Page 14 of 92 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 14

PrimalHunter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by dabears View Post
    And PrimalHunter where did you get the idea that Mark doesn't recommend barbell training?
    His Primal Blueprint Fitness ebook is all about bodyweight exercises. He personally avoids barbells because he's more concerned with maintaining strength and avoiding injury than making gains. He's always talking about optimizing but not maximizing muscle size, being fit without carrying around a lot of metabolically expensive muscle.

He references and recommends a starting strength style workout here:
    Yes, that's one of my favorite posts, but it's not typical for him. It's like he wrote that post just to satisfy the lifters, then returned to his regularly scheduled program, already in progress.

And alters rippetoes GOMAD to ADEAD (a dozen eggs a day).
    I'm a fan of ADEAD, but a dozen eggs is 840 calories, hardly a magical formula for weight gain.
    "Don't go in there, General, it's a trap! That's a grain chamber. It makes people like you into people like me."

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    So what? I don't do that in the gym, and his form sucked. You put something on the web like that you're either being a douchebag and showing off (though 265 is nothing to brag about) or you're asking for advice. I get now which he was doing.
    Not showing off at all. Someone wanted to see my swole 14-inch gunz (note: anybody who doesn't at least chuckle at that phrase doesn't understand it), and this form check video I posted on StartingStrength.com (where I solicit form advice, and get accurate and helpful feedback) was the only available source, since I'm at my work computer. I'm certainly not trying to impress anybody with my powerlifting prowess.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Lent my brown body paint to Derp and my thong to Geeknik's hubby.
    Don't mean to hurt your feelings, but, I don't want your brown body paint, I like my white skin

I guess what makes a man a man is lifting weights, eh? Nothing else.

I tried lifting, it was boring as hell, and incoming excuse: but it's a lot harder for someone 6'3 with hyperthyroidism to put on mass than it is for someone 5'6. Short of roiding, or eating massive excesses of calories, it's impossible for me to gain considerable mass.

That said, despite being really light, I'm not really that weak. My legs are strong, as are my shoulders, and chest, and this morning for you Rich, I did 30 pullups and chinups.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 05-30-2013 at 08:26 AM.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

dabears is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalHunter View Post
    His Primal Blueprint Fitness ebook is all about bodyweight exercises. He personally avoids barbells because he's more concerned with maintaining strength and avoiding injury than making gains. He's always talking about optimizing but not maximizing muscle size, being fit without carrying around a lot of metabolically expensive muscle.
    Yeah I've read through it, and I like the workouts. I think at his age + fitness level though he is able to talk about maintaining strength + avoiding injury, since he is a pretty strong dude. But for beginners looking to get stronger, nothing beats a barbell (it's been argued on here constantly!). I think his "metabolically expensive muscle" comment was more referred to the bodybuilder type crowd anyways (lots of sarcoplasmic muscle growth, glycogen stuffed muscles). He even references it in the article I posted.

Yes, that's one of my favorite posts, but it's not typical for him. It's like he wrote that post just to satisfy the lifters, then returned to his regularly scheduled program, already in progress.
    I'm glad he did, it was one of the first posts I ever read on here. I think barbells fit perfectly with his "lift heavy things" philosophy... they just seem less "grok-like".

I'm a fan of ADEAD, but a dozen eggs is 840 calories, hardly a magical formula for weight gain.
    Haha believe me I know, I think it was more tongue in cheek than anything to turn a mass gaining protocol (more like fat gaining anyways) into something more primal. That being said, adding a dozen eggs a day to a maintenance level diet would certainly work! I prefer to just increase my overall meat/carb consumption and lower the fat a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Don't mean to hurt your feelings, but, I don't want your brown body paint, I like my white skin
    I know you do. That was the joke.

Being capable is part of what makes a man. Lifting weights is an extremely efficient way to get capable.

I tried lifting, it was boring as hell, and incoming excuse: but it's a lot harder for someone 6'3 with hyperthyroidism to put on mass than it is for someone 5'6. Short of roiding, or eating massive excesses of calories, it's impossible for me to gain considerable mass.
    I thought you ate 10,000 kCal worth of sugar a day?

It's not that easy for me to put on mass either. I have to work damn hard and eat a lot more than I want to to make any kind of gains. And nothing about my mass is "considerable." Yet.

Everybody doesn't need to be a powerlifting champion. But a man should be able to carry a friend out of a burning building (to re-state an earlier example) if he has to. Remove a stuck lug nut. Carry all the groceries in from the car in one trip. That kind of stuff. Lifting isn't the only way to get there, but it's the most efficient.

dabears is offline Member

That said, despite being really light, I'm not really that weak. My legs are strong, as are my shoulders, and chest, and this morning for you Rich, I did 30 pullups and chinups.
    I can guarantee those are the most non-strict pullups and chinups ever. My brother is one of the more weaker humans I know, but he can bang out tons of chinups, pullups... hell he can even do muscleups. It is all relative to bodyweight, and that is the main reason I have an issue with bodyweight exercises. If a muscle up = strong indicator of general strength, then why can my 6'2 152lb brother perform them when he can't squat 175lbs for a rep?

You are so full of excuses it is hilarious. Have you even attempted to put on mass? Nobody here said that what makes a man is lifting weights, but it certainly plays a part in being one. Again, could you save someone from a burning building? Or would you have to get the help of a real man. It really is simple, and I find it hilarious you are arguing against it.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Funny thread! Somebody ask one of the SS fanboys to show his gunz and he come up with a SQUAT, LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Funny thread! Somebody ask one of the SS fanboys to show his gunz and he come up with a SQUAT, LOL...
    I like it better when Cori trolls me.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I know you do. That was the joke.
    Well, I'll take the thong instead then.

Being capable is part of what makes a man. Lifting weights is an extremely efficient way to get capable.
    Hypotheticals?

I thought you ate 10,000 kCal worth of sugar a day?

It's not that easy for me to put on mass either. I have to work damn hard and eat a lot more than I want to to make any kind of gains. And nothing about my mass is "considerable." Yet.

Everybody doesn't need to be a powerlifting champion. But a man should be able to carry a friend out of a burning building (to re-state an earlier example) if he has to. Remove a stuck lug nut. Carry all the groceries in from the car in one trip. That kind of stuff. Lifting isn't the only way to get there, but it's the most efficient.
    I wish, but I don't have a disposable income to eat that much food every day. Sugar does nothing to help me gain weight, either way.

Should be able to? But, why? I guess more hypothetical scenarios? Adrenaline is a very powerful fight or flight hormone, and, most of my friends are light too, so, I have no doubts I could carry them. And, dude, I don't have that many arms to carry in all my groceries.

No one is going to look to me to do anything that requires intensive strength, they just look to me in other ways. I'm fine with this, it's working together in all our various strength and weaknesses that unites us as social creatures.

The only excuse I really have or need is that I just don't want to do it. Assuming the need arises, maybe I'll consider it. For now, I'm happy just running really fast and exercising my brain.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

I can guarantee those are the most non-strict pullups and chinups ever. My brother is one of the more weaker humans I know, but he can bang out tons of chinups, pullups... hell he can even do muscleups. It is all relative to bodyweight, and that is the main reason I have an issue with bodyweight exercises. If a muscle up = strong indicator of general strength, then why can my 6'2 152lb brother perform them when he can't squat 175lbs for a rep?

You are so full of excuses it is hilarious. Have you even attempted to put on mass? Nobody here said that what makes a man is lifting weights, but it certainly plays a part in being one. Again, could you save someone from a burning building? Or would you have to get the help of a real man. It really is simple, and I find it hilarious you are arguing against it.
    Yes I have. If I can lift myself, I could lift someone else of similar size if I put my whole body into it and have proper form when holding them. I'm not arguing against it, I'm arguing against myself doing it. You can do what you want.

Page 14 of 92 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast