Page 20 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 20

Rags is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I try to lift 1 to 3 times per week. I guess I have a fear of people. Anthrophobia? I start to feel uncomfortable with 3 or more people near me. Doesn't matter if they are young, old, male, female, family, or friends. The more there are around the greater the urge to leave or bolt. I was at the ymca earlier this week to lift weights there were a number of people in the weight room. I had to go to another room and instead did sprints on an exercise bike. Sometimes the cardio room has a number in there and I go to the weight room. I went back yesterday in the afternoon and there were 4 people there and I was able to get through it. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon I will be able to get another set in for the week.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rags View Post
    I try to lift 1 to 3 times per week. I guess I have a fear of people. Anthrophobia? I start to feel uncomfortable with 3 or more people near me. Doesn't matter if they are young, old, male, female, family, or friends. The more there are around the greater the urge to leave or bolt. I was at the ymca earlier this week to lift weights there were a number of people in the weight room. I had to go to another room and instead did sprints on an exercise bike. Sometimes the cardio room has a number in there and I go to the weight room. I went back yesterday in the afternoon and there were 4 people there and I was able to get through it. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon I will be able to get another set in for the week.
    Yet another way the iron gives you the opportunity to make yourself stronger.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    So if I decide to risk my life on a pointless war it makes me more manly? It seems to go against my self-preservation instinct. I don't think Grok would be volunteering to risk his life for nothing.
    x2. War is just a convenient way to dispose of poor people. I have empathy for people who were bamboozled into signing up and thrown out like old trash when they were done. But, seriously, any casual anthropologist or historian can see the obvious truth. If war were about the thing we are told it's about, the presidents would battle to the death, not send thousands of poor people to kill each other and see who loses worse. Often, both countries think they won, anyway. It's a joke. A tragic, evil, sad joke.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I find this thread kind of funny. Men love to come on here now and then to complain about women who are afraid of being bulky but they don't realize they are just as hung up on bulk as anybody.
    sbhikes, it's not a matter of size, it's a matter of performance (that's what she said). I'm not a bodybuilder. I am not concerned with getting big/huge/having giant muscles. I am concerned with strength. That said, it's impossible to gain a lot of strength without gaining muscle, and consequently size, or "bulk" as you call it. When I'm talking about looking like a man, I simply mean being strong like a man should be, and a strong man who is 6 foot tall cannot weigh 140lb.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Okay I think I got it ..... man must be strong, not strong not man.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    It's your responsibility to be strong. If you cannot carry someone to safety or climb up things to escape basic danger, you have failed yourself, your family and your genes. That doesn't necessarily mean hitting the gym, per se. But people are counting on you when disaster strikes. Be prepared, be strong.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Okay I think I got it ..... man must be strong, not strong not man.
    You need to grunt more when you say it. But pretty much

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    It's your responsibility to be strong. If you cannot carry someone to safety or climb up things to escape basic danger, you have failed yourself, your family and your genes. That doesn't necessarily mean hitting the gym, per se. But people are counting on you when disaster strikes. Be prepared, be strong.
    Even the guy who likes the glittery cartoon horses gets it!

jackaaron is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I'm sorry you got hurt, but it's still an excuse. You know who didn't make excuses? Brian Jones:

Starting Strength
    Also Chuck Norris. Ever.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I can do those things and I am 6'2", 160lbs. I actually want to stay light so that I can continue to become a better climber. I think the real factor here is power-to-weight ratio. Having a good power-to-rate ratio makes one better at pretty much everything.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Being stronger makes one better at pretty much everything.

Page 20 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast