Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Evil, nasty voice inside my head! page 2

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I don't think the voice ever completely goes away. One thing I've noticed though, is that when something sounds really good and I put it off (like a peanut butter cup sundae), and eventually I cave and I over do it, eating way more than I should. That leads me to feeling sick, and from that experience I don't want one again.

Sometimes I cave and don't over eat, but the taste isn't nearly as good as I imagined, which left me wondering "Why did I even bother?" That sort of keeps me from really wanting it again.
    +1
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Keep in mind that the voice is YOURS, and you're just tempting yourself. I find that if I dwell on something that's bad for me and portray it (to myself) as delicious and desirable, then that voice gets stronger and stronger.

I've read that the key to control is the self-talk we do. For example, I do an 'alternate day' plan of calorie restriction. On M, W, F, I only eat 350 cal for the day. When I began this program 15 months ago, I learned that if I'm tempted by something on one of those low cal days (and I'm hungry!), I just say, "I'll eat X tomorrow," and the desire for that food disappears--really!. And the next day, I don't even think about it (unless it's something I've planned for that day).

In other words, those 'voices' can be controlled if you try.

By the way, I didn't find that eating a little sugar was the way to abstain totally. That's like trying to stop smoking by cutting down.

I just stopped all sugar and artificial sweeteners (when I realized that my body processed them like sugar).

ToniWA is offline Senior Member
    My "inner fat kid" is obnoxious and very convincing. I used treats as comfort food and entertainment all my life so it's a huge challenge to control my cravings. Our minds are ever adapting so I'm sure this will get easier as this lifestyle is more ingrained.
    *fingers crossed*

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Keep in mind that the voice is YOURS, and you're just tempting yourself. I find that if I dwell on something that's bad for me and portray it (to myself) as delicious and desirable, then that voice gets stronger and stronger.
    You know, that really makes sense. I tend to think of that voice as exterior to me somehow (whew! sounds nuts!) and that it's ME who overcomes this OTHER! Of course, one trick is to completely ignore it and immerse myself in another idea until the voice goes away, which is really the only thing to do with any temptation. But, I will be thinking about the temptress in another light from now on.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

I just think of HIM when I'm tempted by crap

Stupid voice inside my head is telling me today that I need to go to the vending machine down the hall and buy some potato chips! To foil the voice, I told my office mate, "I keep thinking about potato chips." He quickly reached into his desk drawer and pulled out two snack bags, one of potato chips and one of some kind of whole wheat cheese flavored crispy snacks. "Here have one of these! This one says right on the bag that it's a healthy snack!"

I asked him to read the nutritional information from the back of the bags to me. Well, that put an end to the evil snack thoughts I was having really quickly. 29 grams of carbs in one ugly little snack. It's a good strategy and I'll try it again. I asked him to always make sure he has some snacks in his drawer so I can get him to read the info. off the back to me. He's a good guy. LOL!

AutumnP is offline Senior Member
    Nothing like a reality check from the back of a package. PB has given me a whole new take on labels.

Maybe when he eats one of those bags of carbs, he could give you the empty bag to store in your desk just in case he's not around and you need to review it!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    If you really have a voice in your head, you should get that checked out...
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnP View Post
    Nothing like a reality check from the back of a package. PB has given me a whole new take on labels.

Maybe when he eats one of those bags of carbs, he could give you the empty bag to store in your desk just in case he's not around and you need to review it!
    Not a bad idea! He was so sincere, too.

Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    If you really have a voice in your head, you should get that checked out...
    Yeah, been telling myself that for years!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast