Page 31 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 31

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    answers above in bold
    But only weight training would have made it possible for Brian Jones to shed his hardware and become a strong man again. It was the spinal loading and the CNS effects of lifting that caused his bones to harden and reject the hardware the surgeons told him he'd have in his legs for the rest of his life. No other physical activities would have had these effects.

I'm not saying everyone has to lift weights. (although I think most people would benefit from doing so), I'm saying we need to stop glorifying weakness. I don't know you personally, but from what I've seen in these forums, you're not a person who promotes weakness in any sense of the word.

And that's what this thread is about. Men don't lift weights today because they are actively pursuing weakness, androgyny, hipsterism, and skinny jeans. As so many have made clear in this thread, if you have any muscle on your body, it's assumed you're uncouth, unintelligent, and uncivilized. Well, in case I haven't made it clear, I'm against that. We can all strive to do better things for ourselves mentally, emotionally, and physically. And that includes keeping our minds occupied and challenged, eating appropriate foods, getting appropriate sun and sleep, and performing appropriate load-bearing exercise to strengthen our muscles, bones, connective tissue, AND brains.

Primalsaber is offline Member
    Why don't we all just.... abandon thread

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    My man isn't lifting because he wants hipster skinny jeans. He's an old man, gray hair, gray beard, not a hipster at all. I don't know why he doesn't lift. I think it would help him feel better and help his back. And when I say lift, I don't mean he needs to build huge muscles to please me or that he needs to deadlift 500lbs to be a real man. Even if he lifted more modest amounts I think it would make him feel better and help him out with all his activities, like it has for me. I'm not going for body building competitions, although I like the bigger muscles I've developed, and I have no illusions I'll ever deadlift even 300lbs, but what I can do has made a big difference. It really does help.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    "Men don't lift weights today because they are actively pursuing weakness, androgyny, hipsterism, and skinny jeans. As so many have made clear in this thread, if you have any muscle on your body, it's assumed you're uncouth, unintelligent, and uncivilized. "

I don't think that is 100% true. I think what has happened is more a general "it's OK to not be fit". Mostly people have become couch potatoes and it's a bunch of either skinny fat or fat people. I think people are OK with working out, it's that people are no longer motivated to be fit as you can be.

More than anything we are a nation of excuse makers. It's amazing to hear the reasons people can't work out. I know there are some legitimate reasons. I'd be afraid to squat if I had back surgery too. But hey, doesn't stop your from doing pull ups. I don't know, I just see all my peers and they are aging so very quickly and settling into such unhealthy lives.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    "Men don't lift weights today because they are actively pursuing weakness, androgyny, hipsterism, and skinny jeans. As so many have made clear in this thread, if you have any muscle on your body, it's assumed you're uncouth, unintelligent, and uncivilized."

I don't think that is 100% true. I think what has happened is more a general "it's OK to not be fit". Mostly people have become couch potatoes and it's a bunch of either skinny fat or fat people. I think people are OK with working out, it's that people are no longer motivated to be fit as you can be.
    Maybe it makes sense to distinguish between men who actively pursue frailty and weakness (e.g. Derpamix) and those who are too lazy/ignorant of the benefits/afraid to weight train (e.g. Mr. Sbhikes). To me, it's making the same choice, and it's not one that I will ever be in favor of. I don't agree with the choice to forego the benefits of lifting heavy things. If it's truly not a choice, you're off the hook, but 99% of people who claim they can't lift would actually benefit from doing so. Dear previously injured people: Weight training will make you less likely to turn into a bag of dust, not more.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    More than anything we are a nation of excuse makers. It's amazing to hear the reasons people can't work out. I know there are some legitimate reasons. I'd be afraid to squat if I had back surgery too. But hey, doesn't stop your from doing pull ups. I don't know, I just see all my peers and they are aging so very quickly and settling into such unhealthy lives.
    Correctly performed squats and deadlifts are actually therapeutic for people with back problems. So ignorance keeps a lot of people out of the weight room. But you're right about the excuses. It's truly pathetic.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I'm by no means a big guy, but my shoulders and lats are much wider than my waist. Clothes have to be "athletic fit" to even be in the ballpark, and all my nice stuff gets tailored. I HATE how most shirts have the same amount of material around the middle as a 4-person tent.

Sent via A-10 Warthog
    It is very difficult to get clothes to fit. Shirts are difficult but so are pants, if the waist fits and legs are way too tight.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Lockstock is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Really? You know the answer to this. Where did "our" civilization begin? Pick up your high school history book. It's under "Chapter 1"
    Huh? Thats not even what I implied. I said that our ancestors clearly thought agriculrure was useful. And he said Christopher Columbus forced it uponthem or some sh!&
    My reply was then who forced it on columbus? My point still stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    Huh? Thats not even what I implied. I said that our ancestors clearly thought agriculrure was useful. And he said Christopher Columbus forced it uponthem or some sh!&
    My reply was then who forced it on columbus? My point still stands.
    Your point never stood. Columbus himself was born into it, but the people living in Columbus's part of the world didn't take up our brand of agriculture by choice, they took it up by force. One group in the fertile crescent took it up by choice (the choice of whoever had control of the food, anyway) and appointed themselves the world's cultural missionaries. The actions of the post-columbian visitors to the Americas were just another chapter in the story that started between the Tigirs and the Euphrates, in chapter 1 of your high school history text book.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    The story of agriculture is sort of right there in the book of Genesis, too. The Garden of Eden sounded a lot better than the agrarian life of toil and pain they were banished into. Funny how our Western history has a subtext of always knowing our way of life isn't the best way of life and yet we fight, kill and die for it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The story of agriculture is sort of right there in the book of Genesis, too. The Garden of Eden sounded a lot better than the agrarian life of toil and pain they were banished into. Funny how our Western history has a subtext of always knowing our way of life isn't the best way of life and yet we fight, kill and die for it.
    Give the lady a gold star.

Ishmael.org

Page 31 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast