Page 15 of 92 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 15

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    but it's a lot harder for someone 6'3 with hyperthyroidism to put on mass than it is for someone 5'6.
    How much do you weigh? I consider myself to have very little mass at 6'2" 160lbs.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

dabears is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Yes I have. If I can lift myself, I could lift someone else of similar size if I put my whole body into it and have proper form when holding them. I'm not arguing against it, I'm arguing against myself doing it. You can do what you want.
    give it a shot and let me know how that works out for you

Quote Originally Posted by dabears View Post
    give it a shot and let me know how that works out for you
    Do you believe that you could "lift someone else of similar size if [you] put [your] whole body into it and have proper form when holding them"?

My wife, who weighs under 100lbs, could lift someone of similar size. You only have to be Arnold if you need to lift Arnold.

dabears is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
    Do you believe that you could "lift someone else of similar size if [you] put [your] whole body into it and have proper form when holding them"?

My wife, who weighs under 100lbs, could lift someone of similar size. You only have to be Arnold if you need to lift Arnold.
    with ease. considering I have a raw 2.25x bodyweight deadlift, I could lift someone of greater size as well.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member

Yeah, the "of similar size" part makes for kind of a silly standard. Could you drag/carry most non-elephantine people out of a burning building?

Quote Originally Posted by dabears View Post
    I could lift someone of greater size as well.
    That's a far more important fact. Especially when you're a little guy like me or Derp.

I have a question that I believe fits this thread. What would you do in my situation...

I have never really lifted before. I've done a round of P90x with resistance bands, but I've never actually pumped iron. I am convinced of the benefits of deadlifts and squats but where do I begin?

I am a member of a rock climbing gym. I go there to climb. There is however a complete weight room. Unfortunately, I have no spotter. Aside from having no spotter, I have never done these lifts before. How am I supposed to spot myself and check my own form? Do I even need a spotter on a squat rack (knowing that I have never performed these movements before)?

What would you guys do? Currently I rely on bodyweight exercises just for ease of use. I do tons of pull/chin-ups and pushups but I really want to step it up. And yes, I know, my n00b is showing.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    I have a question that I believe fits this thread. What would you do in my situation...

I have never really lifted before. I've done a round of P90x with resistance bands, but I've never actually pumped iron. I am convinced of the benefits of deadlifts and squats but where do I begin?

I am a member of a rock climbing gym. I go there to climb. There is however a complete weight room. Unfortunately, I have no spotter. Aside from having no spotter, I have never done these lifts before. How am I supposed to spot myself and check my own form? Do I even need a spotter on a squat rack (knowing that I have never performed these movements before)?

What would you guys do? Currently I rely on bodyweight exercises just for ease of use. I do tons of pull/chin-ups and pushups but I really want to step it up. And yes, I know, my n00b is showing.
    1. Read Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.
    2. Go to the gym and practice doing the lifts.
    3. Record every lift on video.
    4. Post video of said lifts to the Starting Strength forum and ask for form feedback.
    5. Go back to gym and incorporate the feedback.
    6. Record every lift on video.
    7. Post video on the forum again and ask for more feedback.
    8. Repeat steps 5-7 until form is pretty good.
    9. Go back to gym and train, adding a little bit of weight every time.
    10. Repeat step 9 until you're strong enough.

First thing: It was everybody's first day once. Everybody. Schwarzenneger. Benedikt Magnusson. Andy Bolton. All had a first day. Nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about.

Second thing: Buy Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition. Get a video camera. Post frequent form checks as you move up in weight. You will start light enough not to need spotting and get good enough by the time you have enough weight on the bar to get nervous.

When you need spotters, ask someone in the gym, but be very explicit that they are NOT TO TOUCH THE BAR unless you ask them to or lose consciousness. By then, you'll know when you need them.

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    1. Read Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.
    2. Go to the gym and practice doing the lifts.
    3. Record every lift on video.
    4. Post video of said lifts to the Starting Strength forum and ask for form feedback.
    5. Go back to gym and incorporate the feedback.
    6. Record every lift on video.
    7. Post video on the forum again and ask for more feedback.
    8. Repeat steps 5-7 until form is pretty good.
    9. Go back to gym and train, adding a little bit of weight every time.
    10. Repeat step 9 until you're strong enough.
    Ha ha. We think alike. Cross-posted.

Page 15 of 92 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast