Page 21 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 21

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Being stronger makes one better at pretty much everything.
    not at being a pussy.

source: this thread.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Well, luckily for me I could carry any of my loved ones to safety, no prob (they are all lightweights). If I ever come across some poor bastard that is too heavy for me to carry to safety then I guess I will just link him to this thread and say "Sorry dude, you should have been lifting, maybe you wouldn't be in this mess."
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
    I can do those things and I am 6'2", 160lbs. I actually want to stay light so that I can continue to become a better climber. I think the real factor here is power-to-weight ratio. Having a good power-to-rate ratio makes one better at pretty much everything.
    Having a great strength-to-weight ratio is good for things that involve you doing things to your own body. This relative strength, however, won't help you carry a 250lb man out of a burning building if you can't carry a 250lb man. A 90lb box won't become lighter. Those lug nuts stuck on your car's wheel won't unscrew themselves.

Absolute strength matters. If I'm hurt and need someone to carry me, I'll take the 250lb guy that can deadlift 400lb, rather than the 140lb guy that can deadlift 280lb, even though he is a lot stronger for his weight. My body won't scale itself down to his body.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    not at being a pussy.

source: this thread.

Well played, sir. Hoisted by my own petard!

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You need to grunt more when you say it. But pretty much
    I'm afraid I can't do that, it wouldn't be very lady like of me.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I lead Sierra Club hikes. They are open to the public. The number of detrained older men we get who can hardly haul their own asses up a mountain is truly frightening. I really want to tell them to lift weights but maybe walking up hills is good for now. In my opinion, you don't have the be the strongest, biggest man in the whole world, but you really should be at least better than a chunky old lady like me at hauling your sorry ass up a mountain.

Also, what is it that has happened in the last 12 years? When I started leading hikes for the Sierra Club I led really strenuous wild adventures. Unknown people would show up and they might find it really difficult but they weren't as bad off as they are now. These days I will only lead moderate hikes, hikes with some elevation gain or at least with one single difficult aspect, not several difficult aspects to contend with. But the quality of people who come on these hikes continues to decline year-by-year to the point that now I'm afraid to even lead moderate hikes. I'm thinking maybe city walks in parks might be all the average man on the street can handle these days.

What the fuck has happened out there? How did everybody get so weak? And to be more precise, how did so many men get so weak because 9/10 times it's a man who is struggling, not a woman.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Soy?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    What the fuck has happened out there? How did everybody get so weak? And to be more precise, how did so many men get so weak because 9/10 times it's a man who is struggling, not a woman.
    I blame hipsters.

Rojo is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
    So if I decide to risk my life on a pointless war it makes me more manly?
    No it doesn't. My point is that pointing to this generation and calling them pussies is far from the truth.

It seems to go against my self-preservation instinct. I don't think Grok would be volunteering to risk his life for nothing.
    You're off here. Lot's of people and animals sacrifice themselves for others. That isn't the case in the two pointless wars were fighting, but your just so story is off here.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You guys are one step away from cave man reenactments...

Why can't you just admit that you lift because it gives you a confidence boost? Chances are most of you would crap your pants before running into a burning building.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 21 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast