Page 2 of 92 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 2

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    All in comparison, much easier and much better results for men...
    Not disputing that. Part of that is because women are encouraged to use inappropriate rep ranges for their goals, and not to increase the weight on the bar. But part of it is physiological. Still, it's hard damn work to get under the bar 2 or 3 times a week. And lots of people don't like to do things that are hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Yep, those folks I get. But there are plenty cardio-only menfolk.
    Not by my definition of the word "menfolk."

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I blame Oprah. Masculinity is passť. Androgyny is in. It's about being 70's big vs. being 90's small.

Plus, like quikky says, squatting your balls off is hard work, and most people are pussies.
    Yeah, in my opinion Oprah went a little too far in bringing men in touch with there "sensitive" side also. I'm all for some balance but I want a man that is masculine and knows how to be a man.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I miss the time when "everybody" went to the gym and bust their ass off for two hours and more, six days a week. Almost nobody train like that any more, modern barbell men thinks that they "overtrain" by surpassing 45 minutes two days a week! Good for the gym owners with less wear and tear on the equipment though, and less people to bother the coaches, but then comes I doing 80 sets and 5 - 6 days a week...

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    America is becoming a nation of sparkling-vampire, everyone gets a medal, skinny jeans-wearing, emo music-listening, whale-saving, Prius-driving, Axe-wearing sissies. Guys would rather talk about their feelings with the girls they're too chicken to ask out and play video games than get under weights that could crush them or learn to throw a proper punch.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps the male beginners get intimidated when they see a woman bench more than they can.

I never thought I'd see it, but I was actually benching more than this guy I saw in the gym (granted it was 15 years ago, when I was 35.). He wasn't warming up, either!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    America is becoming a nation of sparkling-vampire, everyone gets a medal, skinny jeans-wearing, emo music-listening, whale-saving, Prius-driving, Axe-wearing sissies. Guys would rather talk about their feelings with the girls they're too chicken to ask out and play video games than get under weights that could crush them or learn to throw a proper punch.
    Whereas this post is actually worthy of a medal. Couldn't agree more. As Jim Wendler says, "What would Conan do?"

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    There's a lot of misinformation out there about lifting (Ex: squatting is bad for your knees), and a lot of guys just don't know the benefits. Lifting also requires some mental strength, as well.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Besides the cardio... What about when a guy picks up the same weight as you and it's for a bench press! I've seen about 3 men in my gym do a barbell deadlift in the past 2 years.... Same with squats. Alsooo... What's the deal with men that are 6 foot tall walking 3-3.5 mph on the treadmill. I would have just stayed in bed an extra 30 minutes!

I'm not trying to be to hard on the men but come on! Lol
    Yeah, the slow-walkers are weird, particularly readers - I mean, unless you are an octogenarian....
    My gym has very steady crowd of decent weight-lifting folks, can't complain, always have eye-candy and white envy material, but because these guys are so successful you would think not a single male would be in the cardio-world of upstairs apart from kettle-bells and boxing bag?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    definitely sig-worthy Mr. Anthony. keep up the good work
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Perhaps the male beginners get intimidated when they see a woman bench more than they can.

I never thought I'd see it, but I was actually benching more than this guy I saw in the gym (granted it was 15 years ago, when I was 35.). He wasn't warming up, either!
    How is the fact that you're weaker than a woman a valid excuse not to lift weights? Seems counterintuitive.

Page 2 of 92 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast