat etc etc - all gifts to the old world from the 'New World"

The Irish didn't eat potatoes and the Italians didn't eat Tomatoes until they were brought back from the new world. So some agricultural and food traditions in Europe are not that old.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twa2w View Post
    Columbus did not force agriculture on anyone - agriculture was well established in the America's before Columbus arrived.

Think Corn, Potatoes, Quinoa, Amaranth, Tomatoes, Chocolat etc etc - all gifts to the old world from the 'New World"

The Irish didn't eat potatoes and the Italians didn't eat Tomatoes until they were brought back from the new world. So some agricultural and food traditions in Europe are not that old.
    You're right. Different forms of agriculture cropped up in several places we know about and probably more than as many other places we don't know about. Of course it was a different style of agriculture than the one we practice.

What arrived here with Columbus was the idea that there was one and only one right way for people to live (he and his contemporaries basically saw the natives as subhuman life forms who didn't know how to bend the earth to their will the way the enlightened ones did in Europe), and the desire to put all the land to the plow and therefore turn all available biomass into human mass.

By the time Columbus lived, people of his culture had no idea that they had once lived like the people they found in the far corners of the world. The Great Forgetting was old by Columbus's time. Couple that with the concept of putting the food under lock and key and forcing people to get it back, and the self-appointment of the Totalitarian Agriculturists as the world's cultural missionaries and you get

We're way off topic here. Bottom line is the Abels of the world didn't want to take up agriculture. That's why the Cains had to water their field with the blood of his own brother. The fairy tale we grow up hearing, that 10,000 years ago, people the world over put down their spears and picked up plows is just that. A fairy tale.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twa2w View Post

Indeed, and the Inka civilisation was in many ways ahead of the Europeans on agriculture at the end of the 15 century! So far there has never been a human civilsation that is not rooted in agriculture, whether that's a good or a bad thing is another issue....

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You're right. Different forms of agriculture cropped up in several places we know about and probably more than as many other places we don't know about. Of course it was a different style of agriculture than the one we practice.

What arrived here with Columbus was the idea that there was one and only one right way for people to live (he and his contemporaries basically saw the natives as subhuman life forms who didn't know how to bend the earth to their will the way the enlightened ones did in Europe), and the desire to put all the land to the plow and therefore turn all available biomass into human mass.

By the time Columbus lived, people of his culture had no idea that they had once lived like the people they found in the far corners of the world. The Great Forgetting was old by Columbus's time. Couple that with the concept of putting the food under lock and key and forcing people to get it back, and the self-appointment of the Totalitarian Agriculturists as the world's cultural missionaries and you get

We're way off topic here. Bottom line is the Abels of the world didn't want to take up agriculture. That's why the Cains had to water their field with the blood of his own brother. The fairy tale we grow up hearing, that 10,000 years ago, people the world over put down their spears and picked up plows is just that. A fairy tale.
    Sometimes you make a lot of sense, other times not so much.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    So far there has never been a human civilsation that is not rooted in agriculture
    patently false
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    patently false
    Name ONE...

Page 32 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast