Page 22 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 22

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I've had to play hero on several occasions. It's fun.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Slacker62 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Being stronger makes one better at pretty much everything.
    Not for nothing, but I think the likes of Bill Gates would disagree with you there.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    You guys are one step away from cave man reenactments...

Why can't you just admit that you lift because it gives you a confidence boost? Chances are most of you would crap your pants before running into a burning building.
    It gives me a confidence boost because it gives me an ability boost. The burning building thing is mostly a rhetorical example, obviously. What about moving furniture, or Magnolia's example of being able to manhandle your lady friend (in a mutually enjoyable way, of course)?

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker62 View Post
    Not for nothing, but I think the likes of Bill Gates would disagree with you there.
    Okay. I'll stop worrying about being useful when I have a couple trillion dollars and can pay someone to be useful for me. In the meantime, I still blame the hipsters.

Okay. I'll stop worrying about being useful when I have a couple trillion dollars and can pay someone to be useful for me. In the meantime, I still blame the hipsters.
    Ha ha... great comeback! My point of course is simply that we now live in a society where brains often triumphs over brawn... neither of which should be considered a good or a bad thing. It just is what it is. Adaptability is something that I consider to be one of the most important of human traits.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    My whole thing about being strong, much like training in self-defense/firearms, etc. is:

You might well go your entire life without ever NEEDING to be strong. But that one time you REALLY need it...you'll be really glad you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    My whole thing about being strong, much like training in self-defense/firearms, etc. is:

You might well go your entire life without ever NEEDING to be strong. But that one time you REALLY need it...you'll be really glad you are.
    I agree with the sentiment, but I also feel like strength is inherently useful on a day to day basis. And it's a skill that we can all cultivate. Glorifying weakness is something that truly bothers me, because weakness doesn't do anything for anyone. Even Bill Gates would find it useful if he were stronger. It may not be a priority for him, but it would benefit him.

Glorifying weakness is something that truly bothers me, because weakness doesn't do anything for anyone. Even Bill Gates would find it useful if he were stronger. It may not be a priority for him, but it would benefit him.
    Perhaps, but do you really think that Bill Gates glorifies weakness? Or do you think that he just knows his strengths and capitalized on them?

Ha ha... great comeback! My point of course is simply that we now live in a society where brains often triumphs over brawn... neither of which should be considered a good or a bad thing. It just is what it is. Adaptability is something that I consider to be one of the most important of human traits.
    But it's not a dichotomy. You don't have to choose one or the other. You can read a book in between your sets of squats if you're so worried about training taking away from your intellectual development.

Of course being smart is useful. If I were a proponent of stupidity, wouldn't you tell me that I'm pushing a choice you don't agree with and can't get behind? How is that not what Mr. Anthony and I and canuck and several others have been saying for 21 pages of this thread? It's not a virtue to be dumb. It's not a virtue to be weak. I don't support actively pursuing either.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I agree with the sentiment, but I also feel like strength is inherently useful on a day to day basis.
    Yeah, I almost added:

"Plus, it just makes life easier" to the end of that post.

Being strong, knowing you can defend yourself, having money in the bank...it all just makes you move through life more easily. It trickles into everything you do.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Perhaps, but do you really think that Bill Gates glorifies weakness? Or do you think that he just knows his strengths and capitalized on them?
    No, I'm not saying he glorified weakness. I was saying that your example of Bill Gates was a glorification of weakness. Isn't that why you chose him? Because he's intellectually and financially successful and not big or strong?

Page 22 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast