Page 26 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 26

Goldust is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    what totally blows my mind is why men won't lift weights
    I think that a better way of phrasing that would have been "why won't some men do any strength training?" Lifting weights, despite what some may think, isn't the be all end all.

I lifted weights for many years, (always found it excruciatingly boring). When I was training/competing in mma I stopped lifting and focused primarily on bodyweight exercises along with the grappling/mma training. After a while my wife asked me if I was still lifting weights anymore, when I told her that I hadn't been for some time, she told me to keep doing whatever it was that I had been up to because she said that I never looked better.

As far as why you often see a lot of skinny, skinny/fat, sloppy fat, etc. guys who won't work out hard and who would rather plod along on a treadmill rather than do any kind of strength training I suspect that they don't know where to start, don't want to work hard, or quite simply just don't care.

The feminization of men in this country in recent years is the thing that I just don't get. When I owned my grappling/mma gym I remember the first time that I started to see some guys coming in who were competently shaved down. Trimming down excessive chest hair with an electric clipper is one thing but these guys obviously took a razor and shaved off everything, arms, legs, even the backs of their hands?! Some of them were pretty hairy too so I can just imagine how much time and effort it must have taken them every week to shave down.

I thought that I had seen it all but then I started to see guys with nail polish on, and not long after that guys with their toenails painted. I remember joking around with one of the guys at the gym saying "Pretty soon we'll be seeing some of these guys wearing dresses and carrying a purse, and then I started to come across pictures like these:

Funny Pictures at WalMart WWIB: Two Dudes, No Skirts

Funny Pictures at WalMart WWIB: I Feel Pretty

Funny Pictures at WalMart Peace Out Dawg

And then there's this (which really deserves it's own category):

Euro-bags | D Bagging

Welcome to dbagging.com | D Bagging

Another collage some douche made of himself | D Bagging
    Last edited by Goldust; 06-01-2013 at 04:49 PM.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Didn't you just say:

If more people lifted weights, we'd be healthier as a society?

Not the case. Not everyone who lifts is smart and well-informed like the majority of people on MDA who lift. More people lifting could just equate to more bozos injuring themselves (or taking things to help them get "big"). And (stating the obvious here) exercise is only a component of health. Stress is probably the main culprit of ill health. People lifting when stressed = not a good idea.
    So if society as a whole embraced strength training, it would not become healthier because some people would injure themselves? Should people maybe stop getting out of their house too, you know, because some bozo will fall down the stairs or get hit by a bus? Anything done improperly, or by an idiot, has the potential for negative effects.

Also, strength training is awesome for stress. In fact, almost any exercise is awesome for stress. I don't know anyone who feels worse after exercising when they're stressed out. I don't know what you're talking about here.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Anyway, saying that strength is the most vital tool is a Paleolithic attitude. "Survival of the fittest" applies to the eco system the organism belongs in. Our ecosystems are cities, where it's more likely to be sued than to be trapped in a burning building. In which case Bill Gates' money would come in more useful than someone muscles, however pretty they may be.
    No one is arguing that strength is the only thing important in life. That said, strength is important, and almost everyone could benefit from having more of it, especially modern men.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I don't think the fashion choices of men are "feminization" per se. We really see a change in men's fashion -- in terms of both color and shape -- at the turn of the 19th century (1800s).

Prior to this era, men wore wigs, make up, lots of lace and fine fabrics, a wide variety of colors, designs, and combinations thereof, fancy shoes, etc. They were not considered "less men" because of how they chose to dress -- this was simply "how men dress" (of course, largely of the upper classes).

There's a shift in the colorways that men wore in the 1800s, and it's pretty much stayed that way since then for the most part, with some groups of men breaking out into more color.

The reality is that none of these things makes a man more or less masculine. Shaving or not shaving (or, in many cases, waxing), nail polish or make-up or none, having a bag or not, wearing skirts (kilts anyone? traditional samoan wraps? etc?), and so on are not less masculine "inherently." it doesn't mean that these men are "feminized."

what it means is that men -- finally -- have choices. you keep just narrowing the gender description. to be a "real man" you have to A. lift, B. be strong, C. be useful to your friends/loved ones/community, D. dress a certain way, E. groom a certain way, etc.

none of this is actually true, any more than this list is true:

Real women: A. have curves; B. wear skirts and dresses, covering most of their bodies from elbows to knees at least; C. need long hair, but must also shave underarms, as well as trim/groom/wax all pubic hair, as well as shave their legs; D. wear make up; E. bear children to be useful to society; etc.

Instead, men who are cis-gendered or trans-gendered men decide what is masculine, what makes them "real men" -- and it may be entirely different than what another "real man" has decided for himself (cis/trans). Likewise, women who are cis/trans gendered decide for themselves -- as individuals -- what makes them 'real women' and it may be entirely different than what another "real woman" has decided for herself.

Got it?

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Guys also carried swords then...

Sent via A-10 Warthog

so if ai guy wears nail polish but carries a weapon, he's a man, but if he doesn't carry a weapon, he's not a man?

do you see the problem here?

Techie is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    America is becoming a nation of sparkling-vampire, everyone gets a medal, skinny jeans-wearing, emo music-listening, whale-saving, Prius-driving, Axe-wearing sissies. Guys would rather talk about their feelings with the girls they're too chicken to ask out and play video games than get under weights that could crush them or learn to throw a proper punch.
    Yes, save they even want to save the land whales and make it acceptable stay the size of a hamplanet.

Excuse me for any typos and sarcastic remarks, sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    So if society as a whole embraced strength training, it would not become healthier because some people would injure themselves? Should people maybe stop getting out of their house too, you know, because some bozo will fall down the stairs or get hit by a bus? Anything done improperly, or by an idiot, has the potential for negative effects.

Also, strength training is awesome for stress. In fact, almost any exercise is awesome for stress. I don't know anyone who feels worse after exercising when they're stressed out. I don't know what you're talking about here.
    Did I say that? No. You made an assertion that everyone would be healthier if they lifted. I said that's not the case. Lifting weights isn't for everyone, and it doesn't suit some people. Not just the bozos: even people who find it boring shouldn't force themselves to do it. There's an appropriate form of physical activity for everyone: it doesn't have to be lifting.

A lot of people people don't respond well to strenuous exercise. If you're metabolically unhealthy, depressed, in a highly stressed state, a simple activity like walking is far better for you.
    No one is arguing that strength is the only thing important in life. That said, strength is important, and almost everyone could benefit from having more of it, especially modern men.
    Well, I completely agree with this statement, but that's not really how it's been put in the rest of the thread...

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    i would say this:

if more people, regardless of sex/gender, were lifting (body weight or weights or odd objects) correctly, then we would be a healthier lot.
    I think you could also say:

if more people, regardless of sex/gender, were:

doing jobs they loved
    engaging in physical activity they enjoyed
    eating real food
    building fulfilling relationships
    playing

then we would be a healthier lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Guys also carried swords then...
    Yeah, I find every man who carries a firearm SO manly!

I get the impression that the men arguing the loudest for lifting have probably been labelled as "vain" once too often by people who consider the gym a redundant pastime.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

agreed. ;D

Lockstock is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    You forgot one thing.... muscles, whether made by genetic luck, hard work with barbells, body weight exercises.... or whatever, are generally attractive to most women. I do believe that more than a few men here in their 50's have posted the results of attention to strength and diet. When I see them, I'm like, dang their wives and girlfriends must really enjoy having them around when the mood strikes. And hopefully their wives and girlfriends also throw some weight around.

In the end, I have plenty of nice friends that don't work out, and don't eat right. Many in their late 20's. You can already see signs of aging and illness, even in the thin ones. For the mid 30's assortment that don't work out, the bodies are rapidly losing shape and they are seeking medical care for things like diabetes. The one's in their 40's.... By contrast I hit the gym and see healthy, strong men and women doing reps. They all look GREAT and more than one has floored me with their age. One woman in her 50's damn near made me pass out when she told me her age. She looks amazing. Her energy is just huge.

I really think that strength training is a big key to staying youthful and fit. It might not be in "fashion" but really, I know I want to live the second half of my life really fully with a partner that can do the same. I don't want to be tied to insulin or an easy walk in the park or afraid moving a chair is going to have me at the doctor. I don't want a spouse who needs a week to recover from a golf outing.

I fully understand that some people have barriers to fitness, but you know what, most are self imposed.
    Nah, I agree with you in that muscles generally do look good on anyone, girl or guy, and being physically capable. But, I think as long as your keeping yourself healthy and fit, your on the right track. I don't think it's fair to impose what a guy or girl 'should' be when we are all so different. There are honestly girls out there I know who are into these really, really, I mean REALLY ripped skinny guys. Then there's my GF who "loves me for my inner beauty" but certainly doesn't mind the muscle I have

Everyone's different, but everyone should be healthy and capable.

Lockstock is offline Senior Member
    Anyone notice that clothes aren't made for people with good bodies?

I don't consider myself big yet or anything, but I even notice that shirts, for example, often cause my shoulders to haunch forward, and that some pants are NOT made at all to accommodate developed thighs and glutes.

Page 26 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast