Thread: Using ACV for acne, a problem. page

Traveller is offline Senior Member

Using ACV for acne, a problem.

Primal Fuel
    Hi all.

I've been using ACV for acne for the past 3 days. The first couple of days I had good results, considering it had been only two days. Acne went down a bit and dried out. Then my skin got sort of...bumpy. Not acne bumpy, but really small, invisible or skin-coloured bumps. My skin basically feels like sandpaper.

As to how exactly I've been using it; I apply it straight out of the bottle with a cotton ball, 3-4 times a day, and just leave it on. I don't wash it off.
    I exfoliate with nutmeg and honey/milk every few days. I'm not using any other product, lotion or cleanser on my face. No moisturiser's either.

So, anyone know how I can get rid of the roughness? It was working great until that happened.

Thanks!

Traveller.

P.S. I drink ACV without any problems, and use it as a hair rinse, so I don't think I'm allergic to it.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I think you're drying out your skin. That could lead to an overproduction of sebum as your skin seeks to replenish its oils and make the acne worse. In my experience, a good salicylic acne mask helps, if you don't have access to it, just dissolve some aspirin in warm water and use that as a mask/toner for your face. And use some lotion...most effective acne treatments are very drying.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

becks83 is offline Member
    Agree with Damiana - it's too strong to use neat regularly for most people. I've used it on and off with great success for a few years now, but I always water it down - around 1/3 ACV to 2/3 water (in small amounts so it doesn't go rancid, or use a hydrolat such as distilled tea tree water).

I've suffered the bumpy dryness you're talking about a couple of times, when I was young and foolish and put neat sudocrem on my face and another time I accidentally used neat tea tree oil (thought it was diluted). Never again! Go gently

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    You are drying out your skin to a severe degree, which will only exacerbate acne. While I never had severe acne, I always suffered breakouts throughout my teens/20s. What finally tamed the beast was pulling way back on my daily routine. I stopped washing my face at all in the morning- I just splash some water on then apply a light daily moisturizer. At night I use a gentle cream cleanser, and also an acne-specific cleanser (Acne Free, which contains benzoyl peroxide) if I feel my skin is starting to look a bit clogged. At night I also use an AHA moisturizer, as I am at the age now where I'm trying to combat not just acne, but age spots and wrinkles. Moisturizing is key, I have found. People with acne get overly zealous about trying to "dry out" their pimples, but dry out your skin and it will produce even more oil. You have to find your skin's happy balance.

Lorena is offline Junior Member
    Maybe try moisturizing with coconut oil? I find that does not clog my pores and sinks in pretty quickly. Wipe off excess with a rough towel to exfoliate.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    its supposed to be used diluted 50:50 with water, your applying an acid to skin; its no wonder its dry. otherwise you're using it right
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Thanks guys for responding.

I tried diluting it, and yup that fixed it. I'm now applying to my face 5-6 times a day and my acne is finally on the way out, I think.

Thanks!

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    glad that's better, its really good stuff but people don't realise how strong it actually is
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082