Page 30 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 30

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeknik View Post
    I married what I'm attracted to, a man that is intelligent, lean, attractive, well-dressed and kind
    Quote Originally Posted by AppalachianMatt View Post
    Its not a list of excuses its called overcoming a horrific injury to the back you jacka$$.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalHunter View Post
    As to why more men don't lift weights, I guess the biggest reason is that it's just not their thing. Just like many guys don't care about being rich, or having kids, or spelunking, or running for political office, many guys just don't care about the iron game.
    And if you question any of it, you're a pussy.
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    wow, a thread rife with all sorts of gender shaming.
    reality is, people have different interests regardless of gender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    Wow this thread is both amusing and horrifying.
    Saying men should/shouldn't be something...? I get angry at that just as much as I'd get angry at someone saying that a woman should provide her man with a hot meal when he gets home from work. Or that a real woman should have curves.
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    This thread is ridiculous. Jeeze louise - Lift if you want to, don't if you don't. I'll take being down-to-earth over brains or brawn, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Lifting weights isn't for everyone, and it doesn't suit some people. People who find it boring shouldn't force themselves to do it. There's an appropriate form of physical activity for everyone: it doesn't have to be lifting.
    Wow. What a trainwreck thread.

I see weight lifting from the perspective of someone who used to do a lot of it (competition body building back in the day) to someone who now hasn't set foot in a gym in ages and likes it that way just fine.

So, to all the guys (and gals) sitting there smugly ridiculing the guy who is doing some workouts on the treadmill instead of pumping some iron, get over yourselves. You don't know what that person's situation is. He may have a back injury or other physical disability that keeps him from "getting under the bar" (love all the testosterone pumped up phraseology). Or perhaps weight lifting may just not be his thing. He may have been a body builder back in the day but now finds it boring.

Or, get this, it may not be any of your business what someone else does or doesn't do for a workout.

In any case, I think we can all agree that physical fitness is an important thing for all humans regardless of gender. There are many ways to that goal however. My SO and I are both lean and fit and can do what needs doing in terms of lifting a canoe onto the top of a camper and such and we can and do both climb mountains. Neither one of us lifts weights. Go figure.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Except for having understanding of and empathy for others different from you.
    You are correct, I was referring to an individual's physicality. However the more we understand about ourselves, the more we challenge ourselves and overcome obstacles during the process of becoming stronger, the more empathetic and encouraging we can be to others trying to overcome their personal challenges. . The most empathetic people I have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have great strength and an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. It is the challenges that life presents that enables us to be empathetic.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Paleobird;1210343]My SO and I are both lean and fit and can do what needs doing in terms of lifting a canoe onto the top of a camper and such and we can and do both climb mountains./QUOTE]

So he's made it to being called your SO now PB? Congrats! 😄
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    ... someone who used to do a lot of it (competition body building back in the day) to someone who now hasn't set foot in a gym in ages and likes it that way just fine.

My SO and I are both lean and fit and can do what needs doing in terms of lifting a canoe onto the top of a camper and such and we can and do both climb mountains. Neither one of us lifts weights. Go figure.

May be your competition level lifting contributed to your current fitness?
    Perhaps, countless other non-competition lifters or even non lifters can lift a cnoe onto the top of a camper without a sweat (or injury), if they deadlift once a week.

So, to all the guys (and gals) sitting there smugly ridiculing the guy who is doing some workouts on the treadmill instead of pumping some iron, get over yourselves. You don't know what that person's situation is. He may have a back injury or other physical disability that keeps him from "getting under the bar" (love all the testosterone pumped up phraseology).
    If Brian Jones can get under the bar, the guy walking on the treadmill can sure do. Probably will get far more benefit.
    Few but ripe.

Paleobird Guest
    [QUOTE=Misabi;1210353]
    My SO and I are both lean and fit and can do what needs doing in terms of lifting a canoe onto the top of a camper and such and we can and do both climb mountains./QUOTE]

So he's made it to being called your SO now PB? Congrats! ��
    Yup. Thanks. And we actually did lift a two person canoe onto the top of his camper today after installing the brackets for it. We're going to go on a hiking trip to Zion and Bryce Natl. parks in about a week.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 70in2012 View Post
    May be your competition level lifting contributed to your current fitness? [No because in between I ballooned up to 210 lbs and had cancer]
    Perhaps, countless other non-competition lifters or even non lifters can lift a cnoe onto the top of a camper without a sweat (or injury), if they deadlift once a week. [I haven't deadlifted since my early 20's (now 51)]

If Brian Jones can get under the bar, the guy walking on the treadmill can sure do. Probably will get far more benefit. [Yeah, yeah, I can relate to inspirational stories about people overcoming physical adversity (e.g.cancer and epilepsy). But it still doesn't have to be weight lifting. There is more than one way to the goal of physical fitness. Each person should be allowed to choose his/her own without being called names by a bunch of chest thumping cavemen.]
    answers above in bold

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I saw this and thought of you all...

Adonis Golden Ratio - The Body Your DNA Meant You To Have
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    answers above in bold
    Indeed there is more than one way (some are more effective, some less)and each person in fact is free to choose the way they prefer.

P.S.
    I think strength does not fade away entirely. So even if you ballooned in weight and have not deadlifted for thirty years, you would still reap the benefit of the work you did in your younger days.
    Few but ripe.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    so who forced agriculture on Columbus's ancestors then huh?
    Really? You know the answer to this. Where did "our" civilization begin? Pick up your high school history book. It's under "Chapter 1"

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I'm by no means a big guy, but my shoulders and lats are much wider than my waist. Clothes have to be "athletic fit" to even be in the ballpark, and all my nice stuff gets tailored. I HATE how most shirts have the same amount of material around the middle as a 4-person tent.

Sent via A-10 Warthog
    yeah this totally. and to top it off, I have long arms. so when I buy shirts that fit my chest and arms, the waist is way too large. fortunately for me, I prefer to roll my sleeves up all the time, so I can get away with off the rack shirts with normal length sleeves. but then the waist fits well, and the chest and shoulders are too tight. its a never-ending battle

Page 30 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast