Page 29 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 29

Lockstock is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Alot of maurie (?) and islander tribesmen are pretty chuncky.

I just want to point out that despite the fact our ancestors were lean and more skinny, doesn't mean it was ideal. I mean, most guys can build a lot of muscle with the right environmental factors. Whos to say stuck in survival mode, trudging through the wild hunting your food all day everyday is 'ideal'
    I mean, olhunter gatherers must have thought agriculture was useful! it wasnt forced on them.
    But this got Waaay of topic sorry.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    hunter gatherers must have thought agriculture was useful! it wasnt forced on them.
    I'm sorry, this is a complete and utter lie. An oft repeated one, but patently false. When Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492 (to give a recent and familiar example. A better one would be the semitic herder-gatherers whose blood watered the fields of their agriculturalist conquerors, but I digress), for example, the majority of the planet's inhabitable landmass was full of hunter-gatherers. And to paraphrase Jared Diamond, if it weren't for the Guns, Germs, and Steel of their conquerors, it still would be.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    As a woman, I can do any exercise and not be judged:
    I give you Pracercize-
    The Weirdest Thing on the Internet Tonight: Prancercise
    Even I, with my physical limitations, could master prancercise.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    the tribal dude in the middle looked good til i saw his giant orange testicle hat

i know it's symbolic, but come on. orange? worst penis color ever.
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Over the next 90 minutes, I want to show you that all of your problems can be solved with my penis.

Lockstock is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I'm sorry, this is a complete and utter lie. An oft repeated one, but patently false. When Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492 (to give a recent and familiar example. A better one would be the semitic herder-gatherers whose blood watered the fields of their agriculturalist conquerors, but I digress), for example, the majority of the planet's inhabitable landmass was full of hunter-gatherers. And to paraphrase Jared Diamond, if it weren't for the Guns, Germs, and Steel of their conquerors, it still would be.
    so who forced agriculture on Columbus's ancestors then huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker62 View Post
    I wish this hadn't been the first thread I came across after signing up here yesterday. I was born with a congenital heart defect which prohibits me from lifting anything over fifty pounds, including my own bodyweight. I really want to embrace the paleo/primal lifestyle but after reading some of the posts in this thread it sounds like I'll never be considered anything but a big fat wimp with lots of excuses.
    Please don't let the narrow-minded view that can permeate this forum put you off the benefits of living a primal life. People tend to only see things from their perspective. Able-bodied people have no viewpoint/frame of reference to see how their viewpoint or comments might impact people different from them.

I have lived this lifestyle, my way (and I believe we all have to find our way), for over 3 years. I also am limited by the fact that I have cerebral palsy.. Because of the dismissive tone that can be prevalent here I offer my neurological/MRI findings:
    MRI--" Moderately severe central volume lose of the right hemisphere mid posteriorly,predominately parietal lobe as described. These findings are compatible with chronic, most likely congenital volume loss."

Motor exam/ findings by neurologist--" The patient has noticeable disproportionate size of her left arm compared to her right in that it is smaller looking as if it belongs on a teenager or prepubescent person. There are obvious contractures at the wrist and it is held in a flexed spastic paretic position while walking. The left side shows especially distal upper extremity weakness and in the lower extremity shows mild weakness especially with a foot drop on the left feet. Gait shows a moderately spastic hemiparectic left gait with foot foot drop. Tandem walk could not be done.."

What this says in my real terms is this-- my strength/ ability on my left side, especially in areas farther away from by brain, is severely compromised. I can not, bilaterally, lift ever increasing heavy things. And I will not lift heavier on my good/right side because it would lead to an obvious difference between my left and right sides.

So, my point is this, you can find success by adopting a primal lifestyle that works for you. I am healthier, in the aftermath of applying the primal principals to my best abilities, than I was before I embarked on my journey.

Finally, for all the able-bodied, self-righteous, lifting heavy is the only way, perspectives that seem to permeate this forum I offer the following: You never know the specific circumstances of the people trying to find their way in this lifestyle and on this forum. It would be helpful if your approach was more coached in global possibilities, rather than myopic viewpoints.

We could all benefit from asking for specifics before a global response, that may not be appropriate, is given. I know I would like to learn about possible ways that could improve my abilities.
    Last edited by marcadav; 06-02-2013 at 09:57 PM.

i guess i should be nice and chime in too

slacker, i have permanently broken bones that make life supremely difficult if i were to work out anything other than my arms rather than just rather difficult on a lazy day. i don't take this thread seriously and i hope you stop taking it seriously too

granted i'm a girl, but i like to think if i were a guy my penis would be big enough i wouldn't take it seriously then either
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Over the next 90 minutes, I want to show you that all of your problems can be solved with my penis.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Maori are quite robust people.

I think it's because of the environment. it's cold here, and they mostly dressed themselves in flax and feathers (largely cloaks). Most Maori live on the North Island, which is more temperate than the south -- a bit like northern california and up to Portland. And looking at them pre-colonization, they still had large bone structures and muscles -- they were bigger all around than some of their kin from other islands. They are an amazingly tough people.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Being stronger makes one better at pretty much everything.
    Except for having understanding of and empathy for others different from you.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    unless he be trollin in the deep
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Page 29 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast