Thread: how much protien should you eat at one meal???? page

gundoc Guest

for the last six months I have been eating six meals a day with 15-20 grams of protein in each one. I am trying this way of eating and some of the recipes have 40-50 grams per serving. I thought your body could only process apx 20 grams at a time. Also with primal what is the recomended meal timing I am used to eating every three hours or so small meals for about 2400 cal a day. Thanks for the advice.

Don

hfox is offline Junior Member

Great question. On the same note, how much of other nutrients should we eat per meal? As far as fruits and vegetables go, is it wise to eat very large servings at once if our goal is to maximize nutrient absorption? I know that in the case of many vitamins, we just pee them out.

BigBeck89 Guest

Do you really think that as soon as you put a piecr of meat in your mouth it is instantly availabe to be used as protein in your body? It has to be digested first. So your body gets a steady stream of protein

Mick Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    [quote]

for the last six months I have been eating six meals a day with 15-20 grams of protein in each one. I am trying this way of eating and some of the recipes have 40-50 grams per serving.</blockquote>

I&#39;m not quite sure what you mean by this. I think you may be confusing "foods high in first-class proteins" with "protein".

Take as an example 60g of smoked haddock. That contains about 12 g of protein, 0.3 g of carbohydrate, and 18.7 g of fat

Here&#39;s another example: 40 g of oatmeal or rolled oats made into porridge. That contains about 4 g of protein, 26 g of carbohydrate, and 2 g of fat.

You could look up all the breakdown figures for all the foodstuffs you eat and work out the proportions of protein, carbohydrate, and fat in them. But that way lies madness.

Broadly speaking you can say that most people don&#39;t eat enough animal fat. Healthy groups of hunter-gatherers, fishermen (and some farmers) all tended to eat in the range of 40% to 80% of their total calorific intake as fat (mostly animal fat). That&#39;s a pretty wide range. Besides, it&#39;s not the gross proportions of protein, carbohydrate, and fat that are significant so much as the quality of the food. Basically, eat food that&#39;s as "natural" as possible - so-called "wholefoods" and organic where possible/feasible on price. That way you&#39;re getting more of the vitamins and minerals you need. By contrast avoid denatured, pre-packaged, over-refined food.

But if you want to have an idea of whether your protein, carbohydrate, fat consumption is in the right area (remembering that large variation), work out the nutritional breakdown of a few sample meals until you get a rough idea. then you can play it by ear.

You don&#39;t need to eat multiple small meals. That&#39;s what people on high carbohydrate diets do, because those tend to make the blood sugar oscillate. People eating traditional diets, by contrast, seem to have eaten two or three meals a day. They don&#39;t seem always to have eaten at set times but sometimes as and when they wanted. Sometimes they missed a meal (either because they weren&#39;t hungry or because they didn&#39;t have food in hand), sometimes they ate a heck of a lot in one go. For my money, multiple small meals is just disruptive of your daily routine and unnecessary.