Page 16 of 92 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 16

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    You don't need a spotter. Use the power rack. The safety bars are your spot. If you can't squat the weight you just set the bar down on the safety bars and crawl out from under it. Same goes for presses. Deadlift you don't need the power rack. You just put it down if you can't lift it. Bench is the only thing you need a spotter for but you can avoid it if you leave one rep in the tank. Or you can just ask someone to spot you. I got started by hiring someone to show me the lifts. It was money well spent most especially so that I could walk in there with confidence.

And Knifegill, whatever happened to your big rock?

You guys are as bad as women can be, you know? I mean come on. Lifting weights isn't all about appearance. It's a healthy thing to do. Mark suggests lifting heavy things as a means to turn on certain gene expressions. Barbells are easier things to lift than other things. He recommends body weight stuff probably because it requires no money or equipment to get started. If you do calisthenics, I think you're doing pretty well, but it's probably not turning on the same gene expression unless you are adding more complicated variations or wrapping chains and weights around yourself.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

dabears is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
    I have a question that I believe fits this thread. What would you do in my situation...

I have never really lifted before. I've done a round of P90x with resistance bands, but I've never actually pumped iron. I am convinced of the benefits of deadlifts and squats but where do I begin?

I am a member of a rock climbing gym. I go there to climb. There is however a complete weight room. Unfortunately, I have no spotter. Aside from having no spotter, I have never done these lifts before. How am I supposed to spot myself and check my own form? Do I even need a spotter on a squat rack (knowing that I have never performed these movements before)?

What would you guys do? Currently I rely on bodyweight exercises just for ease of use. I do tons of pull/chin-ups and pushups but I really want to step it up. And yes, I know, my n00b is showing.
    Edit: holy I got beat to the punch... multiple times!

glad you asked!

I would read this for motivation, and to understand what sets apart barbells from the rest.

T NATION | Rippetoe Throws Down

For safety:

I don't know what kind of rack they have, but if it is a decent one it will have "safety bars" that are removable/adjustable based on your squat depth (you should be going to at least thighs = parallel at bottom of rep). You can bail on a bar (I did on monday) and it will just rest on the safety bars. Yeah its embarassing to unrack the weight, but shows you are working out with intensity (maybe a bit too much lol).

Deadlifting doesn't require anything, if you can't pick it up... you can't.

Bench pressing you can either ask someone for a spot (easy) or put a bench in the same squat rack cage, and set the bars right at your chest level (harder, and might piss people off).

As far as proper form... (extremely important)

I think the stronglifts website does a great job of not only explaining form in descriptive text but also in video.

StrongLifts: Gain Muscle And Strength While Losing Fat StrongLifts

It is well suited for beginners, and is a great way to get started. Everything you need, from a program / form tutorials / general tips & tricks is all in there.

You'll find barbell strength training will only complement and improve your other strength activities

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Ha ha. We think alike. Cross-posted.
    Yeah, I noticed that...

boomingno is offline Member
    You do not need a spotter if there is a squat rack. Personally, for a beginner concerned about proper form, I would recommend Stronglifts 5x5. You just start with the bar, 45#, and add 5# per workout. Starting Strength is another very similar beginning strength training routine. I've done both, and they are great.

EDIT: And I thought I was replying so fast... lol

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    How much do you weigh? I consider myself to have very little mass at 6'2" 160lbs.
    We're pretty much the same. I'm 6'3 and a varying degree of 150lbs. I hope you're not restricting carbs, speaking from experience, as someone your size, specifically if you want to put on size and lift.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I hope you're not restricting carbs, speaking from experience, as someone your size, specifically if you want to put on size and lift.
    1 point for the skinny vampire.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everybody! I ordered SS Volume 3 last week, just haven't received it yet. I hate being bad at things haha.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    We're pretty much the same. I'm 6'3 and a varying degree of 150lbs. I hope you're not restricting carbs, speaking from experience, as someone your size, specifically if you want to put on size and lift.
    I haven't been purposely restricting carbs until I started SAE this week. I doubt I will make it much longer than 2 weeks. Who knows, maybe I will use this acquired carb-restricting willpower to get on a leangains type of program after SAE.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everybody! I ordered SS Volume 3 last week, just haven't received it yet. I hate being bad at things haha.
    Good call. Just read it carefully, there's more to the lifts than meets the eye.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Being bad at things is great. It means you can only get better. Celebrate all your little victories and you'll have lots to celebrate.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 16 of 92 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast