Page 12 of 92 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why men won't lift weights? page 12

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    but here are a list of excuses...
    And the douchebag strikes agian. Its not a list of excuses its called overcoming a horrific injury to the back you jacka$$. I get it, you're a big proponent of lifting weights and thats great for you but it doesn't work for me anymore. How about we try this, you injure your back scaling an 8 foot wall @ 215 lbs with 50 lbs of body armor and equipment and tell me how you'd feel. Bodyweights works better for me b/c it allows me to build strength and mobility which to me now is more important than bulking up.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Quote Originally Posted by Natureman View Post
    I workout in a park that has an out door gym I guess one wold call it. I do my pull-ups and then a large amount of push-ups on Mon/Wed/Fri.

Tue/Thur/Sat I do some cardio in the park. Some light jogging then then some sprinting on Saturdays. Works for me and I don't nee to go to a gym.
    Right there with you man. I already put up a pull up bar in the backyard and next will be the monkey bars.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AppalachianMatt View Post
    A How about we try this, you injure your back scaling an 8 foot wall @ 215 lbs with 50 lbs of body armor and equipment and tell me how you'd feel. Bodyweights works better for me b/c it allows me to build strength and mobility which to me now is more important than bulking up.
    "Listen up Private! If only you had squatted ATG 400x4, you would have scaled that wall without a sweat."
    Not me. Mark Rippetoe would have said that. And i might not disagree with that.

And, if you can bulk up just by lifting, millions of bodybuilders would commit suicide because of heartbreak. They busted their balls with incredible amount of diet/rest/workout discipline for YEARS and just imagine, you just showed up in a gym, lifted weights and bulked up!
    Few but ripe.

And the douchebag strikes agian. Its not a list of excuses its called overcoming a horrific injury to the back you jacka$$. I get it, you're a big proponent of lifting weights and thats great for you but it doesn't work for me anymore. How about we try this, you injure your back scaling an 8 foot wall @ 215 lbs with 50 lbs of body armor and equipment and tell me how you'd feel. Bodyweights works better for me b/c it allows me to build strength and mobility which to me now is more important than bulking up.
    not judging your situation whatsoever, and this may just be semantics, but the language you use leads me to believe that you don't really know a lot about weight training. saying things like "it doesn't work for me anymore" and "bulking up" aren't exactly things that someone in the know would say. i'm sure that bodyweight training is quite effective. I incorporate bodyweight training in to my routine, and guys like al kavadlo pretty much only do bodyweight training. that's fine. but a decent weight training program, utilizing proper form and technique, would do wonders for just about every human on earth. if you can do a pushup, you can bench press. if you can do a bodyweight squat, you can add a bar and progress slowly. I had/have a pretty screwed up back from a car accident, and I continue to weight train. exercise like the deadlift have helped to heal my back, not hurt it.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry you got hurt, but it's still an excuse. You know who didn't make excuses? Brian Jones:

Starting Strength

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    not judging your situation whatsoever, and this may just be semantics, but the language you use leads me to believe that you don't really know a lot about weight training. saying things like "it doesn't work for me anymore" and "bulking up" aren't exactly things that someone in the know would say. i'm sure that bodyweight training is quite effective. I incorporate bodyweight training in to my routine, and guys like al kavadlo pretty much only do bodyweight training. that's fine. but a decent weight training program, utilizing proper form and technique, would do wonders for just about every human on earth. if you can do a pushup, you can bench press. if you can do a bodyweight squat, you can add a bar and progress slowly. I had/have a pretty screwed up back from a car accident, and I continue to weight train. exercise like the deadlift have helped to heal my back, not hurt it.
    Thank you for the post and I do have a good bit of knowledge about weightlifting but at this point in my life its not the best thing for me. Whether thats mental (fear of reinjuring my back/shoulder) I'm not sure but I enjoy bodyweight exercising more. Its give me the opportunity to truly focus on body control and cut my workout time in half while still getting a heck of a workout. I lifted a lot in High school, when I played College Football (which led to reconstructive shoulder surgery for a posterrior dislocation plus torn rottaor cuff) and while in the Army as well. I definitely understand the benefits of the gym and weights but again for me bodyweight works best. I like Al and read his post but again this is just what works for me. It may not for everyone else but dropping from 215 lbs to 190 lbs with about 8-9% body fat has made a world of difference. If weights work best for you or Rich or anyone else then run with it.

Mary Pickford

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I'm sorry you got hurt, but it's still an excuse. You know who didn't make excuses? Brian Jones:

Starting Strength
    I wish him nothing but the best in his recovery but thats a bit of an extreme. I didn't realize that weight lifting was so important to you that you'd throw out something I can't or anyone else can even compete with. Again its not an excuse, I workout more then most people and I apologize that the method I use does not fit your version of fitness.

Mary Pickford

Thank you for the post and I do have a good bit of knowledge about weightlifting but at this point in my life its not the best thing for me. Whether thats mental (fear of reinjuring my back/shoulder) I'm not sure but I enjoy bodyweight exercising more. Its give me the opportunity to truly focus on body control and cut my workout time in half while still getting a heck of a workout. I lifted a lot in High school, when I played College Football (which led to reconstructive shoulder surgery for a posterrior dislocation plus torn rottaor cuff) and while in the Army as well. I definitely understand the benefits of the gym and weights but again for me bodyweight works best. I like Al and read his post but again this is just what works for me. It may not for everyone else but dropping from 215 lbs to 190 lbs with about 8-9% body fat has made a world of difference. If weights work best for you or Rich or anyone else then run with it.
    cool. makes me wonder if its a bit mental. I definitely dealt with the same thing for a few years after my accident. I shied away from heavy weights, and did not deadlift at all. i'm glad to be back in the saddle with lifting now, and the benefits have been great. I will say though, that I lift differently than I did when I was younger and before the accident. I pretty much always stay in the 6-8 rep range for the big lifts, and in the 10 rep range for overhead presses ( due to a long history of tendonitis). so no 1rms/doubles/ or triples for me. for sure. right now it is what works. I've managed to do a pretty good job with lifting hard and staying healthy for quite a few years now (knock on wood) and will continue to do so.

i'd say that if you're happy with what you're doing, do it. I will say that you could probably benefit (just like everyone else) from some sort of lifting. if the mood ever strikes you, don't let a mental block stand in your way. you seem intelligent, just be smart about it

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I wish him nothing but the best in his recovery but thats a bit of an extreme. I didn't realize that weight lifting was so important to you that you'd throw out something I can't or anyone else can even compete with. Again its not an excuse, I workout more then most people and I apologize that the method I use does not fit your version of fitness.
    I don't care if you lift or don't lift. Just don't make excuses when there are people like Brian in the world. Own your decisions.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you Rich for your kind words of encouragement. I will do my best to live up to your standards from here on out and I will work on owning my decisions. I will put aside what I think works best for me and focus solely on your view of the world after I finish my pistol squats.

Mary Pickford

Page 12 of 92 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast