Page 13 of 92 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 13

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Bodyweight to me = lifting weight.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

PrimalHunter is offline Senior Member
    This thread is ridiculous. Does anyone want to join me in the middle, somewhere between the skeletal metrosexual pansies and the egotistical musclebound rapists?

As to why more men don't lift weights, I guess the biggest reason is that it's just not their thing. Just like many guys don't care about being rich, or having kids, or spelunking, or running for political office, many guys just don't care about the iron game. I happen to love it, but I wouldn't do it if it felt like a chore. Even among lifters, many people don't care about aesthetics. Witness all the people on this forum who think that working on your biceps is a joke.

Another thing is that most people don't know about StrongLifts or Starting Strength, which are way the hell easier than the routines pushed by bodybuilding magazines. I used to start off with legs: 3 sets of leg presses, 3 sets of Smith machine squats, 3 sets of leg extensions, 3 sets of leg curls. Then on to chest: 3 sets of flat bench, 3 sets of incline bench, 3 sets of decline bench, 3 sets of flyes, and so on for each body part. When you're not seeing results, this wears you down after a while. Oh, and each set is done to failure, with a good number of drop sets and partial reps thrown in. And if you question any of it, you're a pussy.

I think more guys would lift weights if they knew how easy, fun, and effective it is, just like primal eating. But then there would still be lots of guys who wouldn't like it. Don't forget that even Mark doesn't recommend barbell training. He's not anti-iron per se, but he's sure not a Rippetoe disciple.
    "Don't go in there, General, it's a trap! That's a grain chamber. It makes people like you into people like me."

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Lent my brown body paint to Derp and my thong to Geeknik's hubby.

My lower back isn't rounding at all. My upper back is always a little bit round due to some thoracic kyphosis, but it still maintains extension throughout these reps. Not saying these are perfect (hips rise faster than the shoulders on a few reps), but they're close enough to a 5RM that perfection is an unrealistic standard. So, in short, thanks for the unsolicited and incorrect advice.
    Wow, you are a douchebag. You are correct, it was more your upper back. You looked like you were going to be pushed into the floor with what I consider a warm up lift. Come back to me when you can squat 350 with good form for reps.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalHunter View Post
    This thread is ridiculous. Does anyone want to join me in the middle, somewhere between the skeletal metrosexual pansies and the egotistical musclebound rapists?
    Are you calling me musclebound? How kind of you.

dabears is offline Member
    Mark Twight (Trainer for the 300 Movie) summed it up best:

"Appearance is a consequence of fitness"

So all these guys who are too worried about "bulking up" etc. are really just out of shape humans. If you are ok with that... hey why not be the best you can be? It is easier to just talk about why you don't then to go out and do it.

And PrimalHunter where did you get the idea that Mark doesn't recommend barbell training?

He references and recommends a starting strength style workout here:

How to Gain Weight and Build Muscle | Mark's Daily Apple

And alters rippetoes GOMAD to ADEAD (a dozen eggs a day).

dabears is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    Wow, you are a douchebag. You are correct, it was more your upper back. You looked like you were going to be pushed into the floor with what I consider a warm up lift. Come back to me when you can squat 350 with good form for reps.
    considering he was squatting 265 for reps ATG, I'm sure he can get in the 300's to parallel. And he was right, you did give unsolicited advice. You are totally "that guy" at the gym I bet

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    350 is damn near 2x bodyweight for me. If you're squatting 2 bodyweights for reps with perfect form (and to depth), you should probably be familiar with anatomical kyphosis and know the difference between the thoracic and lumbar spines. And also know that it's rude to give unsolicited form advice. (actually, I just checked, and this is the example given in the dictionary next to the definition of douchebaggery)

Quote Originally Posted by dabears View Post
    considering he was squatting 265 for reps ATG, I'm sure he can get in the 300's to parallel. And he was right, you did give unsolicited advice. You are totally "that guy" at the gym I bet
    Yeah, I can squat 315 to that same depth for a single. Maybe a little more. It's not impressive, but it is 2x bodyweight.

And good call on Abu being "that guy" in the gym. So true. That's why I train at home.

Quote Originally Posted by dabears View Post
    So what? I don't do that in the gym, and his form sucked. You put something on the web like that you're either being a douchebag and showing off (though 265 is nothing to brag about) or you're asking for advice. I get now which he was doing.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Yeah, I can squat 315 to that same depth for a single. Maybe a little more. It's not impressive, but it is 2x bodyweight.

And good call on Abu being "that guy" in the gym. So true. That's why I train at home.
    To think that this board used to be supportive. I guess the asshats have won.

Page 13 of 92 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast