Page 27 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 914

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 27

  1. #261
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,540
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    Anyone notice that clothes aren't made for people with good bodies?

    I don't consider myself big yet or anything, but I even notice that shirts, for example, often cause my shoulders to haunch forward, and that some pants are NOT made at all to accommodate developed thighs and glutes.
    Yup - clothes are made for human coat hangers!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  2. #262
    Lockstock's Avatar
    Lockstock is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Yup - clothes are made for human coat hangers!
    There are basically two types of people I see now days, really really skinny emo looking, boyband following, douche bag kids/teens/adults.

    And fat people.

    And clothes are made specifically for them...

  3. #263
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    There are basically two types of people I see now days, really really skinny emo looking, boyband following, douche bag kids/teens/adults.

    And fat people.

    And clothes are made specifically for them...
    Don't forget models!

    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  4. #264
    Mr. Anthony's Avatar
    Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,533
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Yup - clothes are made for human coat hangers!
    I'm by no means a big guy, but my shoulders and lats are much wider than my waist. Clothes have to be "athletic fit" to even be in the ballpark, and all my nice stuff gets tailored. I HATE how most shirts have the same amount of material around the middle as a 4-person tent.

    Sent via A-10 Warthog

  5. #265
    Geeknik's Avatar
    Geeknik is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    71
    I find it amusing that some people in this thread think that being muscular as opposed to lean increases your chances for survival in the absence of modern amenities. The fact of the matter is, if you put hunter-gatherers in western clothing they would look like what the uninformed on this thread label as whimpy hipsters. Muscle burns more calories so in a survival based environment it is far more advantageous to be lean.
    Here are some examples of modern hunter/gatherers:
    Attachment 11924
    http://jeremylent.files.wordpress.co...ng-bushmen.jpg
    http://assets.survivalinternational....l-2_screen.jpg
    Attachment 11925
    Skinny with little musculature yet they are built for survival in harsh environments where they have to hunt/gather their food EVERY day. And you better believe I'd take my chances with those 'sissy-looking, skinny whimps' over any of you out in the wilderness any day. If any of you who are so proud of your six-pack abs were to be placed in an actual Paleo environment where you had to hunt/gather every day then you would lean out to look like those 'hipsters' you so despise because that is what is best suited for survival. This proves the point that even in a 'paleo' environment knowledge/intelligence are more necessary for survival than big calorie burning muscles. Lucky for you, you don't live in those environments so you have the luxury to make fun of those guys for not looking as manly as you while they are living the life you humorously think you're built to survive in.
    Last edited by Geeknik; 06-02-2013 at 05:48 AM.

  6. #266
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I'm by no means a big guy, but my shoulders and lats are much wider than my waist. Clothes have to be "athletic fit" to even be in the ballpark, and all my nice stuff gets tailored. I HATE how most shirts have the same amount of material around the middle as a 4-person tent.
    I agree - oddly, sports clothes seem to be some of the most flattering! There should be a fashion line for "in shape people".

    I have the opposite problem - small waist, small shoulders and curvy hips, so tops are either skin tight or baggy. No comfortable in between.

    I don't think it's as much of a problem for shorter, petite women, but if you're over 5'6 (I'm 5'8) clothes manufacturers expect that you're either a beanpole or a Viking
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  7. #267
    boomingno's Avatar
    boomingno is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeknik View Post
    I find it amusing that some people in this thread think that being muscular as opposed to lean increases your chances for survival in the absence of modern amenities. The fact of the matter is, if you put hunter-gatherers in western clothing they would look like what the uninformed on this thread label as whimpy hipsters. Muscle burns more calories so in a survival based environment it is far more advantageous to be lean.
    Here are some examples of modern hunter/gatherers:
    Attachment 11924
    http://jeremylent.files.wordpress.co...ng-bushmen.jpg
    http://assets.survivalinternational....l-2_screen.jpg
    Attachment 11925
    Skinny with little musculature yet they are built for survival in harsh environments where they have to hunt/gather their food EVERY day. And you better believe I'd take my chances with those 'sissy-looking, skinny whimps' over any of you out in the wilderness any day. If any of you who are so proud of your six-pack abs were to be placed in an actual Paleo environment where you had to hunt/gather every day then you would lean out to look like those 'hipsters' you so despise because that is what is best suited for survival. This proves the point that even in a 'paleo' environment knowledge/intelligence are more necessary for survival than big calorie burning muscles. Lucky for you, you don't live in those environments so you have the luxury to make fun of those guys for not looking as manly as you while they are living the life you humorously think you're built to survive in.
    How Many Calories Does Muscle Really Burn? (and Why It’s Not About Calories Anyway) | Mark's Daily Apple

    u mad?

  8. #268
    Lockstock's Avatar
    Lockstock is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeknik View Post
    I find it amusing that some people in this thread think that being muscular as opposed to lean increases your chances for survival in the absence of modern amenities. The fact of the matter is, if you put hunter-gatherers in western clothing they would look like what the uninformed on this thread label as whimpy hipsters. Muscle burns more calories so in a survival based environment it is far more advantageous to be lean.
    Here are some examples of modern hunter/gatherers:
    Attachment 11924
    http://jeremylent.files.wordpress.co...ng-bushmen.jpg
    http://assets.survivalinternational....l-2_screen.jpg
    Attachment 11925
    Skinny with little musculature yet they are built for survival in harsh environments where they have to hunt/gather their food EVERY day. And you better believe I'd take my chances with those 'sissy-looking, skinny whimps' over any of you out in the wilderness any day. If any of you who are so proud of your six-pack abs were to be placed in an actual Paleo environment where you had to hunt/gather every day then you would lean out to look like those 'hipsters' you so despise because that is what is best suited for survival. This proves the point that even in a 'paleo' environment knowledge/intelligence are more necessary for survival than big calorie burning muscles. Lucky for you, you don't live in those environments so you have the luxury to make fun of those guys for not looking as manly as you while they are living the life you humorously think you're built to survive in.
    The difference is that the hunter gatherers can likely move some serious weight around under a bar, climb obstacles and run awy from danger aswell as having the toughness to stand and fight (other tribes etc).

    The skinny hipster douchebags arent skinny because they need to be to survive. But because of..... "read entire thread"

  9. #269
    Jefferson1775's Avatar
    Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,660
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    Anyone notice that clothes aren't made for people with good bodies?

    I don't consider myself big yet or anything, but I even notice that shirts, for example, often cause my shoulders to haunch forward, and that some pants are NOT made at all to accommodate developed thighs and glutes.
    After I started lifting, I noticed that pants became tighter around my thighs and that shirts became tighter around my shoulders. Progress!
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

    This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

  10. #270
    quikky's Avatar
    quikky is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,109
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Did I say that? No. You made an assertion that everyone would be healthier if they lifted. I said that's not the case. Lifting weights isn't for everyone, and it doesn't suit some people. Not just the bozos: even people who find it boring shouldn't force themselves to do it. There's an appropriate form of physical activity for everyone: it doesn't have to be lifting.

    A lot of people people don't respond well to strenuous exercise. If you're metabolically unhealthy, depressed, in a highly stressed state, a simple activity like walking is far better for you.
    I'm not arguing that strength training is enjoyable for everyone, I'm arguing it's effective and healthy for everyone. By the way, I find it obvious that "everyone" does not literally mean every person in existence, but everyone physically capable of strength training.

    And once again, I have no idea why you're saying it's bad for stress, and even depression - it's the opposite. Whether walking is better, I don't honestly know. Do you have sources that demonstrate walking is better for stress/depression than strength training?

Page 27 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •